Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Talbot add hundreds to the gate yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it gets doubled - the figures literally don't up to that. Lok home gates this season in all comps:
610 Arthurlie (SLC)
245 Benburb (SLC)
495 Ladeside (L)
415 Girvan (L)
770 Clydebank (L)
550 Perthshire (SJC)
1125 Arthurlie (L)
730 Talbot (L)
530 Glenafton (L)
405 Hurlford (L)
655 Cumnock (L)
630 Kilwinning (L)
620 Beith (L)

Very impressive crowds.

19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So Talbot arent even the biggest draw in the league for Pollok home games then? But doesnt that challenge the view that there are just as many Talbot fans as Lok?

It depends how big you assess the visiting support to be on any other day. So many things can affect who shows up, from games on telly to the competition to the fairweather's perception of the opposition. There is little interest in the Sectional matches v Ants, Neilston and Bens and these are always the worst gates of the season, perhaps challenged by a hastily arranged midweek match at this time of year. Some of the Ayrshire sides at Newlandsfield don't seem to get good numbers (Girvan, Hurlford and Ladeside all sub 500), but that could be due in some cases to the lack of travelling support or other more random factors such as weather and time of year - a game last sat before xmas is a guaranteed stinker. Not sure the discrepancy between Ladeside and Beith - 120+ difference.  For a really run of the mill league game the Lok support might dip below 400 but I cannot see that happening for the Talbot games as they're ones that everyone looks forward to and they'll bring out the fairweathers - if 730 are there I don't believe less than 400 are supporting Lok.

Edited by cmontheloknow

43 minutes ago, gogsy said:

So thats basically what Kelty get in  a normal EOS league game (250-300) and they get slagged off by the likes of Isa Goudie.:)

Out of interest, I had a look at some of this season's  Kelty games on Youtube - the Scottish Cup  game v LTHV looked like a cracking crowd (500+?)  but the more meat'n'totties games - Peebles, Eyemouth and the like -  look mostly in the 150-200 range to me unless a disproportionate number are directly below the angle of the camera.

Still good crowds against teams who will in all likelihood be bringing next to no support up there though.

I’ve been along to quite a few linlithgow games over the past 3 seasons. (Brother married a linlithgow lass and moved). There is no danger you have at least 300 there on a saturday though unless a bonnyrigg or a boness are in town or it’s the junior cup or big scottish. I was also baffled at the attitudes of the rose fans we spoke to at the cup game that said they wouldn’t be back this season once out the big scottish and junior cup because the league means nothing.

The crowds have dropped over the last few seasons for well documented reasons.

Although Braddo has improved things on the park from recent seasons. The recent crowds have looked poor. It doesn't help when your opponents bring single digit support.

Other than the Beggars and Bonnyrigg no other team brings anything of note.

Just now, gogsy said:

There is usually about 40-50 in hospitality as well  though, if theyre paying £30 a head its only fair to include them in attendance figures , thats equivalent of 200-300 attending at  £6 each

If they're paying in fair enough I suppose - nobody comes out to watch the game though? 

Ours is a bit of an anomaly in that you can watch the game from the hospitality suite without having to come down - the raised tower type thing in the photo  - but I appreciate most setups aren't like that.

maryhill02.jpg

Whats the point of Junior Football in the 21st Century. Clubs in the past have had no ambition or wanted to be big fish in small ponds while their supporters boasted about attendances like it really meant something, and the Senior Club supports just laughed and carried on with more ambition. Senior Clubs and Admins have always been good to their Junior counterparts,  Open to join their leagues, Scottish Cup, Extra money via sponsorships. Now the SJFA have been dinosaurs for years have finally realised that the country and time has progressed and they are rushing to join in... and still some clubs are not playing ball.

East and West of Scotland leagues which could happen or increase in the next 2 years will be a postive and major thing to happen to the development of Scottish Football. And i cannot wait for the day it happens. Junior Football should have died in the 1990s.  

30 minutes ago, mrman2011 said:

Whats the point of Junior Football in the 21st Century. Clubs in the past have had no ambition or wanted to be big fish in small ponds while their supporters boasted about attendances like it really meant something, and the Senior Club supports just laughed and carried on with more ambition. Senior Clubs and Admins have always been good to their Junior counterparts,  Open to join their leagues, Scottish Cup, Extra money via sponsorships. Now the SJFA have been dinosaurs for years have finally realised that the country and time has progressed and they are rushing to join in... and still some clubs are not playing ball.

East and West of Scotland leagues which could happen or increase in the next 2 years will be a postive and major thing to happen to the development of Scottish Football. And i cannot wait for the day it happens. Junior Football should have died in the 1990s.  

None of that of course takes into account the Senior Leagues being a closed shop for about 110 years.

5 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Talbot add hundreds to the gate yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it gets doubled - the figures literally don't up to that. Lok home gates this season in all comps:

610 Arthurlie (SLC)
245 Benburb (SLC)
495 Ladeside (L)
415 Girvan (L)
770 Clydebank (L)
550 Perthshire (SJC)
1125 Arthurlie (L)
730 Talbot (L)
530 Glenafton (L)
405 Hurlford (L)
655 Cumnock (L)
630 Kilwinning (L)
620 Beith (L)

That would beat Albion Rovers, Annan. Edinburgh City etc. 

7 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

610 Arthurlie (SLC)
245 Benburb (SLC)
495 Ladeside (L)
415 Girvan (L)
770 Clydebank (L)
550 Perthshire (SJC)
1125 Arthurlie (L)
730 Talbot (L)
530 Glenafton (L)
405 Hurlford (L)
655 Cumnock (L)
630 Kilwinning (L)
620 Beith (L)

Cracking attendances. 

Nae shocks that the forward thinking, progressive Clydebank are a bigger team than Talbot. 

6 hours ago, Glenconner said:

That would beat Albion Rovers, Annan. Edinburgh City etc. 

It would but our prices are half and away supports are bigger perhaps because the teams are local. Away supports can't really be counted on as much in lower reaches of SPFL. I get the impression for most going to football is more a fortnightly thing, rather than the weekly traipse it is for most in the West region! I suppose countering that, the East guys saying away supports are pretty low just now.

12 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

610 Arthurlie (SLC)
245 Benburb (SLC)
495 Ladeside (L)
415 Girvan (L)
770 Clydebank (L)
550 Perthshire (SJC)
1125 Arthurlie (L)
730 Talbot (L)
530 Glenafton (L)
405 Hurlford (L)
655 Cumnock (L)
630 Kilwinning (L)
620 Beith (L)

I went to your Hurlford home league  game a few week's ago with a couple of other neutral fans. 405 fans at the game was very impressive for monsoon weather at times around game time (especially as it was virtually all home fans).

On a side issue, The pies on sale were superb.

8 hours ago, mrman2011 said:

Even for the P&B that post is actually jaw dropping. Ill informed, clichie ridden, condescending, misplaced, arrogant, ignorant, self congratulating, thoughtless, non empathetic, blinkered. Sorry man, but that post is the prime example of someone running off at the mouth, with no scrutiny involved, It's spurious in the extreme. 

Even for the P&B that post is actually jaw dropping. Ill informed, clichie ridden, condescending, misplaced, arrogant, ignorant, self congratulating, thoughtless, non empathetic, blinkered. Sorry man, but that post is the prime example of someone running off at the mouth, with no scrutiny involved, It's spurious in the extreme. 

You could apply those sentiments to quite a lot of the shite you’ve posted here too.