The DUP

Blootoon87

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

f**k that witch. My point is LTL was trying to come across like he wasn't religious or pro Union and then went on to say he was for Devo Max... why not just Independence.

Have posted on here several times that I would probably be on the Yes side in an Indyref2 if there is a soft rather than a hard Brexit, have been critical of the DUP on this and other threads in recent days based on the antics of Noel Little in the 1980s, Iris Robinson's completely over the top homophobia and Edwin Poots's creationism and genuinely am completely atheist, but I still get pigeonholed as being something I'm not by certain posters such as yourself who respond to some Mrs Bunfield stereotype they have in their head rather to what I have actually written. As for devomax, borders are a pain in the neck which is why making them as soft as possible is generally a good move.

17 hours ago, DrewDon said:

The DUP clearly hate our way of life. 

:lol:

Not wrong. Am just waiting for the knock on the door as they sent the boys in to confiscate my beer, condoms and kids' dinosaur books. Just as well the kids are past the breastfeeding stage though.

4 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

:lol:

Not wrong. Am just waiting for the knock on the door as they sent the boys in to confiscate my beer, condoms and kids' dinosaur books. Just as well the kids are past the breastfeeding stage though.

Trust me...The innane drivel of Sammy Wilson is astonishing at times.

14 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/orange-order-portadown-northern-ireland-dup-use-banned-drumcree-march-negotiations-with-theresa-may-a7785026.html

Is this the sort of shit we can look forward to from the DUP and their core support over the next few months ?

They'll try anything, public opinion isn't something they care too much about, hopefully this kind of guff will sway the Tories to tell them to GTF,  can but hope.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/orange-order-portadown-northern-ireland-dup-use-banned-drumcree-march-negotiations-with-theresa-may-a7785026.html

Is this the sort of shit we can look forward to from the DUP and their core support over the next few months ?

My guess is no when there are issues like Brexit to be dealt with. The nightmare scenario with a hard Brexit for Ulster Unionism was the NI-RoI border issue being resolved by giving NI a special status within the EU and imposing the customs checks at Larne rather than at Newry as that would be a stepping stone to UI. The DUP's main focus is likely to be on that issue rather than the Garvaghy Road

My guess is no when there are issues like Brexit to be dealt with. The nightmare scenario with a hard Brexit for Ulster Unionism was the NI-RoI border issue being resolved by giving NI a special status within the EU and imposing the customs checks at Larne rather than at Newry as that would be a stepping stone to UI. The DUP's main focus is likely to be on that issue rather than the Garvaghy Road

So are you saying that the DUP want a hard border from ROI to NI?

Think if you listen to what Arlene Foster is actually saying and ignore all the bizarre hysteria, it's clear they would prefer no special status for NI and a soft border with the RoI, but if there are customs checks required post-Brexit they have to be at Newry rather than Larne. I seriously doubt that they are going to blow their chance to influence something as critical as that so a few lodges and flute bands can walk down the Garvaghy Road. All you have to do is go on the Belfast Telegraph website or Slugger O'Toole to get what's happening there unfiltered by a London media outlet that doesn't fully understand the place.

It being at Larne implies the custom checks apply to goods moving from NI to the rest of the UK. Sinn Fein are pushing for NI to have a special status in the EU after Brexit in a similar way to what Nicola Sturgeon was calling for where Scotland was concerned.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/1208/837566-calls-for-ni-to-have-special-status-within-eu/

Why would it matter if it's Newry or Larne?

Because if it's at Larne, then it puts a clear line between mainland UK and NI... and no line between NI and ROI. This would be wankfest terroirity for the nationlist 32 county movement... but a complete disaster for the unionist 6 county movement... hence DUP will want the border between ROI and NI.. ie Newry, fermanagh, donegal etc

44 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think if you listen to what Arlene Foster is actually saying and ignore all the bizarre hysteria, it's clear they would prefer no special status for NI and a soft border with the RoI, but if there are customs checks required post-Brexit they have to be at Newry rather than Larne. I seriously doubt that they are going to blow their chance to influence something as critical as that so a few lodges and flute bands can walk down the Garvaghy Road. All you have to do is go on the Belfast Telegraph website or Slugger O'Toole to get what's happening there unfiltered by a London media outlet that doesn't fully understand the place.

'No special status for NI and a soft border with RoI' is surely unachievable with ditching the single market and freedom of movement.

NI is almost certain to require some sort of 'special status' in the Brexit deal to keep everyone reasonably happy. This of course has a knock on effect with Sturgeon, the SNP and perhaps even Davidson requesting similar for Scotland.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think if you listen to what Arlene Foster is actually saying and ignore all the bizarre hysteria, it's clear they would prefer no special status for NI and a soft border with the RoI, but if there are customs checks required post-Brexit they have to be at Newry rather than Larne.

It seems strange that if this is the case then they would be pushing for Nigel Farage to be part of the Brexit negotiations (assuming that this is not just mischief making).  That would surely imply that what they are really looking for is a hard Brexit with no concessions to the EU, together with all that implies.

There is no solid evidence that they are pushing for that and unless Nigel Farage has some compromising pictures of Arlene Foster there is no obvious reason why they would use any of the limited political capital that they have gained out of the election outcome helping UKIP's former leader.

The DUP waited until 1 minute past midnight on Monday morning to release a statement indicating their willingness to negotiate but denying a deal was done.

Meanwhile a country in political turmoil has to wait whilst ardent sabbatarians spend all day Sunday praying for guidance.

This is getting ridiculous.