Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Kelty Hearts

I mean, seriously.

This is level we've all aspire to?

I do like it when a club beats a team in a one off game, all of a sudden the level that the defeated club comes from is rubbish and clubs from the juniors should aspire for better.

Where was this approach when Talbot were beaten by Cumbernauld Colts for example?

Take the game for what it was, a cup tie that Talbot out foxed their opponent on the night.

In a game that was pretty much lacking in overall footballing quality (both teams) Talbot were simply better organised, well drilled on defensive shape and when to press, but were most importantly clinical in front of goal.

I would though like to see how Talbot and others would fare across a season in the LL, maybe then, and only then, could we all have some evidence to support our views either way.

2 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

I do like it when a club beats a team in a one off game, all of a sudden the level that the defeated club comes from is rubbish and clubs from the juniors should aspire for better.

Where was this approach when Talbot were beaten by Cumbernauld Colts for example?

Take the game for what it was, a cup tie that Talbot out foxed their opponent on the night.

In a game that was pretty much lacking in overall footballing quality (both teams) Talbot were simply better organised, well drilled on defensive shape and when to press, but were most importantly clinical in front of goal.

I would though like to see how Talbot and others would fare across a season in the LL, maybe then, and only then, could we all have some evidence to support our views either way.

If that was the best the LL has to offer Talbot would skoosh that league if Kelty are hammering all and sundry . I can't believe KH are forking out a fortune for that squad. They should be made to donate their wages to charity. As for the club themselves, great set up, humble supporters who wished us all the best after the match. I hope they get what they have always wanted.

If that was the best the LL has to offer Talbot would skoosh that league if Kelty are hammering all and sundry . I can't believe KH are forking out a fortune for that squad. They should be made to donate their wages to charity. As for the club themselves, great set up, humble supporters who wished us all the best after the match. I hope they get what they have always wanted.
Again, Kelty sit top right now. It was a one off game, much like each time Talbot have been knocked out from teams who they may believe to be inferior. Things, as you know, are a lot different over a season. One off cup games cannot, and should not, be used as a marker for the judgement of standard if either a team or league.

Well done Talbot, they were better on the night. They will, given how poor Kelty were on the night, face tougher tests it has to be said.

It's obvious that Talbot are a very well organised and managed club. They deserve the successes which they've had so far.

It is also clear that they are building for a future at a higher level and on a sustainable basis. They won't be wanting to be left behind when the time comes.

Good luck to them.

40 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

Again, Kelty sit top right now. It was a one off game, much like each time Talbot have been knocked out from teams who they may believe to be inferior. Things, as you know, are a lot different over a season. One off cup games cannot, and should not, be used as a marker for the judgement of standard if either a team or league.

Well done Talbot, they were better on the night. They will, given how poor Kelty were on the night, face tougher tests it has to be said.

If it was a tight, one goal victory I could agree with the thought that it was a one off. However, the fact of the matter is that Talbot won by a three goal margin and by your own admission, bossed their opponents in every part of their own pitch. Leave the comparison with the Junior grade aside and also historical Talbot v LL opposition (although history shows they beat the team who won Tier 5, over two matches last season). Auchinleck Talbot F.C. are quite simply streets ahead of what the Lowland League currently has to offer. It's that simple.

That is the reason that Tier 5 is laughed at. I agree with a previous poster who talked about Talbot having a perfect situation right now, in that they are winning regularly in their grade and get the chance to affront teams of supposed higher standing, in front of a national audience, on a regular basis now. There's a reason why the BBC have chosen these matches to show live. Talbot are a footballing phenomenon and a breath of fresh air in a national game which is in a horrible state. Long may it continue!

19 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Talbot are a footballing phenomenon and a breath of fresh air in a national game which is in a horrible state. Long may it continue!

Kinnell, pished at 11:00am.

At least its the only thing I can think of, well done to wee Talbot on winning last night but it doesn't disguise the fact they are playing in a backwater league when they should be aiming much much higher.

A backwater league are you having a laugh. The backwater league here is the lowland leauge if they have played is it 10 games and scored 40 goals ? What does that tell you.

Kinnell, pished at 11:00am.
At least its the only thing I can think of, well done to wee Talbot on winning last night but it doesn't disguise the fact they are playing in a backwater league when they should be aiming much much higher.

3 minutes ago, Smudger said:

A backwater league are you having a laugh. The backwater league here is the lowland leauge if they have played is it 10 games and scored 40 goals ? What does that tell you.

Remind me of Talbots scores this season? Beith got pumped off Kelty, does that mean the west juniors have a few decent teams at the top and dross filling the rest?!

If it was a tight, one goal victory I could agree with the thought that it was a one off. However, the fact of the matter is that Talbot won by a three goal margin and by your own admission, bossed their opponents in every part of their own pitch. Leave the comparison with the Junior grade aside and also historical Talbot v LL opposition (although history shows they beat the team who won Tier 5, over two matches last season). Auchinleck Talbot F.C. are quite simply streets ahead of what the Lowland League currently has to offer. It's that simple.
That is the reason that Tier 5 is laughed at. I agree with a previous poster who talked about Talbot having a perfect situation right now, in that they are winning regularly in their grade and get the chance to affront teams of supposed higher standing, in front of a national audience, on a regular basis now. There's a reason why the BBC have chosen these matches to show live. Talbot are a footballing phenomenon and a breath of fresh air in a national game which is in a horrible state. Long may it continue!

If you are "streets ahead" of the LL, why did you labour at EoS Dundonald and hardly impressed at EoS Camelon? Some Talbot fans need to calm down, an excellent result last night against good opposition, but all it shows is that Talbot are a very good team and won the tie.

What it also proves though is that Talbot have outgrown Junior football. Time for them to prove themselves over a season at tier 5.

Remind me of Talbots scores this season? Beith got pumped off Kelty, does that mean the west juniors have a few decent teams at the top and dross filling the rest?!
Well we defo beat 2 east teams 3 nil an 6 - 1 and they are in the pyramid the lowland leauge I would guess is worse than ours

This result doesn’t show the strength of junior football. It shows the strength of Talbot.
They’re so far ahead of everyone in junior fitba nowadays. It’s time they tested themselves at a higher level.
Shh yer interupting the 'mon eh junyoorz' circlejerk

1 hour ago, .Stuart. said:

...They’re so far ahead of everyone in junior fitba nowadays. It’s time they tested themselves at a higher level.

Not least because they have managed to kill off a lot of the interest there used to be in the the junior cup by dominating it so much for the last few decades. OK, you've proved you can do that so now let's see if you really can do what Isa Goudie always claimed you could and compete against clubs like Airdrie, Raith Rovers and Falkirk in League One.

Pathetic that some all too obviously fear pyramid entry because it means ultimately moving up to a level where they lose more often than they win. Would Talbot still have more away fans than Hamilton Accies, if that became the norm for them and they were no longer a miniature version of an Old Firm club? 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Played 6 games against LL teams, won 3. Not the best non league has to offer. I didn't say they bossed it, those are your words, they got it right on the night.

Talbot are well organised, have a specific way to play and get results consistently due to this in the juniors and against certain teams in Cup games. They got it right on the night in a one off cup game.

I hope they join the LL and only then can anyone suggest they will skoosh it, if they do. It will be interesting to see how they fare over a season.

Alternatively, people may choose to continue to believe they are the best non league team with no concrete evidence to prove this assertion. (a league campaign or non league cup campaign involving every other non league club)

Roll on the pyramid.

49 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

Played 6 games against LL teams, won 3. Not the best non league has to offer. I didn't say they bossed it, those are your words, they got it right on the night.

Talbot are well organised, have a specific way to play and get results consistently due to this in the juniors and against certain teams in Cup games. They got it right on the night in a one off cup game.

I hope they join the LL and only then can anyone suggest they will skoosh it, if they do. It will be interesting to see how they fare over a season.

Alternatively, people may choose to continue to believe they are the best non league team with no concrete evidence to prove this assertion. (a league campaign or non league cup campaign involving every other non league club)

Roll on the pyramid.

Why do you insist on harping back to results which suit your argument? Mind you, I suppose that has asks and answers the question all in one. Try to be current. This Talbot team would walk the LL and I really can't see how anyone could suggest differently.

Let me be clear. I am not bigging up the Junior grade here, I'm pointing out how much Talbot are showing up the non league system. If they "have a specific way to play" then a top Tier 5 team like Kelty should have sussed it out and negated it, that's if they had the quality. You lads go on about Talbot being a big fish in a small pond. If this Kelty team win by between 7 and 10 goals each week then I think that particular shoe fits better on them.

As for evidence of being the best non-league team goes, where have you been the last few seasons? I have the utmost respect for Kelty Hearts having been the first to make the jump from the Junior grade and, until last night it had gone extremely well for them. Just don't kid yourselves that as soon as they moved out it was an upward move in quality. It wisnae.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

If you are "streets ahead" of the LL, why did you labour at EoS Dundonald and hardly impressed at EoS Camelon? Some Talbot fans need to calm down, an excellent result last night against good opposition, but all it shows is that Talbot are a very good team and won the tie.

What it also proves though is that Talbot have outgrown Junior football. Time for them to prove themselves over a season at tier 5.

Imagine trying to use a tie which Talbot went through 6-1 and another where they won comfortably away to try to disprove the idea that they are better. Jeezo

Edited by jimbaxters