The DUP

Blootoon87

22 hours ago, Dolf said:

I fear the latest opinion polls may upset the DUP's normally sunny disposition 

Not only are Sinn Fein nailed on to be the biggest party come May but the Ulster Unionists look likely to usurp them

I thought you meant this.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/29/majority-of-northern-irish-voters-want-vote-on-staying-in-uk

Long way to go.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Things could change very quickly in NI once the Brexit issue bites.  The EU have taken a softly softly approach so far but that will not last.  Once the agreed protocol is implemented I can see it all kicking off and folk could well reconsider their positions.

Things could change very quickly in NI once the Brexit issue bites.  The EU have taken a softly softly approach so far but that will not last.  Once the agreed protocol is implemented I can see it all kicking off and folk could well reconsider their positions.
The Brexit issue won't bite in NI because it's still in the single market.

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The Brexit issue won't bite in NI because it's still in the single market.

Of course it will.

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

...The census results due out soon will most likely show that the demographic that traditionally votes Unionist is now a minority in a Province that was created to give them a permanent majority...

Tim Pat Coogan was telling us that twenty years ago as well and lots of people were getting all excited about UI being just around the corner. Twenty years on and NI is still around. The census usually fails to live up to the hype because the difference in birthrates has slowly been dropping over time and has always been partially balanced out by a difference in emigration rates that the Tim Pat Coogan types have never included in their projections. An added wrinkle this time is that the Brexit vote won't have helped boost RC numbers any if lots of Poles, Lithuanians and Portuguese people have been leaving in its aftermath.

Presumably the South would get a vote as well. Not sure if they'd do a West Germany take over of East Germany if the NI economy takes a tanking and the South keeps growing post Brexit. Along with the security costs if the UDA/UVF etc get active outside drug dealing again, because of it.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Brexit will not make the slightest bit of difference because the majority of people, even in NI, simply do not care about it anymore. 

It doesn’t move the needle for anyone these days except tedious bores. Thankfully.

9 hours ago, G51 said:

Brexit will not make the slightest bit of difference because the majority of people, even in NI, simply do not care about it anymore.

Really?

Not sure I really agree with that. Now to be fair, like Independence in Scotland, there are other issues that force their way to prominence, but the Brexit deal and "where the border is" is a festering sore that will continue to flair up until a united Ireland.

23 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Nah - can't see the Scottish staunch putting up with that sort of democratic nonsense.  The brave marching choir from yesterday will be straight over there, securing residence and voting rights to put down the rebellion. 

If you think how bad the DUP are in terms of utterly lying to the electorate, while being fooled by their paymasters in Westminster, you have to wonder just what sort of FUD they would broadcast, should the Belfast Agreement be fully adhered to.

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Presumably the South would get a vote as well. Not sure if they'd do a West Germany take over of East Germany if the NI economy takes a tanking and the South keeps growing post Brexit. Along with the security costs if the UDA/UVF etc get active outside drug dealing again, because of it.

There's a strand of opinion emerging (not saying I necessarily agree with it as I would file it under too early to tell yet) that argues that because no deal was avoided the NI protocol actually gives NI the best of both worlds in UK and EU market access terms along with an ongoing sizable subsidy from Westminster that funds a level of public services that would not be available post-UI providing a strong pragmatic case for NI's ongoing existance:

and that Ulster Unionism (the three parties mentioned above plus the sizable portion of Alliance 13% that would vote No in any border poll) has yet to grasp that it is actually in a stronger position again than it realises.

It's pretty amazing when you think of it.

EN - voted for Brexit, got Brexit.
SCO - voted against Brexit, got Brexit.
NI - voted against Brexit, didn't get Brexit, allowed to remain in the EU.
Gibraltar - voted against Brexit, didn't get Brexit, allowed to remain in the EU.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

By everyone.

By the organisers, for not getting the title right. By Higgins, for not just opening up a back channel and getting it corrected. 

An extremely minor thing that’s suddenly become a massive thing. As is so often the case in these parts.