Motherwell vs Rangers 6th August

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenny Millers shorts are the most annoying thing in Scottish Football.

I'm even more frustrated by that Tanner break now because at the time I didn't even notice Newell to his right, I was too busy screaming at him to play in Fisher to his left. Now that I see he had 2 options to have someone through on the keeper, im twice as annoyed.

He had a great game though, he'll cause a lot of problems for a lot of teams.

Disappointing and frustrating, so pretty much par for the course.

I thought we were pretty good, our players you'd regularly depend on in Moult and McHugh were pretty poor, but our new guys in Tanner, Kipre, and Fisher had good games. Shoutout for Heneghan as well who I thought was an incredible improvement on the end of his season last year. Both Bowman and Fisher were unlucky, Bowman had a very good shout for a penalty as well. Giggled a bit at Wilson being brought on to hold on against our might...

Fair fucks to Robinson as well, having a go is far more entertaining to watch than setting up not to lose.

Rangers are massively better in midfield with Dorrans and Jack over Holt and Halliday, and obviously Alves is a step up, but the rest look much of a muchness to last year. Miller and Herrera didn't offer much, and that Morelos, albeit for a few minutes, looked rotten. 

26 minutes ago, Tamdunk said:

Shouldn't be losing games like that. Could have easily won/drawn. Gonna be another long season.

If we lose Moult or he doesn't regain fitness and form and/or we don't sign another striker then it certainly will be another long season as we just don't have goals in us.

The one saving grace we can take from yesterday is that it was a game against Rangers and they can never be held up as a pointer to how our season will pan out. History tells us that no matter how good or bad a side we have we almost always lose out to piss poor Rangers sides and very often in the manner we did yesterday. It's the way it's been since Boxing Day 2002.

1 minute ago, MJC said:

If we lose Moult or he doesn't regain fitness and form and/or we don't sign another striker then it certainly will be another long season as we just don't have goals in us.

Robinson's been clear about us needing/wanting another striker in regardless of Moult's situation but in a sense it'll depend on who that is. He's been talking about us needing to add pace up front which is fine and I agree with him as even if he sticks around Moult isn't going to be burning anyone in a race even if he's at his sharpest but as you say we need an alternative for goals. McDonald chipped in with his share and I think there's a fair chance we'll see more of a spread of goals from this side than we did last season but it'd be nice if we had someone else there that would legitimately give other sides cause for concern and just take some of the weight off Moult.

I'd imagine it'll be Bowman who'd be making way, Wrexham fans have been linking him with them heavily over the past week and it makes sense if we are looking to move him on. He's scored a ton of goals at that level and it really isn't working out for him up here. We'd clearly like Moult to stay, Fisher's a Robinson signing and Blyth's injured and will probably be gone in January if not before so if we're looking to move someone on to bring someone in Bowman's probably most likely. Which is fine.

Robinson's been clear about us needing/wanting another striker in regardless of Moult's situation but in a sense it'll depend on who that is. He's been talking about us needing to add pace up front which is fine and I agree with him as even if he sticks around Moult isn't going to be burning anyone in a race even if he's at his sharpest but as you say we need an alternative for goals. McDonald chipped in with his share and I think there's a fair chance we'll see more of a spread of goals from this side than we did last season but it'd be nice if we had someone else there that would legitimately give other sides cause for concern and just take some of the weight off Moult.
I'd imagine it'll be Bowman who'd be making way, Wrexham fans have been linking him with them heavily over the past week and it makes sense if we are looking to move him on. He's scored a ton of goals at that level and it really isn't working out for him up here. We'd clearly like Moult to stay, Fisher's a Robinson signing and Blyth's injured and will probably be gone in January if not before so if we're looking to move someone on to bring someone in Bowman's probably most likely. Which is fine.

If rangers get the 1million that's rumoured to be the fee for Waghorn,that'll be over 1.5 million for him and Garner.
That's two strikers who were ineffectual in our top league.
I think we do quite well in regards to goalscorers when you think Moult,Sutton and Higdon weren't always a success at other clubs.
We've also scored in every game we've played and made chances so I'm not sure everything is as gloomy as the post you quoted made out.

I was impressed with the boy Kipre at the back for Motherwell yesterday.

I think most Motherwell fans have been as well.
He got caught in possession a couple of times yesterday but he seems comfortable on the ball and reads play well.

I was impressed with the boy Kipre at the back for Motherwell yesterday.

Indeed. Still only 21 I believe. Very raw, but looks to have bags of potential.

The Sun gave him 5/10 in their ratings (making him our worst player). Tells you all you need to know about that rag.

1 minute ago, mjw said:

I think most Motherwell fans have been as well.
He got caught in possession a couple of times yesterday but he seems comfortable on the ball and reads play well.

Just now, Desp said:

The Sun gave him 5/10 in their ratings (making him our worst player). Tells you all you need to know about that rag.

I thought he ended up getting dragged out to cover for the RB for a lot of the game.

5 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I thought he ended up getting dragged out to cover for the RB for a lot of the game.

Our set-up was funny, yesterday. The back three with Tait on the right really gave us problems as he was asked to cover both Wallace and Windass at times, which led to both looking excellent in the first half, and as you say Kipre having to step out to fill that space. Flip-side of that was that Frear was given the entire left hand side of the pitch to roam about in, so got a lot of joy one on one with Hodson and Candeias.

Second half we matched up with you in a 4-4-2 and Tait looked more solid and attacking with Cadden in front of him pinning back Wallace, but Frear was far less effective.

In short; Dunno. Dunno what's best.

He's definitely raw but I like the look of him. He's a no nonsense type defender and big and physical too, something we've not had in God knows how long.

29 minutes ago, Desp said:

He's actually only 20 which for a bit of context is a year younger than David Ferguson.

He's clearly an absolute unit and looks like he'd run through a brick wall but that kind of overshadows the fact that he seems to have a really good reading of the game, especially for someone of his age. There have been a few times where he's just seems to step in and snuff out threats before they've had a chance to develop.

He's good, and will go on to be great I feel. Fair enough he got caught in possession at the end of it, but I fair enjoyed him bouncing 4 Rangers players off him as if he was just out for a wee walk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 17:54, 54_and_counting said:

if you are truthful in that you are being honest and unbiased, and you dont think the elbow to the face was a penalty, then i suggest you take an interest in another sport, like lawn bowls or something along they lines

so tell us what "many" decisions made the result farcical?

The result was an obvious case of the Ref cacking it on the first game of the season. as for me taking an interest in bowls, that's a howler. Enjoy the rest of the season because I am.

Archived