Help Required - Project Scottish Footballs Tragic Tales

On 09/07/2017 at 13:48, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The main stand at Fir Park is now the Phil O'Donnel stand.

It famously doesn't run the full length of the pitch meaning that it like Phil is also tragically cut short.

d9ba533364dfc32d3f3838f77e6bc98f.jpg

Its wierd Ive looked at this stand loads of times but have never noticed the beam protruding out of it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/7/2017 at 22:53, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Patsy Gallagher was a great in days of yore - ended up throwing himself in front of a train I think.

Which brings us horribly to much more recent Falkirk related events.

I think you're mixing up your Gallachers here Ranaldo - Hughie Gallacher threw himself in front of an express train at Gateshead in 1957 after being summoned to court for a series of incidents. A smashing player by all accounts I've heard.

Patsy died in 1953 after becoming a pub landlord in Clydebank.

4 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I think you're mixing up your Gallachers here Ranaldo - Hughie Gallacher threw himself in front of an express train at Gateshead in 1957 after being summoned to court for a series of incidents. A smashing player by all accounts I've heard.

Aye is Kevin Gallacher not related to Patsy as well? Alot of people thought he would turn out for Celtic at some point due to him being related to the legend.

11 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Apologies all round, thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Aye is Kevin Gallacher not related to Patsy as well? Alot of people thought he would turn out for Celtic at some point due to him being related to the legend.

He is, he's Patsy's grandson. Patsy's two sons Tommy and Willie became footballers too, as did Patsy's other grandson Brian. Fitba's definitely in their genes!

21 hours ago, Meatwad said:

In one of Thistle's early matches at Firhill in December of 1909, James Main of Hibs accidentally collided with a Thistle player and died of internal injuries aged 23.

Jimmy Main got kicked in the stomach by a Partick player during a league game against Hibs, on Christmas Day in 1909, then died a few days later of a ruptured bowel. Willie Walker of Leith suffered a similar injury v Vale of Leven in 1907. Joshua Williamson was Dumbarton keeper and died from abdominal injuries received v Rangers in November 1921.

In addition to James Dunlop, the St Mirren player noted on the previous page died of tetanus after cutting himself on glass during a New Year derby v Abercorn in 1892, there have of course sadly been a number of deaths through head and stomach injuries and heart attacks over the years.

John Thomson the Celtic goalkeeper died after colliding with a Rangers player and fractured his skull during the derby in September 1931.

Bob Mercer of Hearts collapsed and died on the pitch during a friendly at Selkirk in 1926. It seems to have been a heart attack but he had been gassed during WWI and this was said to have contributed. James Keenan of Duns suffered a heart attack during an East of Scotland Cup SF against Leith in August 1937, and died en route to hospital. Then of course the recent case of Phil O'Donnell.

Picture of him on the previous page, but Adam Strachan who was at Partick. Terrific little player, but an absolute ned of the highest order. My boy went to school with him for a time, said he was a very good player, but let himself down massively by being a complete and utter ned. 
I think he was in Prison for a time on drug charges? 

The last I heard of him he was playing junior football with Irvine Meadow about 4-5 years ago, he actually played for them wearing a tag lol, I think he was hunted from them for being a knob soon after tbh.....

Chic Charnley. Don't wanna bad mouth him too much because he is a hero of mine, but he was a heidcase on n off the park. He was the best passer of the ball I'd ever seen. He could have went further but for nonsense. I think he got sent off 18/19 times

Charnley was fucking mental on the pitch as well. He managed to get sent off twice in the same season for elbowing Robbie Winters in the coupon. We drew the DABs in the Coca Cola cup the following season and properly forearm smashed the little c**t for a third time, but the ref didn't see it. Comical to see Chic calling him a diving b*****d while there were a couple of his teeth on the pitch [emoji38]

I also saw score a glorious hat trick at Forfar for Thistle. He was rumoured to be heading to Coventry for £1million, and having scored two early goals, he stood over a 40 yard free kick. After some jocular encourage from the away fans to "fuckin shoot", he smashed it in off the bar.

Some player, but absolutely fucking bonkers.

Archived