1 minute ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

No way are they paying him 1.5 when they won't even bid the club's valuation. Maybe 1m which comes with plenty baggage for Boyle as said.

I mean this is not really the club's choice, in many ways, if the player wanted to go you know how that goes...

This is a choice for Boyle, and a very serious choice.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I never even thought about his wife, but it's a good point, do you think she want to go to a place where she is automatically a second class citizen? Not sure if they have kids, but can you imagine brining up kids in a repressive regime?

He'll have to live in a compound like all westerners there. Searing heat and a compound without the Mrs or anybody else he knows. I'd still take the b*****ds money if I was him mind. 

Just now, Snifter Pee Rot said:

I'd still take the b*****ds money if I was him mind. 

Then, quite simply, you are a c**t.

Anyone choosing that option is a c**t, it really is that simple. If you can happily hide yourself away from all the inequity and religious hatred, while happily counting your money you are a c**t.

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's my very point, you are being bribed to support a political and religious system that hails from the 14th century and has changed very little since then.

If you value money over principle, then you are a c**t. It really is as simple as that.

By actively choosing to play in the country, you are actively supporting inequality at every single level of society except for one, the very top.

I live and work in the UK. Does that mean that i support our exploitative and unequal political system?

Saudi is beginning a process of opening up, girls being co-educated and corrupt royals being punished, The salafists are getting pissed off about the decline of their influence. 

Surely we should be helping them open up? Football can connect the masses with the outside world. 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I live and work in the UK. Does that mean that i support our exploitative and unequal political system?

Do you do anything to highlight "that exploitative and unequal political system", if not, then the simple answer is either yes or you are happily complicit. I would have thought that was obvious.

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Saudi is beginning a process of opening up, girls being co-educated and corrupt royals being punished, The salafists are getting pissed off about the decline of their influence. 

Surely we should be helping them open up? Football can connect the masses with the outside world. 

Stop enabling hatred by soft soaping what little movement there has been. Here's a thought, how about they act like a responsible nation before we reward them with our patronage.

They shouldn't be "bribed" into change by us, it should be a choice, their choice, and their choices so far have shown scant regard for human rights.

Edited by Ric

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

You have to see my point.

Avarice is not a good trait, especially when it's tied explicitly to others' suffering.

Ric got out the wrong side of bed this morning.

FWIW I have deep loathing of the middle east for how they treat women, their own citizens and human rights abuses. So we are on the same page. 

But you keep asking the Q and the answer will remain the same.  A 2 year contract on £1-£1.5m sets you up for life for 2 years.  

A bigger dilemma would be if Scotland qualified for the world cup.  I was offered tickets and 5 star hotel would I go....mmm...not sure I would 😧

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Boyle of Arabia could tip the balance regards the emergence of a semi civilised society there. I'm beginning to see more pluses. 

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

Then, quite simply, you are a c**t.

Anyone choosing that option is a c**t, it really is that simple. If you can happily hide yourself away from all the inequity and religious hatred, while happily counting your money you are a c**t.

I agree with you on the Saudi stuff. Theyve spent the last few years trying to sportswash their shite with the F1, buying Newcastle, big WWE shows, etc. Spunking money on international footballers is just another part of that.

However...

£30k a week over a 2 or 3 year contract is never work again money. This is probably Boyle's only ever chance to make that kind of money for his family. 

I'm not sure I'd accept going over, but it would certainly be enough to tempt me even if it goes against my beliefs. 

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

But you keep asking the Q and the answer will remain the same.  A 2 year contract on £1-£1.5m sets you up for life for 2 years. 

I'm not repeating the question, the facts are very clear, they have a choice, riches on one side or being able to sleep knowing you didn't perpetrate the suffering of others.

Maybe I'm just less bothered about the material things in life, but that is the easiest choice I'd ever make.

4 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

£30k a week over a 2 or 3 year contract is never work again money. This is probably Boyle's only ever chance to make that kind of money for his family. 

I'm not sure I'd accept going over, but it would certainly be enough to tempt me even if it goes against my beliefs. 

This is the core of the issue isn't it? Do we think Boyle is skint? Do we think he is desperate for the money? He is likely earning far more in a couple of years playing football than some people on this board will earn in a decade. That's before any "war chest" he is bribed with - and let us be very clear, it is a bribe. That is why the wages are so high, you are being bribed for your silence and complicity.

There is no excuse, in my opinion, if you choose the money you are explicitly supporting a regime which perpetrated hate crimes on a daily basis.

Edited by Ric

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Do you do anything to highlight "that exploitative and unequal political system", if not, then the simple answer is either yes or you are happily complicit. I would have thought that was obvious.

Stop enabling hatred by soft soaping what little movement there has been. Here's a thought, how about they act like a responsible nation before we reward them with our patronage.

They shouldn't be "bribed" into change by us, it should be a choice, their choice, and their choices so far have shown scant regard for human rights.

Will you be boycotting coverage of next summers world cup and shunning all the players and sponsors, Ric? 

Just now, ICTChris said:

It's pretty easy to say "I would definitely turn down £1m" if it's hypothetical and not sitting there on the table in front of you.

For a start, that's not what happens, there is no £1m sitting on a table. It's a totally false premise. So let's sidestep that crazy notion.

It is "earned" by spending day after day under a religious zealot, and by the end of it you can wash your sins off with that money.

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Will you be boycotting coverage of next summers world cup and shunning all the players and sponsors, Ric? 

I would have thought that was obvious, I've written several posts to that effect. I believe Scotland shouldn't be going, although we may solve that problem before qualification.

Edited by Ric

Got to say, it's somewhat disappointing that I am somehow 'out of step' here. It genuinely stuns me that people are so open to accept this sort of shit.  I have visited Muslim countries before, this isn't specifically about the religion it's about it's implementation of it, it's interpretation of it. The Saudi ruling classes chose hate, and we should not as fair minded individuals be party it.

With that, you know my position and I've said my piece, anyone wishing to goad me on this will fall on deaf ears.

Just now, Ric said:

I would have thought that was obvious, I've written several posts to that effect. I believe Scotland shouldn't be going, although we may solve that problem before qualification.

Apologies for not having followed all your previous posts. 

Don't want to derail the hibees thread any more. Over £2m for Boyle at 29 seems like pretty good business. I can understand hibees wanting more but i'd be surprised if anyone would bid £3m for someone whose main attribute is pace, at his age. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I find the idea that if Boyle goes that he’s automatically a c**t as nonsense. 

Classic easy to post on the internet type stuff. 

Those who have met me know I am as principled in real life as I am on this board.

Stop belittling very clearly held opinions because of the medium they are being presented in.