The Celtic All Seasons thread

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Some amount of mental gymnastics goes on when you're an Old Firm fan.

We have the same group of fans condemning everyone who doesn't agree with their exact view of the Kamara events in one thread whilst mocking or downplaying a mans mental health problems in this thread.

Must be exhausting.

This is a fairly wild take on things.

No one is downplaying Neil Lennon's mental health problems in this thread. They're just pointing out that going out and getting really pished doesn't mean the guy is going through a depressive episode, and is actually a fairly normal part of life in Scottish society. Speculating about Lennon's mental health because he got drunk isn't really helpful IMO.

As for the other thread, I don't think it's unreasonable to defend myself when someone falsely accuses me of being a bigot.

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Some amount of mental gymnastics goes on when you're an Old Firm fan.

We have the same group of fans condemning everyone who doesn't agree with their exact view of the Kamara events in one thread whilst mocking or downplaying a mans mental health problems in this thread.

Must be exhausting.

C'mon mate, I know you're fishing but that's a rather poor accusation to make. Talk about mental gymnastics, you've totally misconstrued both arguments.

Nobody has down-played any mental health problems Lennon may have. The incident could be linked to mental health, but all folk are saying is that going out and getting pished in itself is not an automatic indicator that it is linked to mental health problems. If anything, folk have been supporting him by saying that going out and getting pished isn't that big a deal in isolation.

I see you have also conflated everyone who has said something similar to be 'Old Firm fans' when there have been plenty of non-old firm fans agreeing. Mental gymnastics, eh.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

This is a fairly wild take on things.

No one is downplaying Neil Lennon's mental health problems in this thread. They're just pointing out that going out and getting really pished doesn't mean the guy is going through a depressive episode, and is actually a fairly normal part of life in Scottish society. Speculating about Lennon's mental health because he got drunk isn't really helpful IMO.

As for the other thread, I don't think it's unreasonable to defend myself when someone falsely accuses me of being a bigot.

😂

Yeah. Man has history of alcohol abuse and depression. Man travels to neighbouring country immediately after pubs open in this country while they remain closed in the country where he resides. Man gets himself in to a ridiculous state where it looks like he can barely stand on his own two feet without his pal having a grasp of his collar. 

Sounds like a normal part of life in Scottish society to me.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

C'mon mate, I know you're fishing but that's a rather poor accusation to make. Talk about mental gymnastics, you've totally misconstrued both arguments.

Nobody has down-played any mental health problems Lennon may have. The incident could be linked to mental health, but all folk are saying is that going out and getting pished in itself is not an automatic indicator that it is linked to mental health problems. If anything, folk have been supporting him by saying that going out and getting pished isn't that big a deal in isolation.

I see you have also conflated everyone who has said something similar to be 'Old Firm fans' when there have been plenty of non-old firm fans agreeing. Mental gymnastics, eh.

Not fishing at all.

While Romeo can be tedious when it comes to tit for tat stuff he's quoted many posts on the matter.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Not fishing at all.

While Romeo can be tedious when it comes to tit for tat stuff he's quoted many posts on the matter.

I see you've just ignored the points I've made.

45 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

I don’t get the big issues if it did . The guy was clearly described as retired so can spend his days how he likes.  Nobody knows the guys personal circumstances so don’t see the point in judging the guy. 

Aye he’s worked and now retired so can spend his days as he pleases. He’s not harming anyone.

13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

😂

Yeah. Man has history of alcohol abuse and depression. Man travels to neighbouring country immediately after pubs open in this country while they remain closed in the country where he resides. Man gets himself in to a ridiculous state where it looks like he can barely stand on his own two feet without his pal having a grasp of his collar. 

Alcoholism is a fairly normal part of Scottish society, unfortunately. It's not uncommon - something like 40% of all adults in the Highlands exceed the weekly recommended limit, and about 10% are "problem drinkers", a significant number of which will be alcoholics.

I get that some people are sheltered from this because they don't see it or don't have family or friends who are alcoholics, but it's common.

Going back to Lennon, this could be indicative of a depressive episode. But it also might not be. Either way, I don't think it's particularly helpful to speculate that it is, and if it is then the guy just needs a bit of space and time while the folk around him help sort him out. He doesn't need people chattering and gossiping about it, and he certainly doesn't need people filming him in that nick.

On 13/04/2021 at 22:33, AJF said:

I kind of agree that it’s being made out to be more than it *could* be.

Maybe it has something to do with his mental health state, but if this was a video of a random guy that none of us knew then nobody would bat an eyelid.

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I ignored it because it was nonsense.

This part in particular "If anything, folk have been supporting him by saying that going out and getting pished isn't that big a deal in isolation".

That was my original post on the matter above and this is pretty reflective of what people have been saying. Is this "downplaying" his mental health issues?

By saying Lennon going out and getting drunk in isolation is not in itself evidence he is suffering from poor mental health is down playing his history of mental health problems?

By saying that Lennon going out and getting pished, like many others do and have done, isn't that big a deal is nonsense?

As far as I recall, nobody has said he is not suffering from poor mental health. If you can point out where it has been said, then fair enough.

I also like the part you ignored when I questioned you branding this an "Old-Firm" issue when plenty of other posters have agreed with it that are not old firm fans. Are you ignoring that too?

Just now, G51 said:

Alcoholism is a fairly normal part of Scottish society, unfortunately. It's not uncommon - something like 40% of all adults in the Highlands exceed the weekly recommended limit, and about 10% are "problem drinkers", a significant number of which will be alcoholics.

I get that some people are sheltered from this because they don't see it or don't have family or friends who are alcoholics, but it's common.

Going back to Lennon, this could be indicative of a depressive episode. But it also might not be. Either way, I don't think it's particularly helpful to speculate that it is, and if it is then the guy just needs a bit of space and time while the folk around him help sort him out. He doesn't need people chattering and gossiping about it, and he certainly doesn't need people filming him in that nick.

I'll agree with your last line and agree to disagree with the condescending parts of your post.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

That was my original post on the matter above and this is pretty reflective of what people have been saying. Is this "downplaying" his mental health issues?

By saying Lennon going out and getting drunk in isolation is not in itself evidence he is suffering from poor mental health is down playing his history of mental health problems?

By saying that Lennon going out and getting pished, like many others do and have done, isn't that big a deal is nonsense?

As far as I recall, nobody has said he is not suffering from poor mental health. If you can point out where it has been said, then fair enough.

I also like the part you ignored when I questioned you branding this an "Old-Firm" issue when plenty of other posters have agreed with it that are not old firm fans. Are you ignoring that too?

I don't see any of those posters in your thread getting worked up about the Kamara situation. That's why.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I'll agree with your last line and agree to disagree with the condescending parts of your post.

Certainly can't have condescending posts on this topic.

23 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

😂

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I don't see any of those posters in your thread getting worked up about the Kamara situation. That's why.

Again, you ignore so much of my post to suit your argument. And you claim other folk are doing mental gymnastics.

How can you couple someone's view on the Lennon incident as an Old-Firm issue when other non Old-Firm fans share the same opinion?

How about we just agree that regardless of mental health history, filming people against their knowledge and spreading it on social media is abhorrent behaviour. No one is fair game just because they are famous. 

I think the point MR is making is that ‘aw he’s just had a day out’ argument sounds like justifying having a wee laugh about it to themselves. 

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Again, you ignore so much of my post to suit your argument. And you claim other folk are doing mental gymnastics.

How can you couple someone's view on the Lennon incident as an Old-Firm issue when other non Old-Firm fans share the same opinion?

You could correct me if I am wrong here but I'm absolutely certain that the guys who I've seen post on both threads ( @Bairnardo and @Dons_1988 ) have been supportive of Kamara and made measured posts on the subject whilst also stating in this thread that Lennon's situation isn't to be mocked or filmed to be used for comedic effect. 

Which takes me back to my original point. Old firm fans defending their club/player whilst downplaying/mocking the other club/player. Over and over.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

How about we just agree that regardless of mental health history, filming people against their knowledge and spreading it on social media is abhorrent behaviour. No one is fair game just because they are famous. 

I think the point MR is making is that ‘aw he’s just had a day out’ argument sounds like justifying having a wee laugh about it to themselves. 

It's not rocket science is it?

I think you were the one that pointed out that perhaps his friends shouldn't be putting him in that situation. Spot on.

If one of my mates had a history of alcohol abuse then I'd be having a word with him if he's desperate to cross the border to get a pint because the pubs in Scotland are closed.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

You could correct me if I am wrong here but I'm absolutely certain that the guys who I've seen post on both threads ( @Bairnardo and @Dons_1988 ) have been supportive of Kamara and made measured posts on the subject whilst also stating in this thread that Lennon's situation isn't to be mocked or filmed to be used for comedic effect. 

Which takes me back to my original point. Old firm fans defending their club/player whilst downplaying/mocking the other club/player. Over and over.

I'm not sure where you'll find that I disagree that Lennon's situation isn't to be mocked, so I'm not entirely sure what your point is?

Similarly, I can't recall seeing where anyone has defended Kamara and then downplayed or mocked Lennon?

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

100% agree with your first sentence.

Second point, I'm not sure that's the point he was making at all. If it is, I'm not sure how anyone here can be viewed to be laughing at Lennon based on what's been said as 'aw he's just had a day out' is not what's being said.