2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Curious as to what you mean by mental gymnastics.

In what sense have I been inconsistent?

You are making things up based on pure fiction, or your understanding of things (which doesn't appear very educated) through your maroon tinted glasses.

You are going to be one of the top posters if you keep this up, if you are slightly nervous about your rivals getting additional investment whilst you are stuck scrounging off your fans just say so.

Edited by GreenGray

Just now, GreenGray said:

You are making things up based on pure fiction, or you're understanding of things (which doesn't appear very educated) through your maroon tinted glasses.

You are going to be one of the top posters if you keep this up, if you are slightly nervous about your rivals getting additional investment whilst you are stuck scrounging off your fans just say so.

That's not mental gymnastics, but ok.

And I'd dispute your point. I think what I've pointed out is a logical conclusion of this type of deal.

As for your point about the Hibs board requiring my expertise, I think you misunderstand their motivations. I'd imagine the Gordons will have the call on this. Their motivation is not the same as yours as a fan. They want a return on their father's investment. Hibs' long-term future is less relevant to them.

As a fan, you should be asking more questions and doing less cheerleading.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

That's not mental gymnastics, but ok.

And I'd dispute your point. I think what I've pointed out is a logical conclusion of this type of deal.

As for your point about the Hibs board requiring my expertise, I think you misunderstand their motivations. I'd imagine the Gordons will have the call on this. Their motivation is not the same as yours as a fan. They want a return on their father's investment. Hibs' long-term future is less relevant to them.

As a fan, you should be asking more questions and doing less cheerleading.

Making up fictional situations about Bournemouth getting a CB for free from Lorient before selling to PSG for £20m, please point me the way of an example of this ever happening. 

You know the Gordon's motivations now? They want to see through their fathers ambitions, if that involves getting a minority stake from a billionaire who will invest in recruitment so be it.

Foley initially expressed interest in a Scottish team not to prop up Bournemouth but to challenge the Old Firm and regularly qualify for Europe, doesn't sound bad to me. If somewhere along the way we have to sell a player to Bournemouth (who if he is good enough to play in the Premier League we would be losing anyway) I am sure we fans will be more than happy if the other other promises are fulfilled. 

3 minutes ago, GreenGray said:

Making up fictional situations about Bournemouth getting a CB for free from Lorient before selling to PSG for £20m, please point me the way of an example of this ever happening. 

You know the Gordon's motivations now? They want to see through their fathers ambitions, if that involves getting a minority stake from a billionaire who will invest in recruitment so be it.

Foley initially expressed interest in a Scottish team not to prop up Bournemouth but to challenge the Old Firm and regularly qualify for Europe, doesn't sound bad to me. If somewhere along the way we have to sell a player to Bournemouth (who if he is good enough to play in the Premier League we would be losing anyway) I am sure we fans will be more than happy if the other other promises are fulfilled. 

Right you are.

Seems much more likely than Bournemouth's FFP.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's not making stuff up. It's based on observations of how these things work. The idea it comes with no strings is pure denial.

There is no sense in Bournemouth doing this unless they can have control over aspects of Hibs that Hibs fans will be uncomfortable with. If you reckon this comes with no strings in terms of finance, transfer policy/loans, or influence over aspects of Hibs' squad, then I've got some magic beans you might be interested in.

You’re making the classic pie and bovril mistake in claiming it has to be all or nothing. Either Bournemouth need to have full control and will decimate Hibs as a club or “do you want some magic beans?”. It is possible that Hibs may only agree to a deal if it’s structured in a way that protects them, for example.

As for Kilmarnock no I probably wouldn’t fancy it but again it’s not the opinion that’s the issue it’s how much you are claiming to know.

So on you go then tell us exactly what has been agreed between Hibs and Bournemouth so far or will be the outline of this deal. What are the specifics, who pays for what, how will the loan system work, what has been agreed if a player is thriving for Hibs or comes through their youth system. I’d love to see the details on the deal Hibs are doing which will in turn let me give you a better opinion on whether I would fancy it for Kilmarnock.

18 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

You’re making the classic pie and bovril mistake in claiming it has to be all or nothing. Either Bournemouth need to have full control and will decimate Hibs as a club or “do you want some magic beans?”. It is possible that Hibs may only agree to a deal if it’s structured in a way that protects them, for example.

As for Kilmarnock no I probably wouldn’t fancy it but again it’s not the opinion that’s the issue it’s how much you are claiming to know.

So on you go then tell us exactly what has been agreed between Hibs and Bournemouth so far or will be the outline of this deal. What are the specifics, who pays for what, how will the loan system work, what has been agreed if a player is thriving for Hibs or comes through their youth system. I’d love to see the details on the deal Hibs are doing which will in turn let me give you a better opinion on whether I would fancy it for Kilmarnock.

I'm not. I'm countering with completely plausible scenarios. I've never said ther's no benefit.

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I suppose another way to view this is that nothing Hibs, as a club completely independent of others, is currently able to come anywhere close to closing the gap on the top two or become clear in 3rd place.

Either they and all other clubs just crack on as is and the status quo remains, or they do something different.

Providing the new owner doesn't asset strip (of which there is no sign of) or make hibs purely a loanee club for Bournmouth (why bother taking a stake) then I don't see much in the way of downsides.

Big proof will be a) how much he puts towards the playing budget and b) what off field benefits it brings in terms of facilities and future revenue growth.

For me, you can always tell how serious an owner/shareholder is about a club by what they do for the long term gain off the club. For example, Romanov at Hearts left no physical legacy in terms of stands or stadium in the way that Budge has. Its the Glazer at Man Utd scenario, put nothing in place for the long term and after a while, it becomes very noticeable. When you start to see tangible changes to Easter Road and the training facilities, you'll know how into it Foley will be. 

13 minutes ago, Judy Murray said:

I started a drinking game where you drink if VincentGuerin says “identity” or “diminished” in this thread but I slipped into an alcohol induced coma 6 pages ago that I’m just coming round from. 

6 pages back?  Christ you’ve been asleep for about 4 hours.

You have the red bulls, the city group, tony blooms mob and now Foleys group.  Is there any examples in these groups at all of one club telling or ordering other clubs in the group to play certain players or sell them players for peanuts?   I can't think of one example at all tbh.  

Fresh investment into the Scottish game should be welcomed instead of trying to make excuses of why it might be a bad thing.   Remember all the guntos that said Ron the con was only in it for himself also?    Just because their club almost went tits up cheating for years under a crook doesn't mean every new investor is the same. 

Foley announces the nature of his investment in HIbs:

https://talksport.com/football/1677087/tottenham-west-ham-bournemouth-transfers-bill-foley/

Foley gave the latest on his quest to buy a minority stake in Scottish side Hibs.

Foley said: “We're going through the process with the Scottish Premier League and the Scottish Football Association to ensure that we're doing things properly and that we're doing them in a way that they're happy with our participation. 

“We're not going to be a controlling shareholder, we're going to be an investor but we certainly want to coordinate acquisition and disposition of players with Hibs and I know they can use the help.”

Edited by Tommy Tappin

If you want an expert analysis on Foley’s intentions, I would steer you to Hibs.net. That’s where the real experts post. 
You’ll remember only too well how spot on they were with the demise of Romanov’s tenure. Bulldozers, flats etc etc. you could even pay money to a poster called Sergei to get inside information on Hearts potentially ceasing to exist.

1 hour ago, Glen Sannox said:

If you want an expert analysis on Foley’s intentions, I would steer you to Hibs.net. That’s where the real experts post. 
You’ll remember only too well how spot on they were with the demise of Romanov’s tenure. Bulldozers, flats etc etc. you could even pay money to a poster called Sergei to get inside information on Hearts potentially ceasing to exist.

He had contacts at the very top of the Lithuanian government! 🤣

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/14/bournemouth-owner-bill-foley-europe-five-years-iraola-new-stadium

“That is my goal, to develop these other teams in support of Bournemouth and for Bournemouth to support those other teams,” he said.

Thoughts and prayers, lads. God speed.

Hibernian FC "in support of Bournemouth". 🤮

I'm willing to bet that Hibernian's support of Bournemouth won't look quite like Bournemouth's support of Hibernian.

Edited by VincentGuerin

21 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/14/bournemouth-owner-bill-foley-europe-five-years-iraola-new-stadium

“That is my goal, to develop these other teams in support of Bournemouth and for Bournemouth to support those other teams,” he said.

Thoughts and prayers, lads. God speed.

Hibernian FC "in support of Bournemouth". 🤮

I'm willing to bet that Hibernian's support of Bournemouth won't look quite like Bournemouth's support of Hibernian.

Lovely selective quote. He also said no team will be obligated to sell to or take players from another club in the group.