Comfort zone of Scotland

13 hours ago, dogmc said:

Thought the cup final highlighted that very point. Can't believe that professional full time athletes ran out of gas after just over an hour....and that's an Aberdeen team who are said to have one of the better fitness and conditioning programmes in Scotland. The absolute bare minimum that full time pros should have is a proper level of fitness and stamina. Never mind being behind other countries, Scottish football is miles behind other sports when it comes to being open minded about sports science.

What happened in the cup final is by no means specific to Scottish football.  Almost any team that play a high intensity gameplan against a better quality opposition will tire themselves out after an hour or so.  You can even look at games like the 2014 Champions League final for a similar example - Atletico knocked their pan in for 70 minutes and then were holding on grimly at the end.  When it came to extra time, Real just ran over the top of them.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/07/2017 at 16:54, ICTChris said:

Several of our biggest clubs have had player revolts over managers increasing fitness training.  Of course, several of those managers were fairly useless but I think that's been used a stick to beat the idea of emphasising fitness.

Players saying this is a real pet hate of mine, and actually reveals a real problem with the Scottish mindset. Obviously a lot of the time it's said to stick the knife in to the previous manager, however there's no doubt that in Scotland a lot of players still see their own fitness as someone else's responsibility. If a player doesn't feel fit enough then he should be getting himself fitter to the level he feels he needs to be at. Why are they waiting on a manager to get them fitter? If you are an athlete then the most important thing is that you are physically at the standard required, and that is 100% their responsibility.

The comparison with Andy Murray is often brought up, but at the start of his career he wasn't fit enough. He took full responsibility and got himself in great shape. Top players in every other sport are the same. The lack of taking responsibility in this area is maybe an insight into the mindset of a lot of our players.

I share this with virtually no knowledge or opinion of the player or his history, just that I read it and thought of this thread: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/football-funnyman-simon-ferry-plays-10761733

“Have you ever tried dry toast? It’s like eating a shin guard.”

Just one of the Simon Ferry lines that ensures being in his company for half an hour can’t fail to make you laugh.

And it’s also why so many big-name footballers have all the time in the world for him.

Quite. Anyway...

Injuries definitely hindered him. But the real irony is that, as he reflects now, having a laugh and a carry-on probably curtailed his progress.

None more so than when Di Canio left Swindon in 2013. Ferry had idolised the Italian as a kid when he was at Celtic.

But when he turned up at the County Ground, Di Canio dubbed him FAT BOY after he had piled on the weight over the summer.

That’s where the dry toast comes in. And as he looks back on that spell of his career, it’s impossible not to smile.

Ferry said: “Di Canio is the craziest and the best I’ve ever worked with. His principles were lost on us at Swindon because we were bums in League One.

“He eats and breathes football – and he wanted us to do that.

“But that’s OK if you’re earning fortunes because you can live your life like that.

“Before he arrived, I’d put on so much weight. I was on my own down there, not playing, so I was out all the time.

“Over that summer, I didn’t care. I came back for pre-season weighing 90 kilos and Di Canio was our new gaffer.

“He lost the plot with me right away. He told me I could leave, he wasn’t interested. He used to call me fat boy all the time.

“But one day he just pulled me and said: ‘Right fat boy, you’re in tomorrow.’

“For 18 months it’s the best I’ve ever played in my career under Di Canio.

“After he left I got into my old habits. And four years later I’m sitting here with Peterhead playing part-time.”

A big part of the Di Canio regime was about diet, something Ferry wasn’t used to adhering to.

And after one particular friendly game he couldn’t help himself – much to the disgust of his manager.

He said: “He wouldn’t allow us ice in our water for a start. We weren’t allowed butter on our toast. You ever tried dry toast? It’s like eating a shin guard.

“We couldn’t have sauce with our pasta. It was hard but it did get the weight off us.

“We played a pre-season friendly against a non-league club and won 8-0 so Di Canio was buzzing.

“This wee club had put food on for us after the game and I was starving.

“There were big English sausages, greasy ones, with hundreds of chips. The boys who had been there for a year were asking: ‘Should we have it?’

“But the new guys in the squad were like: ‘Of course man, tuck in.’

“So I dug in, rammed about five of those sausages down my mouth.

“Di Canio came in and went mental. In front of a full room, he shouted: ‘Nooooooo!’ He told everyone to freeze and not touch another bite.

“He then ordered us all on to the bus. He stood up on the bus and asked who’d had the sausages and chips and everyone stayed silent. But I had tomato sauce all over my lips.

“Honestly, for the next week he just kept going on about English sausages.

“He’d say: ‘Lads, you can’t eat this. And as for mayonnaise, I wouldn’t feed that to the flies!’

“I was trying to keep a straight face. It was hard not to laugh sometimes.”

Even now at Peterhead, Ferry is still the life and soul of their dressing-room.

Deep down though, he knows he shouldn’t be there. He should be playing at a higher level.

But he still regards himself as lucky to have carved out a career for himself. He said: “I probably should have taken it more seriously. But I was too much up for a laugh.

“If there was a night out going, I’d never say no. Managers hate that.

“I always wanted to carry on, from an early age. But when you’re young, people like it.

“When you get into a first-team it’s a manager’s biggest nightmare. And when you’re the one who’s always joking around, you become easy to drop.

“It wouldn’t bother me that much being left out. If I was getting a laugh on the bench, I’d be alright.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

He may be a complete headcase, a fascist and a  shite manager but Di Canio was never unfit.

Agreed.

Ferry scoffed at Di Canio for suggesting that Mayonnaise and Ketchup and Sausages are unhealthy? From someone who has been in the food industry for a period, I can definitely say that these foods shouldn't be touched by an athlete. A tablespoon of mayo contains 80-100 calories and don't get me started on Ketchup. The low fat Mayonnaise is fine, though, in moderation.

Mayonnaise if the number one condiment in America. That says it all.

Quite an interesting interview that with Ferry. Allegedly we offered 5 million for Brown and Thomson to hibs back in the day, Hibs said they wanted Ferry thrown in as well but  Celtic rated him that highly they said he was not to be part of sny deal. He was out for about 2 seasons not long after that though.

England appears to still be behind other countries in terms of fitness and we still lag quite significantly behind them. It was interesting to hear him say about saying not getting paid enough to maintain that level of fitness. I think this is where lack of ambition comes in. Quite happy to take a wage and eat what they want, go through the motions at work/training and lead a life not much different to you and I.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Quite an interesting interview that with Ferry. Allegedly we offered 5 million for Brown and Thomson to hibs back in the day, Hibs said they wanted Ferry thrown in as well but  Celtic rated him that highly they said he was not to be part of sny deal. He was out for about 2 seasons not long after that though.

England appears to still be behind other countries in terms of fitness and we still lag quite significantly behind them. It was interesting to hear him say about saying not getting paid enough to maintain that level of fitness. I think this is where lack of ambition comes in. Quite happy to take a wage and eat what they want, go through the motions at work/training and lead a life not much different to you and I.

As someone said earlier in the thread I think there's a societal issue with fitness in Scotland, although that might be changing.

Scottish people do spend proportionally more on alcohol than people in England and Wales and I'd imagine the diet is often poorer as well.

I actually think we are better now technically than we have been for many a year. I agree with the above posters that our big problem is fitness. Old school training of running all the time is missing. If you are fit and have a small amount of ability you are much more use than someone with all the talent in the world but who is unfit. Stuart Armstong today stands out due to his superior fitness levels. He is technically competent with both feet, but its his ability to run all day that makes him the stand out. Too many of our players prefer fannying around with the ball rather than doing the ugly stuff no one likes which is what is required. We also seem to lack physicality. We seem to somehow have a group of neither nors. Neither fit nor strong but decent enough on the ball.

32 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

f**k me that was depressing to read.

Weird how it's a genuine societal norm for us to eat unhealthy food, hard to really get your head round how that develops

It's freezing here and chips warm you up.

3 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

f**k me that was depressing to read.

Weird how it's a genuine societal norm for us to eat unhealthy food, hard to really get your head round how that develops

For the populace it's an economical issue, cheap food is usually the worst for you.

As for athletes, it's more of an educational issue. There you are having Simon Ferry, a professional athlete, smirking and deriding his manager for declaring that ketchup and Mayonnaise and Sausages are bad for you. Football clubs should bring in nutritionists in order to educate the players. 

Recently Wayne Rooney was spotted in a McDonald's drive-thru with his son in tow. That's teetering on child abuse.

We are a poor country with poorly educated people brought up on Happy Meals. Not really trophy winning or athlete producing  fodder. Before fast food, mince and tatties were the norm and that was fine.

1 hour ago, woof! said:

We are a poor country with poorly educated people brought up on Happy Meals. Not really trophy winning or athlete producing  fodder. Before fast food, mince and tatties were the norm and that was fine.

A poor country? We aren't exactly a third world nation.

53 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

How's that wait coming along?

Oh, they've given me 24 in what, 9 days? I kinda want to be stalked by Kristen Stewart, instead of two, probably, obese boys, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

I'm sure one will be along shortly.

Ooooooh! The anticipation!

16 hours ago, SlayerX said:

A poor country? We aren't exactly a third world nation.

Compared with the rest of the UK and western Europe, Scotland is definitely a poor country. It shouldn't be, but that's another story.

Archived