Forfar v Airdrie

This is a match that both will fancy as both have been dubbed as the whipping boys by many.

Vital that Forfar get off to a winning start, especially at home. I get the feeling that win bonuses are gonna be hard to come by. 

McCallum

Bain      Mensing      Travis      Malone

Cox       Millar     Easton    Scott

Lister     Aitken 

That will probably be the starting 11. 

Verdict: 1-1 (Travis)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have it as a 1-1 draw. Your line up is well known to most of us at Airdrie and it will be interesting to see how Lister/Cox rummel up our young defence? If Ryan is still with us he will give Mensing a hard shift. Our midfield looks lightweight but I look forward to the effort from our young squad. It could tell us a lot about the season ahead.

I know Lister's 36 now, but you'd fance him to bully our defence pretty much all day.  Cox is also a rather, er, physical player and you'd fance him to get the better of most of our guys, who are mostly young and seem a bit lightweight.  That's if he doesn't get a stupid red card, of course, which is usually a good bet.  At the other end, if Ryan gets the chance to run at Mensing, he'll have him on toast.  I certainly don't see this one finishing 0-0, that's for sure.

As anyone who saw any of my predictions last season will know, what follows in the next couple of lines will bear no resemblance to Saturday whatsoever. (Apart from the 50/50 draw prediction which has been close)

I like @WetWullie's team line up but I fear GB will revert to type and drop Aitken and Scott. In favour of See and McBride.

Light shower early in the second half, £312 50/50 to be won by someone in hospitality.

3-2 to the home team with a late winner coming off Oussie's back side.

22 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

As anyone who saw any of my predictions last season will know, what follows in the next couple of lines will bear no resemblance to Saturday whatsoever. (Apart from the 50/50 draw prediction which has been close)

I like @WetWullie's team line up but I fear GB will revert to type and drop Aitken and Scott. In favour of See and McBride.

Light shower early in the second half, £312 50/50 to be won by someone in hospitality.

3-2 to the home team with a late winner coming off Oussie's back side.

You have a point Sir. Normally a manager feels the need to persevere with his own signings. It's a stubborn trait that they all have. 

Scott doesn't deserve to be dropped, and See and McBride don't deserve to start. Imo of course!

3 hours ago, Wet Wullie said:

You have a point Sir. Normally a manager feels the need to persevere with his own signings. It's a stubborn trait that they all have. 

Scott doesn't deserve to be dropped, and See and McBride don't deserve to start. Imo of course!

To be fair, apart from being impressed by almost all of GB's signings, I believe all our current squad have been signed by or re-signed by Bollan.

20 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Would Bollan still sooner gouge his own eyes out with a spoon than make a substitution before the 88th minute? 

Still has the odd moment or two but generally has mellowed on that approach and will use subbies earlier.  We have other things to moan about though, so it's all good.

Gary Bollan's Forfar will be a tough nut to crack no doubt, with a few familiar faces (Jimmy Lister :wub:). There's no reason why we can't get a result here on the basis of our Betfred Cup performances.

I'd go:

Rohan

McIntosh - Cairns - Brownlie - McDonald

Stewart - Higgins - Conroy

Louden - Ryan - Russell

I may be mistaken, but I think that McIntosh is suspended for this game because of points accumulated by the end of last season. 

Edit:  Yes, just checked the SPFL site, "13/05/2017   SEAN PAUL MCINTOSH (AIRDRIEONIANS F.C.) 1 SPFL FIRST TEAM MATCH FROM 27/05/2017"

Rohan

McIntosh - Cairns - Brownlie - McDonald

Stewart - Higgins - Conroy

Louden - Ryan - Russell

As he is probably suspended I think Higgins will play RB, Brown(!) will be on the left of a flexible 5 of Loudon/Stewart/McLaughlin/Conroy/Brown and if he is still here Ryan . Russell on bench for first half till we see what is developing. But then again where is Gorman? And of course I am not a manager and as yet we don't have one? Heard GD talking on Clyde last night about the games he will be at over weekend and I don't think it was in Angus. It will be interesting to see how much stick GB gets from his fans?

2 minutes ago, victormeldrew said:

Let's hope St Mirren come up with the 30K and Andy Ryan is transferred before Saturday. I'm already having nightmares about him sprinting past Simon Mensing.

It's not so much Mensing's sprinting you need to worry about, milk turns quicker.   The book was out on him last season.

23 minutes ago, victormeldrew said:

Let's hope St Mirren come up with the 30K and Andy Ryan is transferred before Saturday. I'm already having nightmares about him sprinting past Simon Mensing.

As long as Bollan doesn't persist with having Munro as his partner and Travis at right back. Travis in the centre should at least be better placed to deal with Ryan pace wise.

No disrespect to Forfar but some of our fans think of the likes of David Cox, Jamie Bain and Grant Adam are akin to the Galacticos. For that reason, I hope we pump you rotten on Saturday. (Cue the absolute scenes on the Airdrie Facebook page when Forfar win 3 - 0). 

Archived