Tellys

ftk

9 hours ago, Empty It said:

Looking at buying a new TV just curious as to the features everyone looks put for really.

Been looking at this

https://ao.com/product/65pus7805-philips-tv-grey-76093-108.aspx

Would this be good enough to run one of the next gen consoles with decent graphics?

Anything that would put you off this TV? had Philips TVs before with no problems but that doesn't mean quality has dropped over the years like alot of brands.

I dont believe Philips is actually Philips anymore when it comes to TVs.

Personally, I wouldnt buy that one as it has a weird operating system on it that seems to be pretty poor for apps. Nowhere says what they input lag is, which usually means its pretty high, and so wont be great for gaming. 50Hz isnt great either.

This site will give you a few pointers on what to look for in a TV for gaming on next gen consoles. Unfortunately, the recommendations are a bit more expensive than that Philips tv unless you're prepared to drop the screen size

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/best-gaming-tvs

TV guy told me that the company Finlux make most of the brand televisions these days and that inside they're pretty much the same bar the design and logo. Not a massive shocker but if you're wanting a quality, cheap TV then Finlux is obviously where it's at.

TV guy told me that the company Finlux make most of the brand televisions these days and that inside they're pretty much the same bar the design and logo. Not a massive shocker but if you're wanting a quality, cheap TV then Finlux is obviously where it's at.
Used to be Vestel made most of the panels for the cheaper tvs and even the cheaper end of the big brands like Panasonic.

• 4 weeks later...

Any TV brands you'd definitely avoid? Thought Panasonic was ok but it's a bit rubbish for apps, Samsung sounds better. Some bargains going with JVC at the moment. Waiting for the sales so want to be ready to pounce, just looking for a 35-40 inch.

On 13/12/2020 at 16:33, welshbairn said:

Any TV brands you'd definitely avoid? Thought Panasonic was ok but it's a bit rubbish for apps, Samsung sounds better. Some bargains going with JVC at the moment. Waiting for the sales so want to be ready to pounce, just looking for a 35-40 inch.

If the apps are important and you're only looking for that kind of size then you probably want to look for anything with Android TV OS. An alternative would be LGs WebOS. Its not quite as slick as Android TV but its good enough and LG TVs tend to be reasonably priced for the quality.

Avoid Tizen OS

37 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If the apps are important and you're only looking for that kind of size then you probably want to look for anything with Android TV OS. An alternative would be LGs WebOS. Its not quite as slick as Android TV but its good enough and LG TVs tend to be reasonably priced for the quality.

Avoid Tizen OS

Would Android work ok with SkyQ?

20 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Not sure I understand the question. You mean can you plug a Sky Q box into a TV that runs Android TV OS? Or are you talkign about the Sky Q app on the TV?

The answer to the first one is yes. Not sure about the second one

I'm not sure either tbh, just got Q yesterday and still finding my way around it. I think I mean the first one, so that's fine. My Panasonic TV for the main room has a rubbish collection of apps and doesn't let you download ones it doesn't have in its library, which is empty anyway. Looking for a smaller one for my bedroom and don't want to make the same mistake again. What's wrong with Tizen?

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not sure either tbh, just got Q yesterday and still finding my way around it. I think I mean the first one, so that's fine. My Panasonic TV for the main room has a rubbish collection of apps and doesn't let you download ones it doesn't have in its library, which is empty anyway. Looking for a smaller one for my bedroom and don't want to make the same mistake again. What's wrong with Tizen?

The Sky Q box will plug into any tv with and HDMI socket.

Your panasonic tv has its own OS apparently, which is awful!

Tizen used to be rubbish. Apparently its got a lot better so if you're buying a newer model of TV it might be fine

I recently bought a Toshiba TV and, whilst the picture etc is good it is incredibly glitchy. The youtube app sometimes doesn't work, sometimes when I go to HDMI from TV there is a small 1cm band of static along the bottom of the screen. Also for whatever reason when I "exit" the Netflix app, if I push the button on the app again it just opens up the same screen I had open, I'm not convinced it ever actually shuts the app down ever. None of it's a big deal but I'd probably spend the extra on a Samsung next time. I think I read Toshiba signed some sort of deal to move their manufacturing for Europe to Turkey a few years ago which was the beginning of these sort of issues. 

Noticed that the main retailers have identical prices for the sales so just went ahead and bought this one from John Lewis, Currys and Argos had sold out.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue43tu7100-2020-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-inch-with-tvplus-silver/p4929566

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Noticed that the main retailers have identical prices for the sales so just went ahead and bought this one from John Lewis, Currys and Argos had sold out.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue43tu7100-2020-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-inch-with-tvplus-silver/p4929566

John Lewis give out 5 year guarantees, so theyre a good place to buy from if the price is right ... if any retailer actually lasts 5 years of course :( 

Coincidentally, a friend of mine who is also looking for a new TV, mentioned the exact same model the other day

5 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

Just ordered this 70" Samsung for £599, seems like a great deal.

https://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Products/Television/LED-TV/SAMSUNG/UE70TU7100

Only down point is only two hdmi ports but that's not a huge issue to me. What's is folk's opinion on it?

Looks a good deal, £100-150 cheaper than elsewhere, if you remember to claim the discount. I had a good look through the reviews of different brands and Samsung seemed the most consistently good for lower end prices.