15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not expecting him to never work again or be strung up, just to not be widely accepted into a position of such influence.

What job should it be ok for him to have in football? Where's the cut-off?

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If someone's in a position where they're hiring/firing/judging employees, and/or in a position where young children can see them as a "hero" (not his role at Hibs tbf), then I think you need to give more than a "I'm sorry I got caught and you got offended, but everyone's a wee bit racist aren't they?" and then expect to just continue on unabated.

He was a 40yo man who had year long messages showing racism, sexism, antisemitism and homophobia, all combined with him talking about not hiring/working with certain types of people. To me that should rule him out of high level hiring/firing jobs.

I think that's fairly normal thinking and fair? I'm not expecting him to never work again or be strung up, just to not be widely accepted into a position of such influence.

It’s not an unfair view and you have the right as a fan to not want that for your club and if you were the person in charge of hiring a technical director you’d also be perfectly entitled to take that stance. 

However, malky McKay being employed by hibs isn’t my issue. In a hypothetical world where hibs fans accepted that his apology was enough and the board felt the same then it’s really nothing to do with me. How malky McKay rebuilds his life and career after what happened is just not my concern, and I’m not going to make any assumptions about how he conducts himself now.

Unless you are suggesting there should be a mechanism from the authorities to actively deny him certain roles within football based on his history, but that’s an extremely murky road to go down. 

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unless you are suggesting there should be a mechanism from the authorities to actively deny him certain roles within football based on his history, but that’s an extremely murky road to go down. 

Tbf there are many professions where this is the case so it's not unheard of.

Whether football should go down that road is, as you rightly say, a tough question.

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Tbf there are many professions where this is the case so it's not unheard of.

Whether football should go down that road is, as you rightly say, a tough question.

That's generally related to safeguarding or security risk.

No real evidence of an issue in either regard here.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

I would suggest this is definitely not the case (are all Dundee Utd fans on here trolls? The ones I know IRL are all lovely folk).

Who is trolling? 

If Hibs win a trophy this season all Hibs fans will see is 11 players on the park wearing Green and white holding a trophy above their heads. There will be zero negativity mentioned regarding Malky 

Edited by Glen Scotia
Edit

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

However, malky McKay being employed by hibs isn’t my issue. In a hypothetical world where hibs fans accepted that his apology was enough and the board felt the same then it’s really nothing to do with me. How malky McKay rebuilds his life and career after what happened is just not my concern, and I’m not going to make any assumptions about how he conducts himself now.

I've already stated I didn't want him appointed and he would not have been my choice for that role. However the role itself is not a public profile role like Head Coach. It's much more Boardroom and office based. He won't pick the team or set out the tactics (somebody should have told Monty about those). 

The other thing that has me shaking my head is that much of the criticism  is coming from people who are far from clean themselves. i.e. Block 7 and the various middle aged, cliched Twitter rebels with a timeline full of awful abuse towards those who don't share their mindset. 

1 hour ago, Glen Scotia said:

If a board of directors thought hiring Hitler as sporting director and Bin Laden as manager would get them 3pts on a Saturday and a league title at the end of the season then they would hire them.

And every fan of that club would celebrate (all clubs/fans) 

That's nothing but projection. Stop assuming everyone is the same as you, because they're definitely not. 

1 minute ago, AndyM said:

I've already stated I didn't want him appointed and he would not have been my choice for that role. However the role itself is not a public profile role like Head Coach. It's much more Boardroom and office based. He won't pick the team or set out the tactics (somebody should have told Monty about those). 

The other thing that has me shaking my head is that much of the criticism  is coming from people who are far from clean themselves. i.e. Block 7 and the various middle aged, cliched Twitter rebels with a timeline full of awful abuse towards those who don't share their mindset. 

I think some people just don't get the thought process that you can think someone has done a very bad thing while not necessarily seeing that as a cause for ending their career.

I wouldn't be happy if Hearts hired Malky. But I wouldn't be handing in my season ticket or boycotting games.

I would hand back my ST, stop going to games, and write the club and the newspapers a letter explaining why if we became a junior partner in a multi-club system. Racism is obviously worse than multi-club ownership, but for me, one is a fundamental thing about what the club is, while the other is a private matter relating to an employee of the club.

Hibs are fucking pish, and will hopefully continue to be fucking pish. But their fans shouldn't have to feel any discomfort about going to watch their team play because of a private matter relating to one guy who works for them.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's nothing but projection. Stop assuming everyone is the same as you, because they're definitely not. 

I've given my thought on it and you have given yours. The proof I guess will be in the number of Hibs fans who go to games next season. I bet there is zero difference from this season 

Edited by Glen Scotia
Edit

1 minute ago, Glen Scotia said:

I've given my thought on it and you have given yours. The proof I guess will be in the number of Hibs fans who go to games this season. I bet there is zero difference from this season 

No, that's not it. What you've done is told people who have given their opinion that they don't really hold that opinion and that they're pretending. That's what I'm objecting to.

I suspect there will be few actual boycotters too, but that doesn't mean people aren't angry about it and don't want their club to employ someone who would express these views:

GNjaqxoXIAA1vLH.jpeg

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

No, that's not it. What you've done is told people who have given their opinion that they don't really hold that opinion and that they're pretending. That's what I'm objecting to.

I suspect there will be few actual boycotters too, but that doesn't mean people aren't angry about it and don't want their club to employ someone who would express these views:

GNjaqxoXIAA1vLH.jpeg

I've never said people aren't angry, I haven't even said I wouldn't be angry if United appointed Malky. 

My point was, I fully believe that those Hibs fans who are angry with his appointment that anger will quickly dilute/be forgotten about if Hibs beat Hearts every game this season, finish above Hearts or win a cup (you get the picture) 

29 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Who is trolling? 

If Hibs win a trophy this season all Hibs fans will see is 11 players on the park wearing Green and white holding a trophy above their heads. There will be zero negativity mentioned regarding Malky 

Except you said:

If a board of directors thought hiring Hitler as sporting director and Bin Laden as manager would get them 3pts on a Saturday and a league title at the end of the season then they would hire them.

And every fan of that club would celebrate (all clubs/fans) 

which is not the same thing at all (and just to clarify, there would be some Hibs fans who were still negative towards Mackay, far less Hitler and Bin Laden).

4 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

My point was, I fully believe that those Hibs fans who are angry with his appointment that anger will quickly dilute/be forgotten about if Hibs beat Hearts every game this season, finish above Hearts or win a cup (you get the picture) 

It's be handy in this if you decide what you''re actually claiming - is it Hitler and Bin Laden, is it a League title, or is it a cup, or just Malkkky and a few wins over Hearts? Is it that the person in question will be forgotten about, or that fans ire will be diluted?

Or something else entirely in order to make your point sound a little less obviously wrong? 

1 minute ago, lennyzer0 said:

It's be handy in this if you decide what you''re actually claiming - is it Hitler and Bin Laden, is it a League title, or is it a cup, or just Malkkky and a few wins over Hearts? Is it that the person in question will be forgotten about, or that fans ire will be diluted?

Or something else entirely in order to make your point sound a little less obviously wrong? 

All of the above in your first paragraph! 

No matter who is at your club in whatever role. If your club wins a game, a derby, a trophy, a league or whatever, fans will celebrate.

Angry or not to who is at their club, they will take the above mentioned success over any appointment 

1 minute ago, Glen Scotia said:

No matter who is at your club in whatever role. If your club wins a game, a derby, a trophy, a league or whatever, fans will celebrate.

Angry or not to who is at their club, they will take the above mentioned success over any appointment 

It would be a more accurate statement to say that every club has an element of its fan base that will prioritise success on the pitch over just about anything else. 

The sweeping statements about ‘fans’ is always frustrating to hear from (presumably) other fans as it’s used by media and sometimes clubs to dismiss ‘fans’ as one populace acting in a daft and irrational way.

E.g. don’t consult ‘fans’ on implementation of VAR, because ‘fans’ don’t know what they’re talking about! 

"Trolling is when someone posts or comments online to ‘bait’ people, which means deliberately provoking an argument or emotional reaction. In some cases they say things they don’t even believe, just to cause drama."

definitely not what im doing, I'm voicing my opinion. I get it some folk dont like it but ermmm f**k them

13 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

I've never said people aren't angry, I haven't even said I wouldn't be angry if United appointed Malky. 

That's not what you said. You said, in so many words, that every club would hire literally the worst people in the world and all fans would celebrate if it meant they'd win a league title.

5 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Ah well, in that case, I'll just ignore you, as that's patently absolute slavering nonsense.

I am a football fan and if Bin Laden (to use your daft example) took Hearts to the League title, I would long since have given up my season ticket. And I am confident to the point of certainty that I would not be the only one.

Just now, GordonS said:

That's not what you said. You said, in so many words, that every club would hire literally the worst people in the world and all fans would celebrate if it meant they'd win a league title.

It's ok - give him a minute and he'll say something different.