The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I never said he'd get a bigger job, I said jobs in the Championship are not rare. Which they aren't. You could argue there won't be any available next season but in doing that you are simply arguing against the evidence of season's past. You then go all out in some sort of whatabootey stream of consciousness. So all in all that second paragraph makes little sense.
As for the knicker wetting, like the Morton fan I understand why a supporter of another team would only have a cursory grasp of the psyche of a fanbase I've been part of for (many) decades. If there is one thing St Mirren fans do, it's dour, and they do that in abundance. Ever hear us boo, ffs? We are masters of the perceived slight. Our fan base has been knicker wetting for years, and because Ross is clearly an asset the mindset is that we will somehow automatically lose him to anyone, just fucking anyone - in fact the idea that he didn't go to Dundee is still surprising to some of our support.

Overall - financial, status, progression, shop window for further progression, bigger club, bigger games, the list goes on.

Even if it was just financial, only in football would people expect someone to easily turn that down.

And far too much significance is being given to a potential Scottish Championship win on his CV, which he would still claim anyway even if he left today.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

And far too much significance is being given to a potential Scottish Championship win on his CV, which he would still claim anyway even if he left today.

I think it's more a personal goal. Were you happy you (and as a Morton fan I'm going to go out on a limb here.. ;)) passed your O levels, A levels, perhaps a degree or a masters. These are personal development milestones. To walk away from your first ever significant management accolade would seemingly go against what he's said previously. Of course he'll get a chance at another club, Barnsley is a massive gamble on both sides, imo.

So in that sense I'm not holding the Championship title as a CV addition, although it is, more that it would seem to be an important personal achievement.

Edited by Buddist Monk

13 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I never said he'd get a bigger job, I said jobs in the Championship are not rare. Which they aren't. You could argue there won't be any available next season but in doing that you are simply arguing against the evidence of season's past. You then go all out in some sort of whatabootey stream of consciousness. So all in all that second paragraph makes little sense.

As for the knicker wetting, like the Morton fan I understand why a supporter of another team would only have a cursory grasp of the psyche of a fanbase I've been part of for (many) decades. If there is one thing St Mirren fans do, it's dour, and they do that in abundance. Ever hear us boo, ffs? We are masters of the perceived slight. Our fan base has been knicker wetting for years, and because Ross is clearly an asset the mindset is that we will somehow automatically lose him to anyone, just fucking anyone - in fact the idea that he didn't go to Dundee is still surprising to some of our support.

You actually did say that (see below) but if you want to revise what you meant then fair enough. My second paragraph makes perfect sense, you've misunderstood it though. I'm not arguing there won't be any jobs available, I'm arguing that right now Jack Ross can't work on the assumption that he will be offered those jobs in 6 months time.

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

Which makes it all the more important not to shoot your bolt at the first girl who lifts her dress. Massive gamble compared to waiting 6 months and having a considerably better pick of teams (should he choose so).

13 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Buddist Monk really isn't taking this well, can't imagine the meltdown he'll have if/when Ross does leave.

If an offer did come in I wonder if he'd ask them if he can start next season, just so that he can get a title under his belt to add to his already good reputation. Barnsley probably wouldn't want that though and it'd be a case of massive pay rise or win a title.

He's put on quite the sideshow...

Barnsley whilst achieving little in their history have taken on new owners with supposed large level of investment funds available. 

This in its self has to be queried as the Swansea takeover has caused much consternation amongst a lot of fans done in South Wales especially the way their Fans Trust has been sidelined. There are questions over the actual level of investment but even a loan deal down there can cost millions i.e. Renato Sanchez. 

Barnsley have up until now had a policy of signing up young talent to augment the first team squad and have them step in when they receive bids for their top players. This has seemed to have borne fruit over the last few seasons going back to getting three million plus a sizeable sell on fee for John Stones.

They have obviously had dealings with St Mirren over the Mallan transfer and sourced Lindsay from Thistle as well so have at least a tentacle of their scouting network reaching into the Scottish game. Does this include a look at possible coaches producing talent to fit into their overall strategy? Quite possibly.

In terms of candidates they have been quoted with an interest in Grayson who has gone to Bradford and Cowley at Lincoln who has apparently knocked them back.

They gave Heckingbottom a four year contract weeks before him buggering off to Leeds.

The biggest name I've seen linked is Mick Mccarthy at Ipswich but this could just be down to him being a born and bred tyke and former captain of the club before moving to Man City back in the day.

The names after that seem to be coaches in the English leagues. Most I've not even heard of. 

So they are not a huge club but would have resources way above those in the Scottish league outside the top four or five teams.

Jack would certainly be a viable option and any compensation would be cheaper than even signing the likes of Ben Garner (WBA), Darren Moore (WBA) ley alone the likes of McCarthy and Grant McCaan at Peterborough. 

I could certainly see Jack fitting the bill at Oakwell. I guess we'll all find out soon enough as they want a new man in place by next weekend.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You actually did say that (see below) but if you want to revise what you meant then fair enough. My second paragraph makes perfect sense, you've misunderstood it though. I'm not arguing there won't be any jobs available, I'm arguing that right now Jack Ross can't work on the assumption that he will be offered those jobs in 6 months time.

Ah, ok, sorry, you know how these comment chains go, the initial quote gets buried by subsequent ones. My apologies for that.

I'd still stand by it, btw, in terms of "glorious" and "basketcase" the Barnsley job is considerably more slanted to the latter.

You could argue Ross' stock may be lower or that of the jobs available he'll not be linked with them, but that's just whatabootery. Something I suppose we are both indulging in, and all we can do is agree that he might or might not. His stock will be higher though as he will have won a league and now testing himself against the OF. A yardstick that is sickeningly used by those outside Scottish football.

Edited by Buddist Monk

12 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Barnsley whilst achieving little in their history have taken on new owners with supposed large level of investment funds available. 

Jack would certainly be a viable option and any compensation would be cheaper than even signing the likes of Ben Garner (WBA), Darren Moore (WBA) ley alone the likes of McCarthy and Grant McCaan at Peterborough. 

I could certainly see Jack fitting the bill at Oakwell. I guess we'll all find out soon enough as they want a new man in place by next weekend.

Your whole post is a good summary, the one caveat regarding the investment. That's fine when the window is open. A relegation battle is no fun when you have the money to spend but can't spend it.

12 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

The names after that seem to be coaches in the English leagues. Most I've not even heard of. 

So they are not a huge club but would have resources way above those in the Scottish league outside the top four or five teams.

McCarthy, Monk, Robinson, Robins and several others have all been "soft" linked. These are all well kent names.

Edited by Buddist Monk

1 minute ago, Buddist Monk said:

Your whole post is a good summary, the one caveat regarding the investment. That's fine when the window is open. A relegation battle is no fun when you have the money to spend but can't spend it.

McCarthy, Monk, Robinson, Robins and several others have all been "soft" linked. These are all well kent names.

According to Alan Nixon on twitter McCarthy may not be a goer as Barnsley are interviewing for the position and McCarthy isn't likely to be up for that. 

Also Jack would come in within the budget set by the new owners.

The names you mention could well fall out with the budget Barnsley have ring fenced for their new manager.

Interesting times and all that...

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

The names you mention could well fall out with the budget Barnsley have ring fenced for their new manager.

Yet your previous reply stated... "supposed large level of investment funds available" ..which would surely open up more managerial options.

Not sure of the actual cost of dropping a division, but I'm guessing it would be considerably more than what they'd pay even a top top manager for a season.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Normally I would agree with you. 

However, in the summer, St Mirren knocked back an offer from Burton Albion, a side who were always likely to be (and are) struggling in the English Championship for Lewis Morgan. 

Jack Ross was interviewed in the wake of this and asked if Lewis was upset, disappointed or angry at missing out his chance to prove himself at a higher level and Jack said to the press that Lewis has confidence in his own ability to be certain that bigger and better opportunities were coming by continuing to do what he's doing. That he'd bide his time and get the big move as he had belief in his ability to do so. 

Jack Ross will almost certainly apply that advice to himself that he imparted onto Morgan. I'm not saying he won't take the Barnsley job if offered. He might well do so if the job and opportunity appeals to him. I'm saying that your logic of him taking it as his fear of a job not being there in 6 months due to his stock potentially falling doesn't really apply to him.

If it did he'd have jumped ship a league upwards to Dundee at the first opportunity. 

Anyway, Que sera. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Couldn't stomach such a wonderful man going to Sevco in the summer though. 

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Normally I would agree with you. 

However, in the summer, St Mirren knocked back an offer from Burton Albion, a side who were always likely to be (and are) struggling in the English Championship for Lewis Morgan. 

Jack Ross was interviewed in the wake of this and asked if Lewis was upset, disappointed or angry at missing out his chance to prove himself at a higher level and Jack said to the press that Lewis has confidence in his own ability to be certain that bigger and better opportunities were coming by continuing to do what he's doing. That he'd bide his time and get the big move as he had belief in his ability to do so. 

Jack Ross will almost certainly apply that advice to himself that he imparted onto Morgan. I'm not saying he won't take the Barnsley job if offered. He might well do so if the job and opportunity appeals to him. I'm saying that your logic of him taking it as his fear of a job not being there in 6 months due to his stock potentially falling doesn't really apply to him.

If it did he'd have jumped ship a league upwards to Dundee at the first opportunity. 

Anyway, Que sera. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Couldn't stomach such a wonderful man going to Sevco in the summer though. 

Careful, that sort of sensible logic does not go down well here...

Spoiler

R5p9G94.gif

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Yet your previous reply stated... "supposed large level of investment funds available" ..which would surely open up more managerial options.

Not sure of the actual cost of dropping a division, but I'm guessing it would be considerably more than what they'd pay even a top top manager for a season.

They will definitely have to consider that eventuality and way that up accordingly.

As you quoted though the levels of investment are 'supposedly' high. Even so they will have a budget to work too.

At Swansea there has been a lot of anger from fans at the perceived lack of investment from their new owners.

I've no idea what wages are expected by experienced managers in the Championship but I wouldn't be surprised if some are after seven figure packages which despite investment may be too rich for the bean counters.

This is very exciting......

Maybe (just maybe) there could be a wee twist in the tale before the final outcome of the championship is decided.

There is no doubting that Ross has done an unbelievable job with you lads and a change in manager could maybe upset things a little.

If this turns out to be the case, and all you Buddies quite justifiablygo and hunt down Buddist Monk for cursing you with his (some could argue) presumptuous and somewhat premature  banner about being champions, can you let us know when his well deserved punishment is going to be doled out, as we would definitely bring a busload down to watch.....

Cheers.

1 minute ago, MacArab said:

This is very exciting......

Maybe (just maybe) there could be a wee twist in the tale before the final outcome of the championship is decided.

There is no doubting that Ross has done an unbelievable job with you lads and a change in manager could maybe upset things a little.

If this turns out to be the case, and all you Buddies quite justifiablygo and hunt down Buddist Monk for cursing you with his (some could argue) presumptuous and somewhat premature  banner about being champions, can you let us know when his well deserved punishment is going to be doled out, as we would definitely bring a busload down to watch.....

Cheers.

On the flip side, does that mean I am lauded when we do officially receive the title? Will you United boys be sending down a bus for my party? ;)

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

On the flip side, does that mean I am lauded when we do officially receive the title? Will you United boys be sending down a bus for my party? ;)

No. Of course not.....

That wouldn’t be very much fun now would it?