Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

Just now, pandarilla said:

You're massively under playing the positives.

That Wales team last year will go down in folklore. Actual footballing legends, and that's more than anything you can get at a club.

There's a status to being an international, and it'll help their contracts in the future.

I also didn't say they didn't want it. I'm sure they do, and I'm sure they're committed. But you said 'enthused'. And that for me is something different.

It's like at a club. Some players really buy into a club and some are very much journeymen.

I think there's still something special about international football. A certain buzz about representing your country.

So the players are fully committed to playing for Scotland but aren't enthusiastic about playing for Scotland? I'm sorry but I fail to see how that could possibly manifest itself. Surely if they're fully committed then they're giving their all on the pitch?

That Wales team with various English born players in it? Funny that it's only the Englishmen who have chosen to play for Scotland that have this "they don't care" label thrown at them.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the players are fully committed to playing for Scotland but aren't enthusiastic about playing for Scotland? I'm sorry but I fail to see how that could possibly manifest itself. Surely if they're fully committed then they're giving their all on the pitch?
That Wales team with various English born players in it? Funny that it's only the Englishmen who have chosen to play for Scotland that have this "they don't care" label thrown at them.

Stop putting words in my mouth and try to have a reasonable conversation.

I've explained that I think they will be entirely committed and professional. I also think they're clearly sometimes better than we have (hence helping Wales do so well, it's the same for every country).

I just think we have to protect the integrity of international football. I think rules should be tightened.

Just now, pandarilla said:

Stop putting words in my mouth and try to have a reasonable conversation.

I've explained that I think they will be entirely committed and professional. I also think they're clearly sometimes better than we have (hence helping Wales do so well, it's the same for every country).

I just think we have to protect the integrity of international football. I think rules should be tightened.

I don't think I've said anything unreasonable and I haven't put any words in your mouth. You think the players are better than what we have and when they play for Scotland they are professional and committed but not enthusiastic. I fail to see how you can say that when all you get to see is them being committed and professional on the pitch.

Integrity in football was sold long ago.

Callum Hendry was in the papers a few days ago saying he's desperate to play for Scotland and he dreams of it.

He was born in England.

Theres multiple players born in Scotland who couldn't give a f**k about the national team.

Callum Hendry was in the papers a few days ago saying he's desperate to play for Scotland and he dreams of it.

He was born in England.

Theres multiple players born in Scotland who couldn't give a f**k about the national team.

Did you expect him to say he wasn't that fussed?

I don't think I've said anything unreasonable and I haven't put any words in your mouth. You think the players are better than what we have and when they play for Scotland they are professional and committed but not enthusiastic. I fail to see how you can say that when all you get to see is them being committed and professional on the pitch.
Integrity in football was sold long ago.

A lot of the integrity has been sold in football...but not all. Not yet.

Like I said, I see both sides of this argument.

Uninspiring squad with the same useless daddies still getting picked with younger players being overlooked. The McGregor omission is sackable in my opinion. 

I still play the pissed up Tartan Army over in Faro for this. 

Guest DAVIDB69

I think what is bad not only the many time failures , how many failed campaigns has Darren fletcher been part must be seven or eight now.

However the squad is riddled with people playing no club football , must be six or seven of those at least .

Does he still promise caps to players gametime as he said before to help them as they aren't playing for their club

Uninspiring squad with the same useless daddies still getting picked with younger players being overlooked. The McGregor omission is sackable in my opinion. 

Sackable offence?

Have a word with yourself.

24 minutes ago, mojito said:

The McGregor omission is sackable in my opinion. 

IF....McGregor had a point to prove tonight then he failed.  I like him and if he continues to progress his time will come sooner rather than later.

IF....McGregor had a point to prove tonight then he failed.  I like him and if he continues to progress his time will come sooner rather than later.

Agreed, he was to blame for several moments of Astana's joy tonight.
Equally with Christie (just watching the Sportscene highlights from the weekend just now) - quality player but not reliable enough right now.
Can see both stepping up by the end of the season though.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Sackable offence?

Have a word with yourself.

A bit facetious, however Strachans defence of the omission was weak. We continually go on about having players play at the highest level but overlook a player playing at the top, who is also bang in form.

1 hour ago, The_Judge said:

Didn't see the game tonight but surely his inclusion should be based on his form through the end of last season and the start to this one.

On the face of it, I don't get the decision either. But we have to remember that we're not party to every conversation and every consideration.

Rodgers might have had a word for some reason. Maybe there's a niggle that needs rest (I know you'd expect that to come out in the open but maybe not).

Who knows? It certainly looks like a weird one but he wouldn't start the games anyway.

Mcgregor will hopefully continue playing well and we'll have him in the next squad.

Yep, the reason for McGregor being left out pissed me off more than him actually being left out.  Strachan can't say he needs to pick players playing at the highest level and then pick an English Championship player over a Scottish Premiership player who will more than likely be a part of at least 6 Champions League games.  Strachan's all over the shop sometimes.

Brendan Rodgers has come out and said 'what else does McGregor have to do to get a call up?'

Yep, the reason for McGregor being left out pissed me off more than him actually being left out.  Strachan can't say he needs to pick players playing at the highest level and then pick an English Championship player over a Scottish Premiership player who will more than likely be a part of at least 6 Champions League games.  Strachan's all over the shop sometimes.
Brendan Rodgers has come out and said 'what else does McGregor have to do to get a call up?'

Has he? I didn't know that (I usually avoid the squad announcement and the reaction to it.)

I'd have hoped Strachan would have a much better relationship with Rodgers. He's basically borrowing his team these days - so probably wise to keep him sweet.

Ah well. Results will be the key now (as is always the case). If he doesn't take it to the last game he has to go immediately. Clear failure.

If he takes it to the last game and we don't make it then I still think he'll have to go - but it'll have been a helluva good run considering the start to the campaign (and I know that arguably makes it more frustrating but you can't go back and change things).

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Has he? I didn't know that (I usually avoid the squad announcement and the reaction to it.)

I'd have hoped Strachan would have a much better relationship with Rodgers. He's basically borrowing his team these days - so probably wise to keep him sweet.

Ah well. Results will be the key now (as is always the case). If he doesn't take it to the last game he has to go immediately. Clear failure.

If he takes it to the last game and we don't make it then I still think he'll have to go - but it'll have been a helluva good run considering the start to the campaign (and I know that arguably makes it more frustrating but you can't go back and change things).

Yeah Ian 'Darkie' Darke mentioned it during the game last night, then Hartson was gurning about it too.  For what it's worth, I think Scotland will win both games.

Yeah Ian 'Darkie' Darke mentioned it during the game last night, then Hartson was gurning about it too.  For what it's worth, I think Scotland will win both games.

Me too.

We've got to win one of these nasty away trips to eastern Europe at some stage. Just based on the balance of probability.

Then it's a scramble for tickets for the home game against Slovakia. That could be some atmosphere if all goes to plan.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

If they don't win in Lithuania, there'll be about twelve folk at the Malta game.

13 hours ago, mojito said:

"The McGregor omission is sackable in my opinion."

I think someone is getting a bit ahead of themselves and for that... 

i-am-monitoring-this-thread-ainsley-harriott-Lqknf2.jpg

If they don't win in Lithuania, there'll be about twelve folk at the Malta game.

Got my ticket this morning and there's plenty of spare seats, even in the North Stand. You may be being optimistic.

Archived