Confederations Cup 2017

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I don't entirely follow the logic anyway. Surely you give the earliest penalties to your best penalty takers. You can't lose if you don't miss. If you miss you might not reach the 5th taker.

Alan Shearer was England's #9 at the time and was in the programme swearing blind that the best tactic was for him to hammer home the first kick.

I'm trying to recall but I think they analysed how the players' bodies reacted as the shoot out progresses (heart rate, breathing etc.) and evaluated that the stress levels experienced increased with every kick up to sudden death, whereas the penalty accuracy averages decreased.

The conclusion was that a less skilful player was more likely to miss later in the shootout.

Interesting programme IIRC, however two decades on and England are still shite at penalties :lol:

2 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Alan Shearer was England's #9 at the time and was in the programme swearing blind that the best tactic was for him to hammer home the first kick.

I'm trying to recall but I think they analysed how the players' bodies reacted as the shoot out progresses (heart rate, breathing etc.) and evaluated that the stress levels experienced increased with every kick up to sudden death, whereas the penalty accuracy averages decreased.

The conclusion was that a less skilful player was more likely to miss later in the shootout.

Interesting programme IIRC, however two decades on and England are still shite at penalties :lol:

Always remember Shearer rattling them into the top corner as hard as he could.

He probably only did it once, but it stuck in my head as something he did every time.

I hate to praise Glen Hoddle but he did well in politely contradicting Captain Mainwaring Tyldesley who was trying to belittle the Chile team as he's in full Little Englander mode tonight and jealous as f**k his beloved England are shit. 

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It's interesting that they mention Germany devaluing the tournament by playing a B team. I wish Scotland had an A team as good as their B team!

That suggests the tournament had any credibility to start with.

Archived