Football League 2017/18 season

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent little game for Rochdale 1 Charlton 0.  They had to better Oldham's result and as they drew 2-2 then Rochdale survived. 

Annoying coverage at the end though. Northampton v Oldham somehow ended up 7 minutes behind the Rochdale game meaning everyone had to hang around at Spotland waiting for that result. Sky had to fill in with chat instead of being able to switch to see the end of the Northampton game, As well as numerous fan shots they showed you some of the Rochdale players standing watching the other game on a tv under the stand. You could just make out some of the play. It's ridiculous that under these circumstances Sky couldn't just quickly switch over and let everyone see the last few minutes of the crucial game. Presumably red bloody tape wins again. 

7 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Decent little game for Rochdale 1 Charlton 0.  They had to better Oldham's result and as they drew 2-2 then Rochdale survived. 

Annoying coverage at the end though. Northampton v Oldham somehow ended up 7 minutes behind the Rochdale game meaning everyone had to hang around at Spotland waiting for that result. Sky had to fill in with chat instead of being able to switch to see the end of the Northampton game, As well as numerous fan shots they showed you some of the Rochdale players standing watching the other game on a tv under the stand. You could just make out some of the play. It's ridiculous that under these circumstances Sky couldn't just quickly switch over and let everyone see the last few minutes of the crucial game. Presumably red bloody tape wins again. 

Surely they could've just kept the camera that had a glimpse of the other game? I couldn't quite make out what was going on, but I would've preferred that to watching people on their phones looking dead anxious.

17 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Surely they could've just kept the camera that had a glimpse of the other game? I couldn't quite make out what was going on, but I would've preferred that to watching people on their phones looking dead anxious.

They seemed to linger longer and longer under the stand as if trying to sneak it in but no doubt some jobs worth director in London would've been telling them to cut it out!

Barnet out of the Football League for a third time - surely a record by now? Hard way to go too, winning your game at Chesterfield (to be renamed Implosionfield if I have my way), but still going down because Morecambe needed and secured a point at Coventry, who conveniently also needed a point to qualify for the play-offs. Barnet obviously only have themselves to blame for getting into a position where they have to rely on other results going their way, but that must sting really badly.

Looking forward to seeing how the Championship unfolds tomorrow, especially the relegation battle; Barnsley, Birmingham, Bolton, and Burton contesting places 20, 21, 22, and 23 (shame Sunderland finished last instead of Bristol for an extra B down there).

Bolton has the easiest match on paper - Forest has nothing to play for - but they've also the fewest points. Birmingham need just a point and meet Fulham who are still vying for second place, but if Cardiff get an early goal in their game I imagine the Cottagers will ease off the gas a little with their eye on the play-offs. The other two games are more interesting; Preston North End need to win their match versus Burton and have Derby lose to Barnsley in order to make the play-offs, giving them everything to play for versus the Brewers. Derby really only needs to draw, but I imagine Barnsley needs more than just a point to stay ahead of Burton 'n Bolton.

If there's any kind of back-and-forth broadcast of the Championship matches á la NFL Redzone, let me know so I can look it up for a good nervy afternoon.

Think Reading aren’t safe either.

Obviously I would find it funny if Blues were relegated, but also not mad on Bolton. The latter seem to go out of their way to help Blues survive each season.

I like Burton, they try to play good attacking football. 3 wins in a row, but still underdogs to stay up.

However, if Burton lose it could help Preston into the playoffs, which would be great.

Despite having worked beside some decent Birmingham fans I was hoping they'd go down after the way the new owners shafted Rowett and the succession of f**k up's they've made with appointments ever since but looks like they'll be ok. Can see Barnsley and Burton going down.

Much against P&B public opinion I hope Cardiff go up as ensuring there's at least one non-English side in their greatest league in the world would be good. Fulham are just another bland London club that does nothing for me.

7 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Despite having worked beside some decent Birmingham fans I was hoping they'd go down after the way the new owners shafted Rowett and the succession of f**k up's they've made with appointments ever since but looks like they'll be ok. Can see Barnsley and Burton going down.

Much against P&B public opinion I hope Cardiff go up as ensuring there's at least one non-English side in their greatest league in the world would be good. Fulham are just another bland London club that does nothing for me.

Obviously never been to Fulham. 

8 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Obviously never been to Fulham. 

Nope. Never felt the need to go out of my way to visit. Same as QPR, Brentford, Charlton or Millwall. What treat am I missing?

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Nope. Never felt the need to go out of my way to visit. Same as QPR, Brentford, Charlton or Millwall. What treat am I missing?

You really need to broaden your horizons 7-2. Great old fashioned ground by the river and lots of good pubs nearby. Brentford is another gem. 

7 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

You really need to broaden your horizons 7-2. Great old fashioned ground by the river and lots of good pubs nearby. Brentford is another gem. 

Shrewsbury had a great old fashioned ground by the river and were a short walk from pubs in the historic town centre. They even had a club boatman in a coracle to retrieve match balls from the Severn. They obviously deserved their place at the top table of English football.  Strange they never made it. The boat must have been worth a few points a season.

A pub on every corner is definitely worth going to see., even when at least one's closed. I must draw up a bucket list. 

19 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Shrewsbury had a great old fashioned ground by the river and were a short walk from pubs in the historic town centre. They even had a club boatman in a coracle to retrieve match balls from the Severn. They obviously deserved their place at the top table of English football.  Strange they never made it. The boat must have been worth a few points a season.

A pub on every corner is definitely worth going to see., even when at least one's closed. I must draw up a bucket list. 

A shame they never did make it 7-2 but guess maybe one day their shiny new build will do something for you in between Sky telling you it’s the greatest League in the world. :) 

Archived