Wummin's Fitba'

Watched the horror show 6-0 last night.

Got me thinking.

If the wummin's team were dropped into the men's league set up, what league would you pitch them in and what position would they occupy based on last season's final standings, performance and quality.

Alternatively, what teams in the current league set up are on a par with the wummin?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highland league. They might have a higher skill level than a lot of our teams but the sheer difference in physicality would prove a difference. I mind not long after United's female side had been set up, they played a Sunday league team in a friendly, which largely comprised of youngsters, and the game finished 4-0 to the Sunday league side.

There is a massive difference in physicality which makes any comparison difficult. Even at amateur level the advantages at set pieces etc. would be huge.

I would put them at the level of our top U16/U17 sides.

Am I just a misogynistic old arse or is the amount of coverage for women's football on the BBC way out of proportion to the quality and popularity of the event?

Could be both, of course.

9 minutes ago, nsr said:

Am I just a misogynistic old arse or is the amount of coverage for women's football on the BBC way out of proportion to the quality and popularity of the event?

You are absolutely correct, of course. I'm all for inclusivity in sports participation, but don't expect me to watch it.

31 minutes ago, nsr said:

Their worst moment was when they led the website with big articles about Rachael Yankee(I think) becoming England's most capped international footballer, overtaking Shilton and Beckham. But when you have an agenda to follow anything goes really.

40 minutes ago, nsr said:

no - you're absolutely correct (again), but it's been identified as a potential cash-cow and as such, the bandwagon is going to ridden as hard and as fast as possible (leave it) with no regard whatsoever for the actual standard of football which is served up; there was an England game last year at Notts County - included the worst goalkeeping f**k-up ever, regardless of gender, and any bloke would have (rightly) been mercilessly pilloried and made the butt of all manner of piss-taking, but barely so much as a derisive snort in the direction of the culpable wench from the fawning media; witness also the crucifixion of the Northampton Town manager after making an entirely reasonable observation about the failings of his own team which was beyond laughable; those who participate cannot even have a sensible debate about how to refer to themselves without making the whole thing in to a whiny whinge-fest; it really seems to have been hijacked by those who want to bang the equality drum as loud as possible, and look for the slightest excuse to indulge in virtue-signalling and embark on some holier than thou crusade; the sooner we can go back to referring to it by its proper name of monkey-tennis and hoping that the pretty ones swap shirts after the game the better...

Entirely correct and watch them ramp it up as England progress. God help us if they win it. Knighthoods all round.

I'm sure at one point Julie Fleeting said it's comparable to u19 youth football at one point.

They are better sticking to Candy crush imo.

Woman's football is absolutely brutal. It's a shame anyone who dares question why it gets so much coverage gets called a "sexist pig" who "lives in the 80s".

On 20/07/2017 at 12:24, Ludo*1 said:

Highland league. They might have a higher skill level than a lot of our teams but the sheer difference in physicality would prove a difference. I mind not long after United's female side had been set up, they played a Sunday league team in a friendly, which largely comprised of youngsters, and the game finished 4-0 to the Sunday league side.

I don't think the skill level's all that high. If they played at the pace the men do, their skills would get shown up.

Having said that I enjoy watching the Scotland team, there's something about their togetherness and willingness to learn that sets them apart from the men. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 17:09, 7-2 said:

Their worst moment was when they led the website with big articles about Rachael Yankee(I think) becoming England's most capped international footballer, overtaking Shilton and Beckham. But when you have an agenda to follow anything goes really.

This. Indeed the next week there was a headline about Womens Football being the fastest-growing sport in the UK? You can't count it as the same sport one week, different the next.

In terms of coverage - the BBC is going to lavish coverage on it for the reasons given... It's also true to say that in England - mainly via it being small change to FA and to EPL clubs - they've managed to establish a professional league and since the Superleague began average crowds have grown from few hundred to 500... 600... 700... 1,000 and 1,100 last year.

However here the domestic top division is watched by 2 figure crowds, with some grounds little more than open parks. In that respect it's operating in the realms of amateur or of non-league.

Archived