Incident at London Bridge

Think it's safe to say that Andre Walker on the previous page is currently being deluged with "OK mate, what's your address?" PMs that he's far too busy to respond to.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If it transpires that these guys were on the watch list then it will be a disgrace really. How many times are you going to "watch" people until they murder innocent civilians?

How many people are on the watch list though? It's not possible to watch every single suspect 24 hours a day and it's not possible to arrest people who are only suspected before they do anything. Rushing to blame the security services isn't reasonable before we know the facts, and it's not like they were making bombs in this case. Can the security services be expected to swoop in and arrest someone every time they get in a van on the grounds that they might be planning to use it for mass murder?

39 minutes ago, Stauner said:

I think you'll find it'll be policy to execute these c***s at the scene , we don't want show trials or them going to prison, just to inspire and recruit more.

They want to be martyred. Obviously in this case they were apparently wearing fake bomb vests so shooting them dead to ensure they couldn't detonate was the right thing to do, but where it's possible to arrest them it's clearly better to do that and deny them their martyrdom.

That's aside from the obvious point that we want the police to be acting as a police force and only shooting to kill when it's absolutely necessary, rather than being a mobile execution squad.

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Think it's safe to say that Andre Walker on the previous page is currently being deluged with "OK mate, what's your address?" PMs that he's far too busy to respond to.

Alternatively, he might be repeatedly falling down the stairs at a polis station after being caught waving a sword about on the Embankment.

Just now, Hillonearth said:

Alternatively, he might be repeatedly falling down the stairs at a polis station after being caught waving a sword about on the Embankment.

That's his excuse for not replying. PC(s) gone mad, innit.

Social media is doing my nut in today.

Seen somebody post 'pray for london' about 20 minutes ago, then the same person put the same up again but this time it had a loveheart added, a brilliant photo of London added and a few hashtags. Last post deleted, presumably because it had no likes.

Arseholes.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

I think Jesus did exist. The whole "Son of God" part is a bit more questionable, but that's for another thread....

I'd say Jesus did exist but suffered from schizophrenia or some other mental illness with symptoms of delusions and voices in the head. To think to this day there are still people going to church in the name of a guy who would today be locked up in a mental hospital.

Then there is Muhammed who married Aisha when she was 6 years old and consummated the marriage when she was 9, so you've got these nutters going about killing people in the name of a dirty paedophile.

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

So why didn't they shout "This is for God?" 

Anyway, even Kinky nor the smelly bone fellow above are having as big a heads gone as this fellow:

Andre's not really thought this through. What happens when someone turns up at his door with a shooter? And how can you claim your £50k off him when he's dead?

Social media is doing my nut in today.

Seen somebody post 'pray for london' about 20 minutes ago, then the same person put the same up again but this time it had a loveheart added, a brilliant photo of London added and a few hashtags. Last post deleted, presumably because it had no likes.

Arseholes.

Where's that comedian's sketch about 'thoughts and prayers' when you need it?

'Don't forget about me folks, I'm sads too.'

6 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

So both the conservative campaign and national strategy is pretty much Season 5 of House of Cards*

*I'm only on episode 4 so I'll have to let you know how this pans out.

I noticed the parallels as well.

Andre's not really thought this through. What happens when someone turns up at his door with a shooter? And how can you claim your £50k off him when he's dead?

He's "changing his will on Monday" apparently. Presumably to ensure that the person who takes his life receives £50k of his assets. I'd love to hear that conversation with his solicitor.

3 minutes ago, resk said:

He's "changing his will on Monday" apparently. Presumably to ensure that the person who takes his life receives £50k of his assets. I'd love to hear that conversation with his solicitor.

Imagine having people who actually fence take the piss out of you:

Replying to @mrjamesob

This offends me deeply. The sword is one handed. He can be struck from either side. footwork is wrong. He'd be safer attacking with a fish.

36 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

How many people are on the watch list though? It's not possible to watch every single suspect 24 hours a day and it's not possible to arrest people who are only suspected before they do anything. Rushing to blame the security services isn't reasonable before we know the facts, and it's not like they were making bombs in this case. Can the security services be expected to swoop in and arrest someone every time they get in a van on the grounds that they might be planning to use it for mass murder?

This. The capacity to actively surveil that amount of people to the degree you'd wish simply doesn't exist, in large part due to cuts made on the watch of the current government..Who exactly's going to do it?

Police? Cut and underfunded left right and centre, with no guarantees there won't be more of the same on the way if they get in again.

Army? The same army that you could fit inside Wembley and have seats to spare, thanks to the decision to cut regular numbers to the bone and rely on the TA to bulk it up?

Ministry of Defence? The one that the current government have pledged to reduce headcount in by 30% before 2020?

Simple fact is if they were serious about countering terrorism, we'd see at least one - if not all - of the ideologically-driven decisions above reversed. They won't be though...stuff like last night will continue be seen as an acceptable limit of collateral damage. Manchester and now London and maybe some more to come, then it'll die down and people will go back to the new normal.

Until next time.

This. The capacity to actively surveil that amount of people to the degree you'd wish simply doesn't exist, in large part due to cuts made on the watch of the current government..Who exactly's going to do it?
Police? Cut and underfunded left right and centre, with no guarantees there won't be more of the same on the way if they get in again.
Army? The same army that you could fit inside Wembley and have seats to spare, thanks to the decision to cut regular numbers to the bone and rely on the TA to bulk it up?
Ministry of Defence? The one that the current government have pledged to reduce headcount in by 30% before 2020?
Simple fact is if they were serious about countering terrorism, we'd see at least one - if not all - of the ideologically-driven decisions above reversed. They won't be though...stuff like last night will continue be seen as an acceptable limit of collateral damage. Manchester and now London and maybe some more to come, then it'll die down and people will go back to the new normal.
Until next time.

I heard the figure earlier that apparently it takes 30 people to watch 1 person 24/7. I thought it sounded high so halved it - in reality we only need an extra 345,000 security personnel.

Normally I'd feel pretty sorry for someone that has clearly decimated their brain cells through drinking toilet duck, oven cleaner, gin and amaretto cocktails, but Kincardine seems like a genuinely horrible person, so no sympathy here.

Plenty of sympathy for those affected by last night's attacks though. We can discuss foreign policy, Islam, watch lists and preventative measures until we're blue in the face, but sadly if a lunatic decides - for whatever reason - to jump in a van and start knifing random people on the street, there really isn't anything you can do to preempt or prevent it. Internment certainly isn't the answer and only causes further radicalisation, so it's impossible to monitor suspects at all times. Important to remember that our judicial system is based on the principle of innocence until guilt is proven, don't think deviation from this would benefit society in the long run, regardless of the scenario.

There have always been murdering psychos latching on to an ideology that they think excuses their blood lust, this is nothing new, and the availability of 24 hour media and social networking are really the only difference. Horrible though it is, incidents of this nature in the past didn't end the world then, and it won't now. We just move forward and try and find a solution, difficult though that will be.

Archived