• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

Of course the deal now is, they've made a rod for their own back with this, they have to make sure they get the players in who will get them promoted at the first time of asking.

Just now, TheScarf said:

Of course the deal now is, they've made a rod for their own back with this, they have to make sure they get the players in who will get them promoted at the first time of asking.

Brad Mckay on a three year deal IMO.

6 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The statement just makes no sense to me. How do County manage to get by when it comes to players needing somewhere to live? How have they managed to compete by not operating in the central belt? As a previous resident of the city, Inverness is fucking class. Great place to live. I found places to live quite easily and don't earn a footballers wage.  If players don't want to move up there or to the general area because it's too far then f**k 'em. It's hardly the ends of the earth, if you want to go to the central belt for a visit you can get a bus, train - sleeper train even - and there's an airport with plenty of domestic options for those wanting to go further afield. The whole statement just reeks of shite, the Caley board have gone nuclear and it's going to hurt the club.

The issue is that we are generally competing for young players with clubs who are driving distance from their current homes.  This means additional costs/hassle for players and quite often players don't want to go away from where they are settled.

This is an issue we've had forever though and we somehow managed to go through the leagues, win cups and promotion without doing this.

Generally we have recruited players from our local area or young guys released from other clubs to get around this.  It means we aren't really in the running for experienced players at our level but that hasn't held us back.

It's just absolutely sickening.  I think a lot of fans will give up at this point.

Moving out of the city, given the success that the club has achieved in a short period of time, to train further south reeks of making excuses for management failures over the past few years. I'm assuming the club had no issues hiring players during the relatively successful years, and that they trained locally, of course.

But to choose Kelty as a base reeks of either stupidity or a death wish for the club, and although Gardiner has made obviously dense errors in the past, this tops them all. Perhaps he's aiming for an administration event.

1 hour ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

Am I right in thinking Stranraer do something similar? Due to their overwhelming success finishing (checks notes), bottom of League 2, it seems like a good model to follow!

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Second thoughts. 

I see the logic, it's geographicaly nearer the player pool, but it's still a bit tcheuctery.

25 minutes ago, Brad Bobley said:

Genuine question to any Stranraer or QotS (or indeed any other club in a similar boat) fans skimming through:

Does it make that much of a difference?

I know Dumfries/Stranraer to Glasgow is completely different from Inverness to *checks notes* Kelty, but generally interested about the premise, more than choice or execution of what seems quite a bizarre choice over somewhere like Stirling or Perth.

I appreciate this is new for Inverness and fans will be annoyed but this really isn't a big surprise. The majority of remote clubs in Scottish senior football do something similar do they not? We train in Hamilton. Stranraer train in Ayrshire or Glasgow somewhere I think. Do all the Angus clubs not train in Edinburgh or Perth? I think Peterhead do too. Clearly County don't and Aberdeen don't need to. Unsure about Cove? Annan choose to train in Annan but half their squad are from Dumfries or Carlisle anyway.

The level ICT and County are operating at there clearly isn't sufficient "local" talent to keep them there and it takes vast swathes of extra wages to persuade guys from the Central Belt to relocate to Inverness. If they can sign for Dunfermline or Falkirk instead they'll want an extra few hundred / free house to even think about Inverness or County. I know County maintain a pile of houses in Inverness for that reason. I assume Inverness probably do too? That's why both clubs have more English / foreign players than typical in Scotland. It also makes it far less likely any experienced player with a family is going to move there.

League 1 is an absolute money pit for full time football. There's no way Caley could afford to continue it and not haemorrhage £1m+ losses.

A lot of our fans would like us to return to training in Dumfries but it's no way forward. We couldn't remotely afford to do so full time and remain competitive. As a part time team you could but generally it's an acceptance that League 2 with an occasional League 1 foray a la Annan currently is your level. If players won't sign full time for us to train in Dumfries just over an hour from Glasgow, they certainly aren't going to do so for Inverness a 2 hour+ drive away.

51 minutes ago, starryfish said:

What if you are a Caley player, signed for next season, with a house in Inverness? 

A very good question. Other than youth products, are there any? I'd imagine senior players are probably mostly year to year or living in club houses anyway and would be happy to move back towards the Central Belt. I'd assume the club will provide transport for young pros from Inverness to go, we do.

33 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Pars went into the 1st division and we reported frightening losses, ICT are admitting they are cash strapped and trying out something to help them move forward, players not wanting the expense of moves north for the possibility of being in a job for a year or two makes perfect sense to me, but clearly not the fans of ITC. 
I think if my club was skint and going backwards I’d be prepared to try anything to help it fight for its life, I have in the past and would again, and that would mean me still buying my season ticket at the very least. You’ll end up with the club your attitude will deserve if you don’t help stop the rot. 
Best of luck to you either way

This. League 1 is a suicidal money pit for full time clubs. We'll have lost more than £0.5m in the last 2 seasons maintaining operations as they were in the ambition of returning to the Championship within 2 years. Hasn't worked so we'll have to get more creative. Dunfermline reported a £1m+ loss didn't they for the one season? Falkirk have been losing money hand over fist for several seasons and that's despite attendances in the 4,000 range which neither us nor ICT are going to get. Cove run hybrid off significant sponsorship and train on their own pitch. I assume they overpay for the elements of their squad who travel from the Central Belt.

Also, there are players who want to move to the Highlands.  Josh Sims and Ross Callachan both specifically moved to experience life up here.  

I thing Gardiner’s justification is disingenuous. 

17 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The statement just makes no sense to me. How do County manage to get by when it comes to players needing somewhere to live? How have they managed to compete by not operating in the central belt? As a previous resident of the city, Inverness is fucking class. Great place to live. I found places to live quite easily and don't earn a footballers wage.  If players don't want to move up there or to the general area because it's too far then f**k 'em. It's hardly the ends of the earth, if you want to go to the central belt for a visit you can get a bus, train - sleeper train even - and there's an airport with plenty of domestic options for those wanting to go further afield. The whole statement just reeks of shite, the Caley board have gone nuclear and it's going to hurt the club.

Roy McGregor has a street of houses he puts them in (or he certainly used to, no reason to doubt he still does).

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

Yeah! Withholding money from the cash strapped club you support will help eh? Your club is trying something a bit different to try and attract players who can help them climb the leagues, what about backing your team to see if it works out for the greater good? It may not be forever, but withholding money from your club definitely won’t help. 

There is more going on that maybe you are not aware of, for a start there is a clear disconnect between the fans and club, then we have a CEO who has ran the club into the ground and a Manager who has seen us relegated and cannot accept the fact that he failed, the club knows that we are not happy and that we want to see major changes starting with the two aforementioned, so far the club has been aware of fans discontent but continually ignored us, the right to reserve withholding season tickets renewals is our only weapon and a last resort.

Todays announcement means a further community disconnect by the club where players will be unavailable to interact with various activities, charitable or otherwise, after weekday training.

There's some logic to saying that they will open up the possibility of signing some central belt players by allowing those players to join the club without relocating but the downsides surely grossly outweigh that benefit. 

You've got nothing unique to offer those central belt players other than the pleasure of a six hour round trip every fortnight but that's not really a selling point. Against that you'll have the inevitable damage caused to relations with the fans, the disconnect which the players will feel from the local area. In moving to the central belt you're moving away from all those players who are already local to ICT, including, presumably young players from Inverness who may have an actual affinity with the club. You go from being a major attraction in a beautiful part of the world, albeit with some logistical issues in attracting players from further afield, to a shite option for central belt players who already have two dozen clubs on their doorstep.

Fwiw, I don't think it'll happen. The backlash will be such that the plan will be abandoned and those responsible shown the door. Hopefully. On the season ticket issue, I most certainly wouldn't be buying if it were my club. The club will survive, at whatever level, and can rebuild once the bell-ends have been removed.

I'd be interested to know what the major shareholders think of this - David Sutherland for one.  is he in favour of this?

I think some people, particularly on the Caley forum, think the whole club is being moved to Kelty.  It's just the training, tonnes of other clubs in Scotland do it.  It just feel and looks more extreme because Kelty is probably 4 times further away from Inverness than Abrroath is to Edinburgh (where Arbroath train) or twice the distance than Dumfries is to Glasgow (where QOTS train).

A question for Abroarh fans on who may be reading the thread, do you care that the vast majority of your players train and live in Edinburgh?  Did it bother you 2 seasons ago for example?