Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

If Strachan hadn't shoehorned Matt Ritchie into a winning team last campaign I'm fairly sure we'd have qualified.   
There's no point continuing to play players if it doesn't work.   The three notables from this squad are Grant Hanley, Matt Ritchie, and Chris Martin.   

Ritchie has had some good games for Scotland and 3 goals in 13 games is not bad including the one against Poland which was a great goal. He didn't play against Georgia away and was a late Sub the Germany home game. Martin has been a good impact sub the last few games scored against Slovenia won the free kick for the second first goal against England. Get the point with Hanley as he hasn't played but if he was playing regularly he would still be in the squad as we have a real lack of talent at centre back

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gordon

Tierney
Berra
Mulgrew
Robertson

Brown
Fletcher

Armstrong
Fraser
Forrest

Griffiths

Not a James forrest fan but looks much better this season with an end product plus Snodgrass not match fit and looked out of shape last season when he was getting a game. Also watching stoke the first tow games Darren Fletcher looks much brighter this season - between him and MacArthur for alongside brown in the middle. Difficult between Cairney and Armstrong as Armstrong a bit of form but have went for Armstrong in the end

1 hour ago, skippy2015 said:

Ritchie has had some good games for Scotland and 3 goals in 13 games is not bad including the one against Poland which was a great goal. He didn't play against Georgia away and was a late Sub the Germany home game. Martin has been a good impact sub the last few games scored against Slovenia won the free kick for the second first goal against England. Get the point with Hanley as he hasn't played but if he was playing regularly he would still be in the squad as we have a real lack of talent at centre back

You're putting forward the same argument that makes Savage Henry such a laughing stock.    

Care to put forward the games which Ritchie has cost us points.   

Exactly.  

You're putting forward the same argument that makes Savage Henry such a laughing stock.    
Care to put forward the games which Ritchie has cost us points.   
Exactly.  

There are no games where Ritchie has cost us the points- u obviously don't go to the games and judge performances on the the sun and daily records star ratings- probably Newcastle's most consistent performer last season. Not saying he is a shoe in for the starting 11 but to say he's cost us points and shouldn't be in the squad is crazy.

Just now, skippy2015 said:

There are no games where Ritchie has cost us the points- u obviously don't go to the games and judge performances on the the sun and daily records star ratings- probably Newcastle's most consistent performer last season. Not saying he is a shoe in for the starting 11 but to say he's cost us points and shouldn't be in the squad is crazy.

I have 5.   

Let's start with Poland at home and Ireland away.   I've explained why his wonderful strike helped us against Poland.   Since you go to games - and I don't - as per your claim, this should be obvious.   One suspects the obvious might be a first hurdle failure for you.   

Can you outline why Ritchie didn't cost us points against Poland and Ireland.   Please include all key incidents.   

Also surprised Barrie Mckay is not included he has started well at forest scoring twice i think.

The Forrest game I watched he seemed less greedy than at Rangers and more of a team player, looked like a player with genuine potential, chances are though he could just have a Johnny Russell type career.

? Can Aberdeen or Celtic or St Johnstone players be that much worse than guys playing for Norwich and Derby and Wednesday? It's worth remembering that the standard in the Championship is average at best. 

Not quite, from the games I've watched there generally are better standard of football.

Lol are you a Sunderland fan? I better check your previous posts to check you aren't tipping Donald love for a call up...... where do I start poland home- lewondowskis opener- 2 centre backs Hanley / Martin to blame - lewondowskis 2nd was horribly defended as well - are u blaming Ritchie for the whole result due to giving away the free kick that led to the goal? Lol typical Scotland fan let's blame the person that gave away the free kick and not the abject poor defending at both goals. You probably blame Chris Martin for the entire England defeat. Ireland away I can't really remember from what I remember there goal was offside . Ps Ireland plus Poland = 1 + 1 = 2 ...... not 5

I know ur probably searching Wikipedia as we speak but look the daily mail britains most reliable and credible newspaper has Ritchie as Scotland man of the match against Poland [emoji23]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3265449/Scotland-2-2-Poland-Robert-Lewandowski-s-late-equaliser-ends-Gordon-Strachan-s-hopes-qualifying-Euro-2016.html

Surprised John McGinn is only now coming onto everyone's radar after a Celtic player has been omitted. Strachan picked him continuously whilst playing in the league below which was worse. Perhaps like Forrest he might end up playing well in three years time and eventually justify being selected whilst those in current form are kept on the sidelines. 

This would be Barry Bannan who possesses more skills and vision than Callum McGregor?    
Bannan who was in the Championship team of the season?  
Bannan who has won motm in the opening two games for Shef Wed?  
Bannan who's proven he's good enough for Scotland.   

McGregor should be in the squad, but Bannan is a gem.   

???????? seriously?

11 hours ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

If Strachan hadn't shoehorned Matt Ritchie into a winning team last campaign I'm fairly sure we'd have qualified.   

There's no point continuing to play players if it doesn't work.   The three notables from this squad are Grant Hanley, Matt Ritchie, and Chris Martin.   

I totally agree about Ritchie, who was parachuted into the side out the blue when we were winning and playing well with Naismith, Maloney and Anya playing off Fletcher. He's too slow and reliant on coming inside to play wide in Scotland's 4-2-3-1 system (so is Snodgrass, incidentally).

I'd have him at number 10 in the upcoming matches, though. Snodgrass hasn't played this season and to be fair has been pretty brutal nonetheless any time he's played recently. 

I'd also have five at the back against Lithuania. It gets the best from Robertson, solves the right-back issue by getting Anya there, and lets Tierney into the middle to mop up after whatever diddies he's saddled with. Probably not required against Malta but that game is irrelevant unless we win first in Lithuania. 

Looking forward to Fraser and Phillips sitting on the bench watching a masterclass on the flanks from Forrest, Snodgrass or Naismith, right enough. 

3 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Surprised John McGinn is only now coming onto everyone's radar after a Celtic player has been omitted. Strachan picked him continuously whilst playing in the league below which was worse. Perhaps like Forrest he might end up playing well in three years time and eventually justify being selected whilst those in current form are kept on the sidelines. 

To be fair, the complaints about McGinn are a continuation from all those squads which had the added support of him playing in the first.  He's manifestly not good enough for even this Scotland midfield.  His selection over McGregor is one of the few legitimate complaints about the content of the squad.  James Forrest starting would be another, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Seems to be a goalkeeper thing mate, Antti Niemi could never get a look in either.

He's finished mate.

LOL not sure what the fuss is about really, this is the c**t that is Gordon Strachan, nothing ever shocks me anymore with that shower.

The thought of him being sacked/walking away in 2 months time when, not if, WHEN, we fail to even finish 3rd in the Group is what is keeping me positive however we all know that Strachan's lovers in the media and the idiots in the Tartan Army who will sing his name when we win a pointless final qualifier will likely ensure we are stuck with the dinosaur for another failed campaign.

Archived