Incident at London Bridge

8 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Playing devil's advocate here, but there were Protestant republicans.

Good position to take and a perfectly reasonable one.  I have no issue with Irish Republicanism and see it as a decent cause.  I'd go further and say it would be sensible for Ireland to be one country.

Not the same as supporting either guise of The RA who, by any measure, in both iterations, were sectarian terrorists who deliberately killed people for no other reason than they were protestants.

So Irish Nationalism is absolutely fine.  Irish terrorism?  It's on the same plane as Muslim terrorism.  The big difference is that P&B offers a safe haven to one.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Good position to take and a perfectly reasonable one.  I have no issue with Irish Republicanism and see it as a decent cause.  I'd go further and say it would be sensible for Ireland to be one country.

Not the same as supporting either guise of The RA who, by any measure, in both iterations, were sectarian terrorists who deliberately killed people for no other reason than they were protestants.

So Irish Nationalism is absolutely fine.  Irish terrorism?  It's on the same plane as Muslim terrorism.  The big difference is that P&B offers a safe haven to one.

They also targeted areas where it was as likely to kill a Catholic as a Protestant, much like Islamic extremists killing was an indiscriminate act largely.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Class that I've taken three pills today and I am not anywhere near as hammered as Kincy is on his usual gin soaked spree.

Hasn't helped your brain, chummy.  Not that I'm surprised.

6 minutes ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

They also targeted areas where it was as likely to kill a Catholic as a Protestant, much like Islamic extremists killing was an indiscriminate act largely.

Again, we know this is a half-truth.  The RA indulged in ethnic cleansing, especially in West Ireland, and also burned folk out of their houses by dint of them being Protestant.  

Are we having an argument here, buddy?

Nah I'm just laughing at you twisting a horrible tragedy to suit your own weird obsession with Norn Ireland politics. Wind your neck in for one minute.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Nah I'm just laughing at you twisting a horrible tragedy to suit your own weird obsession with Norn Ireland politics. Wind your neck in for one minute.

So that means we ARE having an argument?  Let's make it a quick one.  Quote me making reference to NI and I'll f**k off.

We agree here WRK as we agree on much.  I am just sick to the back teeth of Irish Catholics and Muslims killing folk in London in the name of religion.  They can all GTF.  Just be nice and use the ballot box.
As for Senor Gonzalez?  The fastest mouse in all Mexico and a tribute from those of us from Estadio Ibroxino to our new Mexican overlords.

Like I can't mind any IRA bombings these past few years but ah right. I'm sure there's a reason you insisted on making an issue about catholic terrorists in 2017.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Like I can't mind any IRA bombings these past few years but ah right. I'm sure there's a reason you insisted on making an issue about catholic terrorists in 2017.

As I said...quote me making reference to NI and I'll f**k off.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Britain's homeland terrorism in my lifetime has come form Catholics and Muslims.  I know saying this makes some people uncomfortable.  I'm an agnostic so do not understand what motivates these people.  In other situations you and I would likely get along pretty well.

I'm fairly sure we would - it would help if we could agree that the Catholic nutters had some competition in Ulster/TFS/The Six Counties/Norn Iron, though. Not on the mainland, obviously, but certainly in their homeland.

The change in the IRA from actual freedom-fighters way, way back had been perverted (and mirrored by their loyalist counterparts) to such an extent that, when the GFA emptied a shedload of cells in Irish Prisons, those cells for a large part welcomed their original inhabitants back almost before the mattresses were cold - because no matter the banner hese cúnts wrapped themselves in, for decades there was no struggle for freedom or defence of a British ideal - just organised crime on a grand scale.

1 hour ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Although 100% accurate in what you say. This is a 'first world view'. Religion has a grip in poorly educated and under developed countries, where shamen, juju and all sorts of bizzare shit still goes on.

Education is an important factor here as well as religions influence within education.

Hence what I posted earlier about dropping food, medicine and books instead of Hellfires, Paveways and Brimstone. "Hearts and minds" is a laudable concept, but it cannot be enacted by grunts dressed in high tech armoured uniforms, arriving in armoured vehicles and carrying weapons.

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I'm fairly sure we would - it would help if we could agree that the Catholic nutters had some competition in Ulster/TFS/The Six Counties/Norn Iron, though. Not on the mainland, obviously, but certainly in their homeland.

I'm not a fan of Protestant nutters either.  This is why I cheer the Orange parades who vaunt the rule of law and who annually celebrate the supremacy of parliament over the crown.  I feel we're on the same page here.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Hence what I posted earlier about dropping food, medicine and books instead of Hellfires, Paveways and Brimstone. "Hearts and minds" is a laudable concept, but it cannot be enacted by grunts dressed in high tech armoured uniforms, arriving in armoured vehicles and carrying weapons.

As an aside...as I've mentioned before my town has some excellent grammar schools (however you think of them) and the local mosques band together to help their weans prepare for the 11+.  They have faced some opprobrium for so doing but I think it's a terrific idea.  We both agree that the pen is mightier than the suicide vest.

19 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm not a fan of Protestant nutters either.  This is why I cheer the Orange parades who vaunt the rule of law and who annually celebrate the supremacy of parliament over the crown.  I feel we're on the same page here.

Oh, dear, Kincy - not even in the same book. When we start celebrating "supremacy", we're on a very slippery slope. Leading to Treesa thinking she'd call an election to act as a Coronation - and a large swathe of the population seeing this as appropriate as she must be something somehow better than them, but if they offer beisance some of her lustre may rub off on them.

The authority in this country lies with the people, not Parliament. They work for us, and we should never, ever let them forget that. If we (as a Nation) did, we would end up in a society where all the benefits went to those at the top while the rest became conditioned to accept survival as an acceptable aim.

A bit like UK2017, in fact.

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The authority in this country lies with the people, not Parliament.

Aye, very good Wat Tyler.

We all know authority of the people is devolved to Parliament and Parliament is supreme.  This is why William crossed the Boyne.  Nothing to do with NI politics though the wee Dunfermline fanny has gone strangely quiet.

Archived