42 minutes ago, Tommy Tappin said:

We weren't happy with a third place Euro qualifying Jack Ross, especially the players. No-one hates Hibs more than Hibs fans and players. 

Can you elaborate on this a little? Just curious really, hadn't heard anything about the players being against Jack Ross. 

2 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Can you elaborate on this a little? Just curious really, hadn't heard anything about the players being against Jack Ross. 

There were rumours on the forums around that time about certain senior players being unhappy with team selections, tactics and discipline imposed by Ross. This was the fateful night when Boyle didn't even try to score the pen and both McGinn and Hanlon got sent off. Omeonga was MotM for Livi that night and Ross gave his now Hibs Manager Groundhog day interview before being sacked straight after while still in the stadium. 

Note any similarities between these two interviews?

from 0:28

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12490411/jack-ross-hibs-fans-have-every-right-to-be-critical

Yeah without listening to the Ross one back today's interview did remind me of it.

That said I'm really not in the mood for sacking the guy. Poor form in football can sometimes be arrested, by sometimes for a variety of factors it just continues on and on, regardless of manager. 

I'm not sure Foley will think this as he prepares to inject money into the club but I'd really prefer if we just toughed it out with Montgomery. I point to Robinson as a manager who came in mid season and managed to piss off a near majority of St Mirren fans. However the board stuck with him and they're now reaping the rewards.

Might be that Montgomery is shite, but given we've employed a rookie manager we don't really know that until we give him a proper go, that means until next January minimum. 

I'd be very surprised if he gets that time, but it'd be nice to see the club have the courage of their convictions and not piss themselves whenever things go awry. 

2 minutes ago, Judy Murray said:

Imagine being this obsessed about your recent minters on hibs related threads. 

Calls someone obsessed whilst trying to link him to a poster on a Hearts forum, ironic.

8 hours ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Yeah without listening to the Ross one back today's interview did remind me of it.

That said I'm really not in the mood for sacking the guy. Poor form in football can sometimes be arrested, by sometimes for a variety of factors it just continues on and on, regardless of manager. 

I'm not sure Foley will think this as he prepares to inject money into the club but I'd really prefer if we just toughed it out with Montgomery. I point to Robinson as a manager who came in mid season and managed to piss off a near majority of St Mirren fans. However the board stuck with him and they're now reaping the rewards.

Might be that Montgomery is shite, but given we've employed a rookie manager we don't really know that until we give him a proper go, that means until next January minimum. 

I'd be very surprised if he gets that time, but it'd be nice to see the club have the courage of their convictions and not piss themselves whenever things go awry. 

Montgomery struck me as someone who might instill a bit of fight, unlike Johnson. Didn't seem like Hibs had much fight yesterday.

You're right that you need to give him time though, the constant revolving door is not doing you any favours.

Robinson presided over a bit of a collapse when he first arrived at St Mirren. We went from being on target for top 6, to real danger of finishing 11th. The knives never really came out for him other than a few plonkers online. 

I said on the Aberdeen new manager thread that too many clubs are chasing perfection, it's almost impossible for a manager of most teams in our league to have a poor season and not get binned. Sometimes clubs will have a poor season, is finishing 7th or 8th the end of the world for a Hibs or Aberdeen given the amount of changes they've made recently? Would it not be better to give someone a couple of seasons to try and build something and improve?

Edited by houston_bud

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Montgomery struck me as someone who might instill a bit of fight, unlike Johnson. Didn't seem like Hibs had much fight yesterday.

You're right that you need to give him time though, the constant revolving door is not doing you any favours.

Robinson presided over a bit of a collapse when he first arrived at St Mirren. We went from being on target for top 6, to real danger of finishing 11th. The knives never really came out for him other than a few plonkers online. 

I said on the Aberdeen new manager thread that too many clubs are chasing perfection, it's almost impossible for a manager of most teams in our league to have a poor season and not get binned. Sometimes clubs will have a poor season, is finishing 7th or 8th the end of the world for a Hibs or Aberdeen given the amount of changes they've made recently? Would it not be better to give someone a couple of seasons to try and build something and improve?

If the costs are seven figures then yes.

17 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

If the costs are seven figures then yes.

So, in essence, any season Aberdeen (or Hibs) don't finish top 3/4 then they should sack their manager? Or 2 managers? Doesn't seem like a great way to run a club.

And it's not like sacking the manager is a guarantee of a top 4 finish. It worked for Aberdeen last season. Doesn't look like it will work for Hibs this year.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

So, in essence, any season Aberdeen (or Hibs) don't finish top 3/4 then they should sack their manager? Or 2 managers? Doesn't seem like a great way to run a club.

And it's not like sacking the manager is a guarantee of a top 4 finish. It worked for Aberdeen last season. Doesn't look like it will work for Hibs this year.

Its not quite that simple. We (and Aberdeen) have much larger budgets than St Mirren / Killie (to pick two).

A larger budget doesnt always correlate to league finishes or trophies won but should be an indicator - over a given period - of where you might end up in May.

St Mirren and Killie are very much outperforming their budget, Hibs and Aberdeen are miles off it. I cant really speak for the sheep, but our "footballing department" seems to have been run very badly in the last few years - recruitment, both player and managers, have been mindblowingly bad.

When an obvious choice has been available, like McInnes, we went for a guy who was doing well in Australia, but had a rep for only playing a rigid 4 4 2. That is on the people who employed him.

Also, we have a dreadful defensive record - but yesterday our back 4 had a 16 year old and two 20 year olds in it - we clearly needed an old head solid CH type in the window, and again that failure is down to whoever is in charge.

I wont even start on the midfield 2 as that has been an issue for about 4 years.

Its a real mess.

I know we have a lot of cash to spend in the summer, I just hope its not this manager who is around to waste it..............but the blame doesnt just lie with him.

21 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

No, not necessarily. 

If the manager is stubborn and refusing to learn from mistakes though...