Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

4 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

In terms of the boundary between LL and HL, it is set in stone (currently) to be the midway point of the Tay Bridge. Obviously that can be revisited but that would have to go to the SPFL I'd have thought as they relegate clubs into the LL/HL along the line decreed - it's not up to the EoS to alter that.

So IMO not straight-forward to address but not an 'unfixable' issue.

By that reckoning Scone are in the catchment area but Luncarty are not

13 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

By that reckoning Scone are in the catchment area but Luncarty are not

That's the line, however random it might be! It's not well thought-out, needs challenged and probably needs fixed but I have no idea where you'd start with that... beyond making it 'North of the Tay' but then what do you do further West? Someone did suggest local authorities not being bisected.

Just for clarity, p22 of this doc...

http://slfl.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Scottish-Lowland-Football-League-Rules-Version-8.pdf

Having had a wee look on Google Earth, Luncarty the village is right on 56.4513 decimal degrees. The registered ground slightly north of that.

The line they've picked is the northern shore of the Tay by the airport.

Edited by cmontheloknow

5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

That's the line, however random it might be! It's not well thought-out, needs challenged and probably needs fixed but I have no idea where you'd start with that... beyond making it 'North of the Tay' but then what do you do further West? Someone did suggest local authorities not being bisected.

just cut the country in half so what would stop an Ayrshire or Glasgow team from technically applying?

Edited by Truthteller

Fine let's hear your concerns. Have you got anything beyond £150k toilets, Elgin away and 'LL are all diddy teams', as these have all been dealt with.

want support in getting a licence? Great, let's have a look at what the pyramid system is already providing to its members.

Entry level standard can not be lowered any lower, to suggest it should be lowered to help arrogant west region teams is ridiculous.
Thanks for proving my point.

The irony of this one of course being that the SJFA are desperately trying to cling on to the notion of a NATIONAL tier 6.

What a different a few years make.
I don't think you know what national means.

6 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

just cut the country in half so what would stop an Ayrshire or Glasgow team from technically applying?

We're maybe talking about different things - this line represents where the catchment for Lowland League stops and where the Highland League's catchment starts. Any leagues that feed into those from below will need to adhere to the boundary (IMO) or else relegation / promotion will require a FIFA Wolrd Cup draw co-ordinator!

Clubs from Ayrshire or Glasgow clearly (unarguably) fall into the LL catchment - the issue just now is the lack of a West feeder that feeds to LL. It doesn't have anything to do with the northern boundary of the LL unless teams from way up north on the West coast wanted into it - the Oban / Fort William scenario. Oban are just south of the LL boundary, but the Lochaber area amateur team play in Glasgow

Edited by cmontheloknow

24 minutes ago, bendan said:

Totally agree with this. The snobbery of some of the fans of the bigger junior clubs is ridiculous. This situation could have been avoided if the SJFA had supported, and engaged with, the development of an appropriate pyramid system. They didn't and we've now got a bit of a mess in the east. There's still time to learn and avoid this mess in the north and west, but the evidence suggests they'll adopt an even more obtuse and conservative position.

Whilst I agree with the latter part of your post, I have to take issue with the accusation of 'snobbery' from fans of 'bigger' clubs.  I can only fully speak for myself but I and every other Bo'ness fan I have spoken to wants change.  Naturally we want the best deal we can get but there is a realisation that due to our committees short-sightedness we may have missed the boat as it left the harbour and now have to catch up on a wee tug boat.

Ultimately, the boundary between the HL/LL should not necessarily be fixed as tightly as it currently seems to be. It should be able to move to accommodate the spread of the clubs at that level. Back in the days of Div 3 North and South teams like Grimsby Town and my club Walsall were always moving between the two for this reason. There are always going to be clubs near any putative line.

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I just think in the long term having East, West and South (if they want it) below one North Superleague makes more sense. If you win the Superleague promotion should be automatic, not more playoffs. 

If the boundary doesn't get moved, a merger of the North and old Tayside regions to form a new Superleague, with, as you say, three regional divisions beneath. With the increase in playing standard (Lochee Utd, DNE, Carnoustie etc), most games likely to be in the Dundee / Aberdeen area.

2 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Whilst I agree with the latter part of your post, I have to take issue with the accusation of 'snobbery' from fans of 'bigger' clubs.  I can only fully speak for myself but I and every other Bo'ness fan I have spoken to wants change.  Naturally we want the best deal we can get but there is a realisation that due to our committees short-sightedness we may have missed the boat as it left the harbour and now have to catch up on a wee tug boat.

I did say 'some of the fans'. I should probably have emphasised the 'some', as I know it's far from all and probably only a small minority.

3 minutes ago, Super Saddler said:

Ultimately, the boundary between the HL/LL should not necessarily be fixed as tightly as it currently seems to be. It should be able to move to accommodate the spread of the clubs at that level. Back in the days of Div 3 North and South teams like Grimsby Town and my club Walsall were always moving between the two for this reason. There are always going to be clubs near any putative line.

We're only 4 years into play-offs and relegation from the SPFL, and as we're currently discussing, what is below LL/HL is currently not the final picture. If it's any picture at all, it's a toddler's scribble.  I'm sure change will come.

34 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Why should they be punished? They aren' it' because they weren't forward thinking enough to apply

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I just think in the long term having East, West and South (if they want it) below one North Superleague makes more sense. If you win the Superleague promotion should be automatic, not more playoffs. 

Geographically they all fall under the HL boundary. Why should 6th in the East Region Superleague and 6th in the North Region Superleague be treated any differently when neither are in the SFA pyramid. Tier 6 is a blank slate in the North.

1 hour ago, Truthteller said:

The Ersjfa will have two options for the clubs that are left behind, if the exodus as expected includes Linlithgow, Bo'ness and Broxburn.

A reduced number of 14 superleague teams along with a north and south division.  (Approx 40 clubs in total depending on the number leaving)

or back to the regional leagues, which could pose a problem in the Lothian area with only 10 teams left.

I can see why JC is unhappy 

The west Lothian / central belt teams could very easily go west if there is not enough teams and fife and Tayside would have their regional leagues back.

In terms of the boundary between the Highland & Lowland there appears to have been the understanding of flexibility over it long term when the Lowland was being created. Now its 5 years down the line and there's enough interested parties, there's no harm in asking the question.

image.png.363ac408f908a8da18b574deb665c149.png

26 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Geographically they all fall under the HL boundary. Why should 6th in the East Region Superleague and 6th in the North Region Superleague be treated any differently when neither are in the SFA pyramid. Tier 6 is a blank slate in the North.

We're quite happy with things as they are up here, thank you, but for movement between level 6 and 5. Just because you've made a clusterfuck of things down south doesn't mean you get to f**k up our system as well. Blank slate my arse.

P.S. It might be possible to fast track some of the top teams (however you decide that) into the Superleague by expanding it from 14 to 16 or 18. I really hate the idea of a parallel Tayside Superleague leaching on to our structure.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Jock Tamson said:
1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:
Except that they're not in the LL's catchment area - nothing to do with TJ. North of the tay Bridge is Highland League territory. Those clubs, if coming into the pyramid, would need to form a regional league beneath it and chap at the HFL door.

Are the catchment area's rigid?

The Mission Statement for The East of Scotland Football League is "To Develop, Foster, Co-Ordinate and Sustain Association Football at Club and League level throughout Edinburgh, the Lothians, the Borders, Fife and Stirlingshire"

The mis-spelling and spurious capitals are not mine, but the EoSFL's.

5 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Well if St Andrews Dundonald and Thornton go there not going to be enough for a Fife league.

You forgot .kennoway, kirkcaldy , glenrothes, Oakley and tayport ..think they are having meetings Tuesday and Wednesday