"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

26 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Thought that was John Baird emoji38.png

I would have preferred Baird up front yesterday but obviously Robertson wanted to give Duffy a game.

Baird was on the pitch before the game having a kick about with his wee boy.

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• Highland Capital

To be fair, Elgin beating ICT in a meaningless friendly probably trumps their wedding days or the birth of their children for most of their fans.

On 07/07/2017 at 21:41, SandyCromarty said:

Seems to be some doubt over the signings given that they have had no first team experience, fair enough but the game in Scotland does differ in the physical aspect and less time on the ball and players we recruited under Butcher did shine during trialling but then went into wake up when league duty came along, as I recall Hayes for instance was no overnight sensation and it took a while for him to settle in and truth be told with his behaviour overall off park it was touch and go for a while, the same applied to a few others, the only two who really blended in in no time were Watkins and Storey.

Sure some players will look the biz trialling in lesser opposition friendlies, that's a given, but with the limited resources and position we are in at the moment the players we have signed is where we are at, we cannot expect experienced and proven first team players to come to a club which has been recently relegated, the club has to cut it's cloth to suit.

Obviously some fans find this difficult but as I said in an earlier post you can only piss with the cock you've got.

Watkins didn't really come onto a game until Hughes became manager. The only signings that made a big difference right away after we went down and then came back up of the top of my head were Warren, Brill and Andrew Shinnie, I'm sure there were a few more. Indeed Hayes took time and it wasn't until Rooney became a regular that he found his feet, up til' then I remember his work rate which was fantastic, looked far more interested than Dougie Imrie the player he eventually replaced in the starting 11.

I hope people remember that we didn't look anything like league title contenders for quite a few months during that season in the old 1st, Butcher and Malpas did a lot of chopping and changing before finding a preferred system and our best players out of the squad that would eventually chase down Dundee and win the league. I mean Terry and Mo even brought back Stuart Golabek a few months into the season to replace the awful Lionel Djebi-Zadi. So the start of the new season probably won't be much different as back then and when finally we find our feet lets see where it takes us, everyone has just got to be patient in the mean time.

Problem is expectations now among supporters are a lot higher than back then, we have been spoilt during the Butcher and then Hughes years and taken for granted our place in the Premiership as much as others have got used to us being there. As much as it reads odd now that I think about it I preferred it when fans of other clubs and the Glasgow based media, etc told us we didn't deserve to be in the top league for various excuses as some do with Hamilton Accies now, it gave us a reason and motivation to prove them wrong which we did for a time until the club became complacent and we somehow lost it. I hope its just part of the collective learning process of the club and we can come back stronger and wiser.

Edited by CityDave

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:41, SandyCromarty said:

Seems to be some doubt over the signings given that they have had no first team experience, fair enough but the game in Scotland does differ in the physical aspect and less time on the ball and players we recruited under Butcher did shine during trialling but then went into wake up when league duty came along, as I recall Hayes for instance was no overnight sensation and it took a while for him to settle in and truth be told with his behaviour overall off park it was touch and go for a while, the same applied to a few others, the only two who really blended in in no time were Watkins and Storey.

Sure some players will look the biz trialling in lesser opposition friendlies, that's a given, but with the limited resources and position we are in at the moment the players we have signed is where we are at, we cannot expect experienced and proven first team players to come to a club which has been recently relegated, the club has to cut it's cloth to suit.

Obviously some fans find this difficult but as I said in an earlier post you can only piss with the cock you've got.

Fair point, there were various tales of Hayes' 'exuberance' back in the day, such as chasing people out of house parties with his shirt off and a knife in each hand

4 minutes ago, Jarballs said:

Fair point, there were various tales of Hayes' 'exuberance' back in the day, such as chasing people out of house parties with his shirt off and a knife in each hand

He settled down when he got a steady girlfriend in Inverness, probably the making of him.

Edited by SandyCromarty

36 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Watkins didn't really come onto a game until Hughes became manager. The only signings that made a big difference right away after we went down and then came back up of the top of my head were Warren, Brill and Andrew Shinnie, I'm sure there were a few more. Indeed Hayes took time and it wasn't until Rooney became a regular that he found his feet, up til' then I remember his work rate which was fantastic, looked far more interested than Dougie Imrie the player he eventually replaced in the starting 11.

I'm not so sure about Shinnie.  When he first signed he was very poor and took a few months to get going.  Hayes started off slow as you say, if I remember right, he came off the bench in our first game of the season and was kept out of the team by Robert Eagle (remember him!).  Watkins got a bad injury pre-season and then got injured again meaning that he only really broke into the team a month or two before Butcher went.

If Raven leaves as is being rumoured (:() then how many players would that allow us to sign?

I can see Chalmers and Blake or Cooper getting offered deals so that leaves David Ferguson and Jack Leitch free to leave unless Rave leaves.  

We still need another Striker in after the one expected soon, that leaves us with Baird, Oakley, new striker and Macrae so one needed as cover.

11 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

Are you's signing Leitch?Cause we'll be glad to get rid of himemoji38.png

I wouldn't imagine so.  Robbo wants to two or three more apparently, with one seeming being a Dutch striker signing shortly and Joe Chalmers.  I would imagine he'd sign Cooper over Leitch, who's looked pretty mediocre in every match he's played so far.  Tidy enough, but I don't think we'd break into our team.

Any word on the new Striker that Robbo said on Friday, was close to signing, is it Genaro Zeefuik as many on Twitter seem to think?

Also, is Jack Leitch, Alex Cooper, Andrew Blake, David Ferguson and Joe Chalmers in with a chance of a deal?

9 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Cooper is mince aswell, he takes a mean free kick that's about it, probably last chance saloon for him at this level, having failed at us and St.Mirren.

I thought he'd be playing in the juniors by now. Was shocked to see him linked to ICT.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I thought he'd be playing in the juniors by now. Was shocked to see him linked to ICT.

We're going Tesco Value this season lads. It's going to be good.