And the winner for most unintentionally hilarious sports headline 2023 goes to...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/major-injury-blow-for-hibs-europa-opponents-as-aston-villa-superstar-to-miss-both-legs-4262315

"Major injury blow for Hibs’ Europa opponents as Aston Villa superstar to miss both legs"

6 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

And the winner for most unintentionally hilarious sports headline 2023 goes to...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/major-injury-blow-for-hibs-europa-opponents-as-aston-villa-superstar-to-miss-both-legs-4262315

"Major injury blow for Hibs’ Europa opponents as Aston Villa superstar to miss both legs"

Hilarious. 

As if Villa would need to play any of their regular first XI against Hibs.

🤣

2 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

I mean not necessarily, our strengths are in the wide areas and up front, and we've seen a succession of managers try to play intricate or possession based football and it's been eye bleeding. More direct play can be far more exciting if done properly. The most exciting Hibs teams I can remember were fairly direct all things considered.

That's what I was thinking, two similar combos there. Kind of solves the midfield problem a bit - you go Newall plus a baller (Levitt), holder (Jeggo) or runner (Campbell) depending on the game and then have JDH as the lesser version of Newall if needed.

Youan, Obita, Boyle wide with hopefully a new more technical/playmakery type as a different option, although they might think they can get a few good games out of Henderson, Molitnikov and McCallister there - I wouldn't have a problem with the latter two at least getting a chance here and there in one of those roles until January.

Tbh I think at that point we're a left back (I know others will say CH but just don't see them bringing in another) away from a very decent squad. 

What teams are they and how do they resemble a Lee Johnson team?   Every exciting Hibernian teams Ive seem have had at least two dynamic footballers in the middle of the park and footballers in there.  From John Oneil and Latapy to John McGinn and Dylan McGeough. 

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

What teams are they and how do they resemble a Lee Johnson team?   Every exciting Hibernian teams Ive seem have had at least two dynamic footballers in the middle of the park and footballers in there.  From John Oneil and Latapy to John McGinn and Dylan McGeough. 

I'm just pointing out that if you have good forwards and two of the best wingers in the league then getting the ball forward to them quickly does not equal "hoofball", less exciting or less easy on the eye.

As for the point there your "two dynamic footballers in the middle of the park and footballers in there", which I'm struggling to parse out tbh, could easily be Joe Newall and Dylan Levitt. I don't deny our quality of player beyond them is not very good but teams in this league are always going to be balanced in favour of some areas and lighter in quality in others. 

Tony Mowbray's team, Neil Lennon's six months of decent football, Yogi's good team and even Jack Ross when we finished third regularly played with two strikers and were not afraid to get the ball forward early. Of those, Lennon and Mowbray obviously had excellent first choice central midfielders; Mowbray had terrific strength in depth there (although Antonio Murray still managed to rack up a bunch of appearances); but Yogi ran with Kevin McBride, Paddy Cregg and John Rankin fighting it out alongside Liam Miller. Jack Ross got third, a cup semi and a cup final with a midfield of Newall, Gogic and an out of position, unfit Jackson Irvine.

It's a very Hibs fan thing to watch years of short pass possession football bore the arse off you and assume that someone saying get the ball to your excellent wingers and forwards more quickly automatically means hoofball.  

I get you just hate Lee Johnson, I find him pretty insufferable myself and would replace him if for some reason Ben Kensell phoned me up and asked me to decide for him. But we're at the moment talking about something purely hypothetical as we don't know what he plans to do, and commenting on whether or not it could make us an easier on the eye, more exciting and effective football team. 

Edited by GHF-23

2 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

No 442, makes me boo. 

Honestly, was just a thought that it could work and might suit us. Actually agree with @Hoose Ricethat we need another midfielder - especially if it's some sort of 433. I'd say a battler who can do a bit of everything rather than a DM. Seen O'Hara mentioned but he's really had one good full year in this league (and we probably couldn't afford him at the moment anyway). He's the type - big, rangy, wins it aggressively but smart when he has to cover, can spring a counter attack - though. Would also like a 10 who can cover the right wing and a LB who doesn't give the ball to an opposition striker clean through on goal and doesn't shit himself over halfway please. 

Edited by GHF-23

21 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

I know it’s a massive game, but for a 5:45 kick off on a Wednesday. Good achievement selling out so quickly. Tickets only went on general sale yesterday? 

Yeah; the Hibs ticket office were pulling an all-nighter, it seems.

26 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

I know it’s a massive game, but for a 5:45 kick off on a Wednesday. Good achievement selling out so quickly. Tickets only went on general sale yesterday? 

They went on general sale at 10am today though apparently some non season ticket holders managed to get theirs on Friday?

50 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Yeah; the Hibs ticket office were pulling an all-nighter, it seems.

It will be an "all weeker" as they will no doubt be dealing with away leg issues from 12 tomorrow................

48 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Have Hibs given Villa the full away end?

No, they were given 5% ( ~1000 tickets).

I rather suspect that Hibs asked Villa for more than the 5% minimum requirement (as we will take a good crowd down there), were told "no" and said "f**k yeez".

Its a shame, but thems the breaks.................... sadly none of this helps me secure one for Villa Park ( which will be a total lottery today at 12 ). 😬

Just now, Leith Green said:

No, they were given 5% ( ~1000 tickets).

I rather suspect that Hibs asked Villa for more than the 5% minimum requirement (as we will take a good crowd down there), were told "no" and said "f**k yeez".

Its a shame, but thems the breaks.................... sadly none of this helps me secure one for Villa Park ( which will be a total lottery today at 12 ). 😬

Home end?  I could actually have a spare.