Line up v Malta.

Pearbuyerbell

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Hopefully Slovenia will have nothing to play for by then

If things go the way we hope in our & Slovakia's next two games, then I believe we need Slovenia to pick up a maximum of two points out of Lithuania (H) and England (A) for them to be mathematically out of it going into the last game.

Somebody else might want to double check this though.

It's still a long shot but I've not given up yet.

If things go the way we hope in our & Slovakia's next two games, then I believe we need Slovenia to pick up a maximum of two points out of Lithuania (H) and England (A) for them to be mathematically out of it going into the last game.
Somebody else might want to double check this though.
It's still a long shot but I've not given up yet.

Think so - can't see Lithuania getting anything from them though unfortunately.

If WGS sticks with the younger pacey attack I think we will win our last 3,  the Slovaks at home will be tasty and that game is the 1 I fear strachan will bottle it with his team selection and set up to try and contain them and sneak a 1 nil win which we all know is doom for us.

If WGS sticks with the younger pacey attack I think we will win our last 3,  the Slovaks at home will be tasty and that game is the 1 I fear strachan will bottle it with his team selection and set up to try and contain them and sneak a 1 nil win which we all know is doom for us.

It's been said already but it's still very unlikely that we'll win all three.

But if you look back you'd have got quite good odds on us getting 7 points out of our last 9 (Slovenia, England, Lithuania away).

Let's take care of Malta, presuming England don't f**k us over, and we'll have a cracking home tie to prepare for.

Something like: 

Gordon

Tierney Berra Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Armstrong

Phillips Ritchie Fraser

Griffiths

Although the central defence didn't look infallible against Lithuania, I would be reluctant to change it after keeping a clean sheet and with no obvious upgrades at our disposal. I thought Forrest offered the least of our attacking players on Friday, so I'd be happy for him to be replaced by Fraser. Perhaps harsh to drop McArthur after scoring, but it would allow Armstrong to be deployed slightly deeper and for Ritchie to start in the front four. 

It might not be the most ridiculous suggestion to start Martin alongside grif tomorrow.

He's a big presence and can sniff out a goal in and around the box.

Not for me - offers absolutely nothing in terms of movement to unsettle a rigid defence.

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Scotland will be unchanged, surely? I'm no fan of Forrest, but the team played pretty well, and it'd be fair enough to give them all another start.

Hate to change a winning team but don't see the point in playing a guy who's main attribute is speed against a defence that will be sitting deep from the start.      Not getting into the Forrest debate but I just don't see what he possibly has to offer in this particular game

Not for me - offers absolutely nothing in terms of movement to unsettle a rigid defence.

He's a big presence when balls are played into the box. He's not mobile but in this game we don't really need mobile.

We need chance creators and goal scorers.

I'm happy to trust the manager though, but I'd love to see him play a part at some point and do well. The grief he gets is over the top and his not his fault the manager keeps picking him. It was brilliant that he scored the goal that made this whole run possible (as unexpected as it was).

On 01/09/2017 at 23:25, Pearbuyerbell said:

No, Idiots like Savage Henry tried this a while back.   You probably like the line up v Lithuania at home,  it didn't work and has never worked.    

Deal with it.  

Even though Forrest was s**te. Away and buy yer f**king pears, idiot.

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Something like: 

Gordon

Tierney Berra Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Armstrong

Phillips Ritchie Fraser

Griffiths

Although the central defence didn't look infallible against Lithuania, I would be reluctant to change it after keeping a clean sheet and with no obvious upgrades at our disposal. I thought Forrest offered the least of our attacking players on Friday, so I'd be happy for him to be replaced by Fraser. Perhaps harsh to drop McArthur after scoring, but it would allow Armstrong to be deployed slightly deeper and for Ritchie to start in the front four. 

Drop McArthur for Matt Ritchie?

You cannot be serious.

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Drop McArthur for Matt Ritchie?

You cannot be serious.

I generally prefer Armstrong in a slightly deeper role, especially against opponents that are more likely to sit in. I quite like Ritchie; he perhaps doesn't have the pace to be our best option out wide, but I'm usually impressed by his distribution and use of the ball.

I wouldn't be massively bothered if Strachan didn't change the team from Friday, though; either way, they should have enough to take care of Malta. 

Archived