"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Why did he turn you down? Was it solely salary? 

I guess no one will know for sure but would imagine so when he turned us down first time he would have pretty much been guaranteed to be a starter and didn't seem to fall out as the management kept him around for a while after he was reported not to be joining us.

So yes imagine he wanted something similar to his premiership wages than we were prepared to offer.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

I guess no one will know for sure but would imagine so when he turned us down first time he would have pretty much been guaranteed to be a starter and didn't seem to fall out as the management kept him around for a while after he was reported not to be joining us.

So yes imagine he wanted something similar to his premiership wages than we were prepared to offer.

Did your board not just refuse to sign too many over 30s, which is why McGowan also never signed, and McPake chose O'Halloran while Wotherspoon was away with Canada?

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did your board not just refuse to sign too many over 30s, which is why McGowan also never signed, and McPake chose O'Halloran while Wotherspoon was away with Canada?

Given that rumour started on our more crazy forum .net I think it's safe to say not. Wotherspoon is a really decent player but we brought in Summers who I would say is better, albeit is on loan.

21 minutes ago, 101 said:

Watching them play? What did you think?

I guessed that, but Wotherspoon barely played for us last season (for a variety of reasons) so im just interested in how often a Dunfermline fan couldve actually seen him play.

12 hours ago, 101 said:

I'd like to see him sign for us but if he's holding out for more money then we're definitely not the answer.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I guessed that, but Wotherspoon barely played for us last season (for a variety of reasons) so im just interested in how often a Dunfermline fan couldve actually seen him play.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

A 19 year old Celtic youth who has played about 10 first team games in his life is better than David Wotherspoon? Interesting. 

Wotherspoon should be able to make a more immediate impact (or his legs could be gone with his injury problems, I don't know).

However Summers looks like a future superstar. Genuinely a cut above most of the loans from the OF you see down in the diddy leagues. Would be willing to put money on him getting a Scotland cap in a few years.

Personally I'm glad Wotherspoon turned us down (although I think he should be a great signing for anyone in the league), if it meant we got Summers instead and get to enjoy watching him for a year before he moves on to bigger and better things. 

Hopefully Spoony finds himself a team. He hasn't been a regular starter for Canada but he's been a good squad player for us so he deserves to find a club somewhere.   

That being said, now that John Herdman is gone I doubt he will get more call ups 

On 10/10/2023 at 11:33, par-adise said:

However Summers looks like a future superstar. Genuinely a cut above most of the loans from the OF you see down in the diddy leagues. Would be willing to put money on him getting a Scotland cap in a few years.

Twenty quid says he won't by 2028.

On 10/10/2023 at 10:26, TheScarf said:

A 19 year old Celtic youth who has played about 10 first team games in his life is better than David Wotherspoon? Interesting. 

Wotherspoon in his prime? No. A Wotherspoon coming off a major injury who's barely played in two years? Who knows. 

On 09/10/2023 at 21:49, RandomGuy. said:

I don't think its an outright refusal as such,  but we certainly have a bias in where we spend our money towards younger players.   I think if we had two players were deciding about and it was going to take a 10k signing on fee to secure an experienced guy we'd turn it down but if it took a £10k extra compensation to sign a youngster we'll spend it. For Wetherspoon it was rumored(read could be shite) that there was a deal on the table he turned down which we wouldn't budge from and he later came back willing to accept the original offer but we had moved our focus elsewhere.

Wotherspoon has a fantastic pedigree in the game, that is clear, but the fact he's not signed up for anyone in mid october is quite unusual. 

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Wotherspoon has a fantastic pedigree in the game, that is clear, but the fact he's not signed up for anyone in mid october is quite unusual. 

Especially when your club was first linked with him back in July and he's still without a club.

His fitness at game level will deteriorate as time goes on.

Probably he's looking for wages closer to the Premiership which will put Championship clubs off. 

33 minutes ago, Supercaleyman94 said:

After the loan window closes (End of September) clubs can only sign a free agent on a short term deal till January. 

Where on earth have you conjured that up from?