"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

So, finding it hard to defend Dodds and Robertson?

When did you decide it was my job to advocate on behalf of messrs Robertson and Dodds?

As far as this matter is concerned, I have restricted myself to the very basic premise that with key players missing and they have been to a greater or greater extent throughout this season, it is unrealistic to set expectations too high.

Moreover, it is being postulated that in the face of even more players being unavailable, injuries and illness are not to be regarded as a fair mitigation. This is an absurdity.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I’ve seen fans saying if Dodds went they’d want the likes of Ryan Esson or Ross Tokely given the job. Dear me. Can people not see that this club needs fresh ideas not one of the same old clique?

I agree, but is this talk or online? If so please link or quote source. I liked like to read the reasoning behind this thinking.

5 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I’ve seen fans saying if Dodds went they’d want the likes of Ryan Esson or Ross Tokely given the job. Dear me. Can people not see that this club needs fresh ideas not one of the same old clique?

Paul Hartley has to be first choice, for me.

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

Paul Hartley has to be first choice, for me.

Fits two of the three criteria on Gardiner's checklist having worked with him before and having Hearts connections, so despite spectacularly failing the most important test in Gardiner's eyes by not only not being a staunch Rangers fan but being an ex-Celtic player and fan, this is a very realistic shout.

Surely some of our players from when we were good must be working their way through their coaching badges now. Owain Tudur Jones is currently coaching at international level* and once headbutted a guy for no reason. Give it to him.

*assistant manager of the Wales C team

Edited by Stephen Malkmus

18 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Would you rather he didn't?

Obviously my preference would be for a new manager and not to boot players through mismanagement.

A Manager who is experienced in player man management which gives players confidence would  would give us a bounce.

From this and another forum that seems to be the general consensus.

16 hours ago, sophia said:

When did you decide it was my job to advocate on behalf of messrs Robertson and Dodds?

As far as this matter is concerned, I have restricted myself to the very basic premise that with key players missing and they have been to a greater or greater extent throughout this season, it is unrealistic to set expectations too high.

Moreover, it is being postulated that in the face of even more players being unavailable, injuries and illness are not to be regarded as a fair mitigation. This is an absurdity.

The excuse of injuries has been moved to a new excuse of players not being good enough for ICT.

I expect that excuses may well run to the training pitch at Ardersier being too windy or that the fish suppers at Auchterarder are the cause etc etc etc.

Absurd maybe but more than possible.

4 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Obviously my preference would be for a new manager and not to boot players through mismanagement.

A Manager who is experienced in player man management which gives players confidence would  would give us a bounce.

No Sandy, there is no consensus, rather it's a few posters from two websites circularly quoting each other with unsubstantiated claims and ridiculous demands.

Again and for those that were off on the day they taught comprehension, having a full team unavailable will inevitably lead to a drop off in quality.

If the tricky finances rumours are true it could be a difficult window. Punting failures, signing players for nothing hoping they're better, and having to ensure there are still enough players to field a team until injuries subside.

Oh, and you have to be suspicious whenever there is an 'injury crisis'. What caused it? Are there issues with the training regime?

1 minute ago, sophia said:

No Sandy, there is no consensus, rather it's a few posters from two websites circularly quoting each other with unsubstantiated claims and ridiculous demands.

Again and for those that were off on the day they taught comprehension, having a full team unavailable will inevitably lead to a drop off in quality.

Well the mods on CTO last week  had to suspend the thread on the Partick game as apparently posts were getting out of hand, Scotty, the founder, then issued a warning to all posters and the thread was re-opened. 

It's not a few posters as you like to think.

Anew manger can make the difference, Ayr and Morton for example, two clubs which were going nowhere until Bullen and Imrie were signed.

13 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Didn't Steve Paterson tear into his players gave some of them ultimatums, did it in public as well on occasion when normally it was kept behind the dressing room door?

The players that didn't take him seriously were binned, he wasn't bluffing.

The manager is in charge, not the players.

11 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Well the mods on CTO last week  had to suspend the thread on the Partick game as apparently posts were getting out of hand, Scotty, the founder, then issued a warning to all posters and the thread was re-opened. 

Anew manger can make the difference, Ayr and Morton for example, two clubs which were going nowhere until Bullen and Imrie were signed.

Any new manager can bounce a club, but it doesn't last.

The real deal is when things are going wrong and how everyone responds to it, learns and recovers from it. Lessons we have learned but somehow forgotten.

I would just like to see us fight like f**k over every blade of grass even if it means a worse disciplinary record, this is what we used to do previously at this level. Never give up never give away ground freely. Don't care if everyone hates us and calls us names, this shows we are hurting them by beating them.

27 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

It quite literally is Sandy.

Count.

Count them.

The notion that having loads of serious, persistant injuries is simply bad luck is straight out of the sports science dark ages. It's also clear that our recruitment of squad / backup players over the past year or so has been awful. It's also apparent that we have no discernable style of play.

The injuries probably haven't been helped by appointing a novice head of the medical dept. and combining that with a fitness coach who was running the players into the ground in pre-season / the start of the season to a level above that seen in previous years.

The recruitment hasn't been helped by having a sporting director who is more interested in earning money for his commentary work than actually getting out and scouting.

The style of play hasn't been helped by having a manager and coaching staff who don't seem particularly keen to bring their ideas of coaching into the 2020s through any form of continuous professional development.

On the other hand, the lads on the last page have that cow in prime physical condition and it looks like it would run through brick walls for The Caley. That's the sort of organisational arrangement we should be aspiring to.

Edited by Stephen Malkmus

32 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

The notion that having loads of serious, persistant injuries is simply bad luck is straight out of the sports science dark ages. It's also clear that our recruitment of squad / backup players over the past year or so has been awful. It's also apparent that we have no discernable style of play.

The injuries probably haven't been helped by appointing a novice head of the medical dept. and combining that with a fitness coach who was running the players into the ground in pre-season / the start of the season to a level above that seen in previous years.

The recruitment hasn't been helped by having a sporting director who is more interested in earning money for his commentary work than actually getting out and scouting.

The style of play hasn't been helped by having a manager and coaching staff who don't seem particularly keen to bring their ideas of coaching into the 2020s through any form of continuous professional development.

On the other hand, the lads on the last page have that cow in prime physical condition and it looks like it would run through brick walls for The Caley. That's the sort of organisational arrangement we should be aspiring to.

The circumstances surrounding each injury were fully shared on The Wyness Shuffle podcast and if there is a scientific solution that helps mitigate against impact injuries, then that's a great thing indeed. 

1 hour ago, sophia said:

The circumstances surrounding each injury were fully shared on The Wyness Shuffle podcast and if there is a scientific solution that helps mitigate against impact injuries, then that's a great thing indeed. 

Individually tailored programmes focused on strengthening muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones would certainly mitigate against these things, as well as adequate recovery times and proper dietary advice. 

2 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Individually tailored programmes focused on strengthening muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones would certainly mitigate against these things, as well as adequate recovery times and proper dietary advice. 

Cool but why didn't you let Craig Gordon know earlier