Premier League 2017-2018

12 hours ago, buchan30 said:

I thought i saw them doing that during a game during the summer. Maybe the womens world cup?
If i am right about that, then I wouldn't be surprised if it does become the next step.

Very possibly and especially if it was in a diddy competition as that's obviously where changes are trialled. Worrying if it was though. In rugby when a conversion's taken the ball goes dead no matter what happens but not if it's a penalty, which is obviously the same in football. If it's missed play goes on and an interviewer could quite easily be caught up in the midst of a quick breakaway up the pitch. It should really just be a total non-starter.

I know TV is paying more and more and will demand more and more access but it's really becoming invasive. Interviewing managers during games, which was tried decades ago and ditched, is back plus there's now talking to players coming off at half time. They won't be happy until they've fully copied their US counterparts and have interviewers more or less embedded in the changing rooms. As I said, I wouldn't mind so much if you got interesting chat and comments...imagine shoving a mic into Neil Warnock's gob seconds after a dodgy decision against Cardiff...but we don't. We just get more and more of the same bland media trained answers.

It's now a case of the more direct contact we have with players and officials the less we actually hear and it's just going to get worse.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame the attitude to last night hasn't been a straight forward 'What a cracking game. This is what the fans want to see.' Instead it's been 'Exciting game but only because of the awful defending. It was terrible. Awful' 

Has anyone ever done well with Zonal marking at corners? I assume someone does, which is why it keeps cropping up, but it seems an awful way of defending to me.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Has anyone ever done well with Zonal marking at corners? I assume someone does, which is why it keeps cropping up, but it seems an awful way of defending to me.

Liverpool''s record under Benitez was really good. Thing is, you only remember when zonal marking goes wrong, not the hundreds of times that the ball is cleared.

In general, you'll concede goals from set pieces no matter what you do. It's unavoidable.

Liverpool''s record under Benitez was really good. Thing is, you only remember when zonal marking goes wrong, not the hundreds of times that the ball is cleared.
In general, you'll concede goals from set pieces no matter what you do. It's unavoidable.

That's a fair point. Just seems like a well drilled team find it easier to beat zonal compared to man.

Some goal that, Manes turning into a great player.

Archived