Non/Low alcohol beers and lagers

Erdinger is by far the best. It actually tastes like beer. When my wife was pregnant she bought quite a few and I tried most of them and Erdinger was the only one that I thought was nice enough I would considering drinking it over something like coke or Irn Bru.

Surprised by the Becks Blue recommendations, thought it was horrendous. Very metallic.

Disagree with the Erdinger. I think it's awful, Paulner is the best I think

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Was in the pub today before the game and had 2 Becks Blue and they actually were okay. They tasted better than what I remembered Becks tasting.

Had a look in Asda and they only had Bavaria but will give Tesco a look.

Is it only the alcohol that will kill you, what about the rest of the shite they put in it?

24 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is it only the alcohol that will kill you, what about the rest of the shite they put in it?

5 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

With the way my liver is it's the alcohol that will kill me.

IT was the addictive effect the alcohol had on me, my insides and, amazingly my liver, are fine!

Germans do them reasonably well but they're pointless. Just drink a soft drink instead of booze-free booze

This is fine but as someone stated earlier there is no way you could go on nights out and drink soft drinks all night. I love an irn bru but I couldn't down 10 of them on a night out.

I know a guy who alternates between pints and soft drinks on nights out but unfortunately due to my relationship with alcohol I can't do that.

Think I might just need to sit in the house like a right boring b*****d.

I thought that when I stopped drinking but ive found is that I'll probably go home earlier when the drinkers start to talk pish and repeat themselves.

3 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

This is fine but as someone stated earlier there is no way you could go on nights out and drink soft drinks all night. I love an irn bru but I couldn't down 10 of them on a night out.

I know a guy who alternates between pints and soft drinks on nights out but unfortunately due to my relationship with alcohol I can't do that.

I'd rather go out and stay sober than stay home.

If I need to drive but I've got a night out to go to then I'll drink pints of soda and lime or soda and blackcurrent. If I'm meeting friends early before a gig then I'll maybe have 1 around 6:30 because by the time I'm driving home at 10:30 it's out my system.

But often I don't even bother with 1.

If its a choice between going to a gig knowing that I need to stay sober or missing out because I can't have a beer? It's a no brainer. I'll go to the gig and stay sober.

I'd rather go out and stay sober than stay home.
If I need to drive but I've got a night out to go to then I'll drink pints of soda and lime or soda and blackcurrent. If I'm meeting friends early before a gig then I'll maybe have 1 around 6:30 because by the time I'm driving home at 10:30 it's out my system.
But often I don't even bother with 1.
If its a choice between going to a gig knowing that I need to stay sober or missing out because I can't have a beer? It's a no brainer. I'll go to the gig and stay sober.

I agree with this and I just need to change my mentality and that of the folk I go about with.

It will be difficult though as a 30 year habit won't be easy to break.

I agree with this and I just need to change my mentality and that of the folk I go about with.

This is probably another thread altogether but if you think you have a problem then the people you drink with shouldn't be an issue if you try to change.
If they are mates that is.

30 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Sorry to be blunt, but you may want to consider whether you are talking about a habit or an addiction.  If the latter, you may wish to access local support services.  Further- depending on how much you normally drink, going 'cold turkey' might not be a good idea.  I'm sure you've thought this through though.

Just now, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Sorry to be blunt, but you may want to consider whether you are talking about a habit or an addiction.  If the latter, you may wish to access local support services.  Further- depending on how much you normally drink, going 'cold turkey' might not be a good idea.  I'm sure you've thought this through though.

Of course he has, and where better to get advice on moving forward than the conglomerate of alkies and virgins on here.

I was dead against alcohol free beers for ages, mainly because the ones that I tried years ago were dreadful. I usually only drink on a Saturday at the football, recently I've started to work some Sundays, so, yesterday for example, I was alternating between having a "real" beer, then a non-alcoholic beer. They've come a long way in the last few years, and I agree, it feels a bit more like a night out than standing with a coke, you don't get that same feeling of being left out when your pal has a pint.

Of the ones I've tried, Furstenberg, Erdinger and Heineken are decent, the San Miguel is not so good, Tennent's Hee Haw is surprisingly good (because I'm not a Tennent's fan) but I reckon the best 2 are Brew Dog's Nanny State and Innes and None. I think they would probably trick me in a taste test. 

Archived