The Celtic All Seasons thread

17 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

That’s not a great price for Dundee, especially right at the end of a window - guessing he didn’t have long to go on his contract ?

1 year left on his contract

4 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Pleased for McCowan, looks like it’s a dream move for him and he’s clearly buzzing to join

Hurts to see him in a Celtic top. 

However, we knew it was coming and he goes with my best wishes. 

Top player and top man. 

Thank you. 

On 30/08/2024 at 15:54, gannonball said:

Agreed I have no idea why we have punted all our other 'holding' midfielders now in Lawal, Kwon and Iwata we need to protect Mcgregor and I think having him further forward in Europe at times would make us more solid all round. 

I also had no idea that's where Davies is now I had only relatively recently discovered he was with Ange at Tottenham.

Lawal played at centre half for the B team M8,I know he played in the middle in pre-season having that versatility that St Brendan didn't want is very strange to me plus can't believe Iwata is gone and the level hes now at,he is better than that all day long,fecking pals act.
Kwan didn't look fit when he played against Dundee maybe just needs game time.

2 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

Lawal played at centre half for the B team M8,I know he played in the middle in pre-season having that versatility that St Brendan didn't want is very strange to me plus can't believe Iwata is gone and the level hes now at,he is better than that all day long,fecking pals act.
Kwan didn't look fit when he played against Dundee maybe just needs game time.

I seen Lawal play once at centre back and he was far too rash. He's  played midfield for pretty much all of last season at Fleetwood which is where he got rave reviews and then the decent cash for him which followed. I'm not saying of the players gone are the answer but we still need more DM options.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I seen Lawal play once at centre back and he was far too rash. He's  played midfield for pretty much all of last season at Fleetwood which is where he got rave reviews and then the decent cash for him which followed. I'm not saying of the players gone are the answer but we still need more DM options.

I agree M8,the way it looks hes going with legs the bhoy Engels and McCowan will need to work plus Bernardo more of a box to box midfielder to help McGregor,when McGregor got injured O'Reily played in there would be interesting if that happened again who will do that job.

4 hours ago, willywastecoat said:

would be interesting if that happened again who will do that job

That's the question a lot of people are asking. I am sure Brendan has the answer. 

12 hours ago, Bacchus said:

That's the question a lot of people are asking. I am sure Brendan has the answer. 

The two players for every position has been addressed so the options are all there,domestic football should be fine in terms of the imbalance but teams in Europe, Celtic off the ball will need to be very careful with all the forward thinking players we have.
How we play, we win the ball back pretty quickly after losing it but we will simply be too open in Europe.
For me it will be Engels or Bernardo,Hatate or McCowan with no real replacement for McGregor, young Holm isn't ready yet IMO.

On 30/08/2024 at 14:52, Bacchus said:

I would keep Iwata

Birmingham pushing to sign Celtic's Iwata
Latest from Sky Sports News' Anthony Joseph:

Birmingham City are pushing to sign Celtic midfielder Tomoki Iwata before tonight’s transfer deadline.

Sky Sports News revealed this morning that the Hoops were open to offers for the 27-year-old Japan international.

Birmingham are managed by Brendan Rodgers’ former Celtic and Leicester assistant, Chris Davies.

I like him but wasn't fussed to see him go. His biggest flaw was getting caught in possession due to a lack of awareness.

Celtic brought in £10.59m more in the summer transfer market than they spent, Aberdeen made a profit of £2.67m, Motherwell were up £1.34m and Heart of Midlothian £1.01m, but Hibernian spent £438,460 more than they brought in, while Rangers' net spend was £11.71m. 

Am I reading this correctly Celtic bring in 7 quality players and make a profit of £10.59m while at the other end of the city they bring in duds and lose £11.71m

11 hours ago, Bacchus said:

Celtic brought in £10.59m more in the summer transfer market than they spent, Aberdeen made a profit of £2.67m, Motherwell were up £1.34m and Heart of Midlothian £1.01m, but Hibernian spent £438,460 more than they brought in, while Rangers' net spend was £11.71m. 

Am I reading this correctly Celtic bring in 7 quality players and make a profit of £10.59m while at the other end of the city they bring in duds and lose £11.71m

I'm sorry M8,I couldn't give two flying fecks about profit and loss,St Brendan the Elite manager that he is supposed to be, needs to improve this squad and results in Europe,if we get into the last 24 that's progress he has no excuses.
Watching Leverkusen v RB Leipzig on saturday night we need to play better than we did against sevco,RB Leipzig have everything sevco didn't have pace and power with Quality.

11 hours ago, willywastecoat said:

I'm sorry M8,I couldn't give two flying fecks about profit and loss,

We obviously see it from a different view. Many are of the same opinion as you. I remember the wilderness years  and recall 1994, Fergus McCann rescued a distressed and forsaken club from almost certain insolvency.

The board at this time had mismanaged and bankrupted the club This took Celtic to the brink of the unthinkable

During this time Liam Brady’s transfer spending helped to push Celtic’s overdraft up by more than £2 million, money Celtic did not have and increased the growing overdraft.

We are today because of Fergus and a board who will never get us back anywhere near that financial situation. Hence my interest in profit or loss. HH

It will be impossible for Brendan to do worse in Europe than Posteclueless so a definite improvement on that front for Celtic supporters to look forward to this season An unbeaten domestic treble and getting to the knockout stages of the Champions League i would wager.

1 hour ago, Bacchus said:

We obviously see it from a different view. Many are of the same opinion as you. I remember the wilderness years  and recall 1994, Fergus McCann rescued a distressed and forsaken club from almost certain insolvency.

The board at this time had mismanaged and bankrupted the club This took Celtic to the brink of the unthinkable

During this time Liam Brady’s transfer spending helped to push Celtic’s overdraft up by more than £2 million, money Celtic did not have and increased the growing overdraft.

We are today because of Fergus and a board who will never get us back anywhere near that financial situation. Hence my interest in profit or loss. HH

Peter Lawell isn’t going to shag you.

3 hours ago, stressball said:

Peter Lawell isn’t going to shag you.

I am pleased about that. 

You can agree with some fellow supporters all of the time, you can agree with all of the supporters some of the time, but you can't agree with all of the supporters all of the time.

To have an opinion is a wonderful thing, just because your opinion differs from mine does not mean we have to dislike each other. One club, one family many different opinions. HH

10 hours ago, Bacchus said:

I' ve got no interest in what happened 30 years ago,I'm only interested in the here and now M8,Celtic have 67 million in the bank plus the net spend in this transfer window,some Celtic fans will use that to beat the Celtic's board over the head with a stick and some will treat it like a fecking trophy.
Diversity is a good thing within our support M8,for me the emphasis on this has very little importance to where we are as a club.
Our house is in better nick than our garden,the 10 million we made could be used in Janurary with two games in Europe left but some Celtic fans will say why didn't we spend it now.lets be honest who fecking cares.
Did we buy Engels because we could or just to piss off big Phil again who fecking cares.
As a fan and supporter the emphasis should always be on the football the rest is just noise and pish off the park.

Edited by willywastecoat

38 minutes ago, willywastecoat said:

I' ve got no interest in what happened 30 years

My last words on the subject standard answer history helps Celtic understand how events in the past made us the way we are today. With lessons from the past, we not only learn about ourselves and how we came to be what we are, it also helps us develop the ability to avoid making the same mistakes and create a better path for our future.

To me history of Celtic is important. 

Thanks for all your relies. HH

1 hour ago, Bacchus said:

My last words on the subject standard answer history helps Celtic understand how events in the past made us the way we are today. With lessons from the past, we not only learn about ourselves and how we came to be what we are, it also helps us develop the ability to avoid making the same mistakes and create a better path for our future.

To me history of Celtic is important. 

Thanks for all your relies. HH

It's very easy to separate the two M8, in some ways the financial history hasn't changed that much you could say we still have a biscuit tin mentality with or without having dosh in the bank,like i said it's not as important or even on the same level as our footballing history and ethos of the club.
Football has become a brutal business off the park which is something that i've got no time for,on the park and where we are as a squad and team is the first priority,raising the bar and setting the standards.