NBA

Cerberus

Absolutely delighted. It’s been said over and over by the pundits, but the Nuggets really are a team. They just get shit done. So many times, you can say that Championship winning teams have been quality but have also ridden their luck. Not the Nuggets. They grind, they get the results. Phenomenal. 

A bit like the 77 Blazers?

Watching it here on TV at the final buzzer the players went nuts and were jumping up and down hugging each other. Jokic quietly walked over to the Miami players and shook all their hands. He is such a class act.

22 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

Watching it here on TV at the final buzzer the players went nuts and were jumping up and down hugging each other. Jokic quietly walked over to the Miami players and shook all their hands. He is such a class act.

He really is. And Simmons was saying he’ll probably celebrate by flying back to Serbia and working on his farm. He’s another species. 

Ja Morant suspended for 25 games. Means Memphis could still just about squeak the playoffs but will cost him about $7m in salary and will mean he won’t play enough games next season to be eligible for all-NBA awards which also chips money off future contract potential. Probably a reasonable sanction. 

13 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Draft week. Could be fun, expect to see some trades and movement in the order.

Suns taking Beale is a swing. Arguably in a worse position than they were prior to trading for Durant?

Mental trade last night with the Celtics taking Porzingis, Marcus Smart going to the Grizzlies and Tyus Jones and a variety of other bits to the Wizards. Not really sure I understand that from the Celtics perspective as they lose a lot defensivley with Smart away, and not sure Porzingis is much of an upgrade from 3 on the likes of Smart, Horford, etc. Strange one. Imagine the grizzlies taking Smart means that Brooks likely isn't going back there either.

The Suns just going full "Zidanes y Pavons" Galactico era and having mega stars and taxi drivers on vet minimums should be some laugh. Actually expect Ayton to go, maybe even just for some first round picks, so they can free up some cap space and get some role players in, but if they don't, those bench minutes next season will be outstanding entertainment.

7 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Mental trade last night with the Celtics taking Porzingis, Marcus Smart going to the Grizzlies and Tyus Jones and a variety of other bits to the Wizards. Not really sure I understand that from the Celtics perspective as they lose a lot defensivley with Smart away, and not sure Porzingis is much of an upgrade from 3 on the likes of Smart, Horford, etc. Strange one. Imagine the grizzlies taking Smart means that Brooks likely isn't going back there either.

The Suns just going full "Zidanes y Pavons" Galactico era and having mega stars and taxi drivers on vet minimums should be some laugh. Actually expect Ayton to go, maybe even just for some first round picks, so they can free up some cap space and get some role players in, but if they don't, those bench minutes next season will be outstanding entertainment.

Aye they reckon Ayton will go from what I'm listening to/reading. Loads of guys on 1.6mill a year covering for KD when he's out injured for 3 months

Rumours Zion Williamson won't be a pelican by end of the day either 

1 hour ago, Squalor Vic said:

Aye they reckon Ayton will go from what I'm listening to/reading. Loads of guys on 1.6mill a year covering for KD when he's out injured for 3 months

Rumours Zion Williamson won't be a pelican by end of the day either 

It’s car crash stuff, isn’t it?  I think KD will regret leaving the Warriors when all is said and done. 

Speaking of the Warriors, they’ve traded Poole to the Wizards for CP3, giving them the oldest, most cock punching team in the league, assuming they keep Draymond. Literally no dicks will be safe. 

It’ll have a very limited window of basically next year only, but Draymond screens and DHO’s with either CP3 or Steph handling gives them some decent versatility, especially with Steph getting off ball screens from Looney, Wiggins, etc, rather than Poole getting spun around three times and thrown in to games to play like a dizzy drunk.

Huge fan of the pre-draft trade chaos.

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/07/2023 at 17:28, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I see the NBA are copying the Scottish League Cup for their own trophy

6 groups of 5 playing 4 games

6 winners and two best runners up advance to the quarter finals.

Aye there's already complaints that there's too many games, can't see this being a success but who knows. 

The problem with these sort of comps in the likes of the NBA is that everyone plays each other anyway. No chance of an away day to Arbroath

• 1 month later...
On 16/07/2023 at 20:40, Squalor Vic said:

Aye there's already complaints that there's too many games, can't see this being a success but who knows. 

The problem with these sort of comps in the likes of the NBA is that everyone plays each other anyway. No chance of an away day to Arbroath

Rangers and Celtic in the final, no doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...

I must say I don't really like basketball too much as a spectator sport, I just don't get it, fun to play though. 

Anyway I'm off to NYC soon and got tickets for a Knicks game, just curious coz it's a pre season game how competitive it will be, is it the football equivalent where it'll be like a fitness test or will there be some good basketball on the go, anything I should look out for like decent players or anything? 

20 hours ago, RuMoore said:

I must say I don't really like basketball too much as a spectator sport, I just don't get it, fun to play though. 

Anyway I'm off to NYC soon and got tickets for a Knicks game, just curious coz it's a pre season game how competitive it will be, is it the football equivalent where it'll be like a fitness test or will there be some good basketball on the go, anything I should look out for like decent players or anything? 

Who're they playing against?

I'd say it'll be somewhere close to football equivalent, although they'll be playing against the teams they'll play in the season, so a little more competitive, just with slightly less defending. In saying that, for someone that's not much of a fan, that might be better entertainment wise anyway as they'll have a bit more freedom for trying flashier dribbles, shots, dunks, etc.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Who're they playing against?

I'd say it'll be somewhere close to football equivalent, although they'll be playing against the teams they'll play in the season, so a little more competitive, just with slightly less defending. In saying that, for someone that's not much of a fan, that might be better entertainment wise anyway as they'll have a bit more freedom for trying flashier dribbles, shots, dunks, etc.

The timberwolves who have got to be a bunch of shiters. 

If I had went a week earlier could've been against the celtics which could have made it more appealing 😂

On 05/09/2023 at 20:03, RuMoore said:

The timberwolves who have got to be a bunch of shiters. 

If I had went a week earlier could've been against the celtics which could have made it more appealing 😂

They're actually ok. Anthony Edwards is their best player (or certainly about to be), he plays Kermit in the Adam Sandler basketball film Hustle, and is tremendous to watch, but he's also playing for the US team in the world cup just now, so might be on holiday the first wee while of pre-season, hopefully plays though, amazing dunker. Karl Anthony Towns is also very good, big guy that can shoot, and Rudy Gobert is a 7' 2" Frenchman who's not particularly exciting, but a monster defensively. Knicks have some good players too, Jalen Brunson is class, but is also at the World Cup, not many exciting players, but some very good ones, and they're dogged as f**k. Did well in the playoffs last year, so would imagine there'll be a decent crowd there.

The Garden is absolute class. Been to a knicks game before and boxing, sporting mecca.

23 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

They're actually ok. Anthony Edwards is their best player (or certainly about to be), he plays Kermit in the Adam Sandler basketball film Hustle, and is tremendous to watch, but he's also playing for the US team in the world cup just now, so might be on holiday the first wee while of pre-season, hopefully plays though, amazing dunker. Karl Anthony Towns is also very good, big guy that can shoot, and Rudy Gobert is a 7' 2" Frenchman who's not particularly exciting, but a monster defensively. Knicks have some good players too, Jalen Brunson is class, but is also at the World Cup, not many exciting players, but some very good ones, and they're dogged as f**k. Did well in the playoffs last year, so would imagine there'll be a decent crowd there.

The Garden is absolute class. Been to a knicks game before and boxing, sporting mecca.

Is there anything you'd recommend on YouTube like some easy guide to understanding Basketball type video. I can of course appreciate good dribbling and 3 pointers but I get very confused when it comes to some of the tactics and rules around fouling. 

I had no idea they even did a world cup, I saw something on Twitter recently where some player made fun of the idea the NBA winners are world champions which was quite amusing, seemed to get a lot of flack from the other players. 

I'm sure I'll enjoy it and appreciate the MSG no matter how the game goes anyway. 

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

Is there anything you'd recommend on YouTube like some easy guide to understanding Basketball type video. I can of course appreciate good dribbling and 3 pointers but I get very confused when it comes to some of the tactics and rules around fouling. 

I had no idea they even did a world cup, I saw something on Twitter recently where some player made fun of the idea the NBA winners are world champions which was quite amusing, seemed to get a lot of flack from the other players. 

I'm sure I'll enjoy it and appreciate the MSG no matter how the game goes anyway. 

Just read ‘The Breaks of the Game’ by David Halberstam. It’s just about one season in the history of the Blazers, but it’s far more expansive than that and got me hooked on basketball. 

I still don’t understand all the rules, but the book helps you understand the back stories and passion and artistry of the game 

Edited by The Other Foot