2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The green pound has been comprehensively flexed.  Seems a bit like giving Olly Reed your credit card in a bar, but who knows

Sounds like a cracking night out - until he puts his cock in your pint glass.................

The Gordon family has seriously backed Johnson. They've made (on paper) some very solid signings and have got to be considered serious contenders for finishing third this season. I'm surmising here but Hibs would appear to have spent more on their side this summer than both Aberdeen and Hearts. Certainly on transfer fees. Fair play to them.

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The Gordon family has seriously backed Johnson. They've made (on paper) some very solid signings and have got to be considered serious contenders for finishing third this season. I'm surmising here but Hibs would appear to have spent more on their side this summer than both Aberdeen and Hearts. Certainly on transfer fees. Fair play to them.

If finishing 3rd was all about the forward line - maybe.

However I think we are still pretty thin in defence (algthough Fish returning is a real plus) where we are still heavily reliant on Stevenson and Hanlon.......and the least said about Marshall the better.

I also have some reservations in midfield, where we have good players, but not necessarily ones who can play well together.

In summary, I suspect we will win some matches well, and lose matches to some of the better teams.

tldr - No sure I feel we are serious contenders yet.

9 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

If finishing 3rd was all about the forward line - maybe.

However I think we are still pretty thin in defence (algthough Fish returning is a real plus) where we are still heavily reliant on Stevenson and Hanlon.......and the least said about Marshall the better.

I also have some reservations in midfield, where we have good players, but not necessarily ones who can play well together.

In summary, I suspect we will win some matches well, and lose matches to some of the better teams.

tldr - No sure I feel we are serious contenders yet.

I think the defence is largely fine tbh. Not too confident at FB, will have to see about Obita and Miller, but could see McIntyre or Megwa getting brought through which is preferable to me than using up our wage budget on additional full backs.

Wqhile they have their moments all of Hanlon, Fish and Rocky showed themselves to be solid enough for large stretches last year. And the addition of harbottle gives us more cover than previously as well. Confident Wollacot will be an upgrade on Marshall from the limited I've seen of him in the past 

For me it's the midfield and support for the wingers I'm worried about. I don't rate Jeggo and we don't have another DM, and if Boyle or Youan were out injured we're looking at melkerson or MacKay who I just don't think have it in them. If there's any budget left that's where I'd be looking to spend it.

Think we'll have to wait till towards the end of the window and see if we can offload a few of Henderson, McKirdy, Dodge and Tavares before we see anyone else coming in now. 

On a side not it is the most Hibs thing in the world that we are giving a squad with this level of investment to Lee fucking Johnson 

31 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

is the most Hibs thing in the world that we are giving a squad with this level of investment to Lee fucking Johnson 

If LJ fucks it, we can then give these new quality players to a manager of undoubted pedigree, one who would be coveted throughout the footballing world.................

Spoiler

image.png.f990a4c578eea36bd4aa07429b10300c.png

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

If LJ fucks it, we can then give these new quality players to a manager of undoubted pedigree, one who would be coveted throughout the footballing world.................

Hide contents

image.png.f990a4c578eea36bd4aa07429b10300c.png

Actually the last manager who springs to mind when I think of "very heavily backed in a single window"....

ETA actually not as much as I thought, had it in my mind Bamba and Riordan came in that summer too but it was the January before I think 

Edited by GHF-23

14 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Actually the last manager who springs to mind when I think of "very heavily backed in a single window"....

ETA actually not as much as I thought, had it in my mind Bamba and Riordan came in that summer too but it was the January before I think 

Yogi lost Stokes on the last day of the transfer window and we have to get Alan Gow on loan.  He was anything but backed.  

Bamba and Deeks were Mixu.  Same with Nish.

15 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Yogi lost Stokes on the last day of the transfer window and we have to get Alan Gow on loan.  He was anything but backed.  

Bamba and Deeks were Mixu.  Same with Nish.

Alan Gow was signed the same season that Stokes played and, given their history, was almost certainly a Yogi signing. While we sold Fletcher for a fee we could never turn down, that summer he was allowed to add quality to a team which already had the likes of Bamba, Hanlon, Stevenson, Rankin, Zemmama, Benji, Nish and Riordan. He spent a part of his energy in terms of signings that year creating a "goalkeeping academy" or whatever the hell he called it. He can't really blame anyone else for that second half of the season collapse either. My sympathy for him is incredibly limited

Edited by GHF-23

5 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Alan Gow was signed the same season that Stokes played and, given their history, was almost certainly a Yogi signing. While we sold Fletcher for a fee we could never turn down, that summer he was allowed to add quality to a team which already had the likes of Bamba, Hanlon, Stevenson, Rankin, Zemmama, Benji, Nish and Riordan. He spent a part of his energy in terms of signings that year creating a "goalkeeping academy" or whatever the hell he called it. He can't really blame anyone else for that second half of the season collapse either. My sympathy for him is incredibly limited

Sorry was Daryl Duffy that we got on loan to replace Stokes.  

He wasn't backed at all Yogi.  The players you mention he brought none of them to the club.     We sold Zemmama Bamba and Stokes in the same window, our two best players and replaced with jobbers.  The sacked Yogi and brought in Coco the clown and his bag of sweets act. 

4 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Sorry was Daryl Duffy that we got on loan to replace Stokes.  

He wasn't backed at all Yogi.  The players you mention he brought none of them to the club.     We sold Zemmama Bamba and Stokes in the same window, our two best players and replaced with jobbers.  The sacked Yogi and brought in Coco the clown and his bag of sweets act. 

No but Stokes and Miller, and others who were important players, were. They were added to an already relatively strong squad, thereby giving Yogi a significantly stronger squad than the previous year or, tbh looking back, any other team outside the OF that year.

Fully agree that in that second season he wasn't backed but given the mess he'd made of the previous season I wouldn't have either. I understand your points but I find the number of Hibs fans who feel that he and Lennon were hard done by when both of them delivered nothing but half a season of good football with excellent squads is baffling to me.