'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Each club is free to share its view further afield or not as it believes appropriatep

Agreed and I would hope each club will. Let's be honest, if a club thinks it's important to keep this info away from fans then it's fairly safe to assume they've ignored the fans and support the proposal.

15 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Each club is free to share its view further afield or not as it believes appropriatep

The SPFL have a duty in my view to respond to this subject. Their own pet poodle organisation has published a poll clearly stating that the supporters who voted are not in favour of any plans to introduce B teams into the league system. That alone deserves some comment from the league. Clubs are entitled to comment privately to their umbrella body and expect them to deal with the outcome. Fair and reasonable approach I think. 

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

You seem to be acting as some sort of spokesman for the proponents of this scheme - can I ask why ?

Hoping that Cowden are picked to become Celtic's 'B' team IMO  :P

2 hours ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Just a suggestion but the English premier league...rangers and Celtic...could join that league and we could all live happily ever after

An excellent suggestion, with just one tiny flaw...

20 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Why? It was a private consultation with clubs and feedback was received. It wasn't a public debate.

It is such a sensitive issue for fans with a large number of impacted supporters being very interested on the outcome. Without the fans there would be no SPFL. I feel they have a duty to their paying customers. If it was a private debate why even tell the fans the date the consultancy ends? That's the equivalent of going on Facebook and saying 'I have big news' then when someone asking what saying 'I'll PM you'  

It is such a sensitive issue for fans with a large number of impacted supporters being very interested on the outcome. Without the fans there would be no SPFL. I feel they have a duty to their paying customers. If it was a private debate why even tell the fans the date the consultancy ends? That's the equivalent of going on Facebook and saying 'I have big news' then when someone asking what saying 'I'll PM you'  

There isn't an outcome though until working group looks at results and maybe then seeks further feedback or makes a proposal - there aren't any decisions being made by 30 June or this month. It's being portrayed as a vote on a specific proposal when it isn't.

7 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Did the SPFL make any such announcement? It was carried in the press because someone clearly passed the details on to them but I don't recall seeing any statement from the SPFL about it.

16 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

There isn't an outcome though until working group looks at results and maybe then seeks further feedback or makes a proposal - there aren't any decisions being made by 30 June or this month. It's being portrayed as a vote on a specific proposal when it isn't.

Do you not think some kind of update, timescale or even a peep on the Colts issue would be appropriate to fans when it is such a sensitive issue? We haven't even had something along the lines of

'The consolation has now ended, the SPFL thanks clubs for their feedback and we will communicate the next steps by... We also have received and will review the result of the fan survey provided.' SFA were quick enough coming out with a Rangers comment and SPFL quick enough to come out and say they would consider the ramifications of the court case outcome but not a word on Colts that impact every club. I'm surprised you think that's acceptable, especially with your club potentially being one of the main impacted. 

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Did the SPFL make any such announcement? It was carried in the press because someone clearly passed the details on to them but I don't recall seeing any statement from the SPFL about it.

They posted on their official website mate, saying that there would be a consolation with clubs ending on the 30th. I think the minimum we deserve is an acknowledgement but not a word almost two weeks later. As I said above, they came out officially saying they would review the Rangers court case within a matter of hours of the decision. The thoughts of us wee teams clearly isn't as important. 

Do you not think some kind of update, timescale or even a peep on the Colts issue would be appropriate to fans when it is such a sensitive issue? We haven't even had something along the lines of
'The consolation has now ended, the SPFL thanks clubs for their feedback and we will communicate the next steps by... We also have received and will review the result of the fan survey provided.' SFA were quick enough coming out with a Rangers comment and SPFL quick enough to come out and say they would consider the ramifications of the court case outcome but not a word on Colts that impact every club. I'm surprised you think that's acceptable, especially with your club potentially being one of the main impacted. 

Not really - clubs asked to give feedback by 30 June and they were then thanked and told what would happen next. Thus my club are aware of what the position is at present. I don't recall the SPFL asking for fan comments at this stage as it was privately consulting its membership which is not unusual. The other matter is something that has very much been in the public arena for years.

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not really - clubs asked to give feedback by 30 June and they were then thanked and told what would happen next. Thus my club are aware of what the position is at present. I don't recall the SPFL asking for fan comments at this stage as it was privately consulting its membership which is not unusual. The other matter is something that has very much been in the public arena for years.

So this is my exact point. I know it's been done in private between the clubs and the league. My point is that's not the right way to do this. It's such a sensitive subject for a number of fans. It's also overwhelmingly unpopular with non OF fans, so why just exclude your paying customers?

That's my point more than the way they're doing it, I know how they're doing it I just don't agree. Not sure if you think it is the right or wrong way personally but for me fans are the life blood and should be engaged in major issues like this. It's the 12-12-18 rubbish all over again where the majority of fans were against it but completely ignored by majority of clubs. Thank god for Ross County and St Mirren. 

50 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

They posted on their official website mate, saying that there would be a consolation with clubs ending on the 30th. I think the minimum we deserve is an acknowledgement but not a word almost two weeks later. As I said above, they came out officially saying they would review the Rangers court case within a matter of hours of the decision. The thoughts of us wee teams clearly isn't as important. 

The only article I can find on the SPFL site, which I confess I didn't go back far enough to find when I looked yesterday, is this one:

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-consults-with-clubs-on-colt-teams/

If this is the article you are talking about, and it certainly reads like it's the first comment on the subject, then it doesn't mention a date for consultation ending. That said we know it has ended because the date is commonly known. I don't know when the press first published the story and whether the SPFL story is a grudging public acknowledgement after the fact or whether they always intended to publish the information. If it's the former then the lack of any acknowledgement of the date passing is no surprise.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The only article I can find on the SPFL site, which I confess I didn't go back far enough to find when I looked yesterday, is this one:

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-consults-with-clubs-on-colt-teams/

If this is the article you are talking about, and it certainly reads like it's the first comment on the subject, then it doesn't mention a date for consultation ending. That said we know it has ended because the date is commonly known. I don't know when the press first published the story and whether the SPFL story is a grudging public acknowledgement after the fact or whether they always intended to publish the information. If it's the former then the lack of any acknowledgement of the date passing is no surprise.

Yeah the whole communication item with SPFL is a massive issue for me. I've said it before but I have no idea why the chiefs are not democratically elected every 3-5 years to make them accountable. Would like to see member clubs vote on who runs the countries league, ideally with a rule in place about canvasing fans. For example each season ticket holder gets a vote. 

Just now, Bazil85 said:

Yeah the whole communication item with SPFL is a massive issue for me. I've said it before but I have no idea why the chiefs are not democratically elected every 3-5 years to make them accountable. Would like to see member clubs vote on who runs the countries league, ideally with a rule in place about canvasing fans. For example each season ticket holder gets a vote. 

Asking fans to vote for football administrators would be ridiculous. There could be no objectivity and it would surely lead to much more bias in decision making given the vast majority of voters would be Old Firm fans. If the office bearers were looking to keep their jobs then like every politician going they'd have to appease the majority of their voters.

If you are talking about the officials who fill the working committees etc then they already are elected annually by the clubs. If you are talking about the paid staff then I don't think that would work and we're only fundamentally discussing 3 or 4 people anyway, in practice only one of whom is particularly public. I imagine the fan in the stands generally would struggle to name an SPFL employee other than Neil Doncaster.

Archived