Stirling Albion v Clyde

A bit bemused by Clyde fans having a go at the ref, for me a clear foul on Binnie and the Clyde players reaction told you that, plus Nichols challenge on Caddis was clumsy but a potential red as it looked dangerous albeit he never meant to do harm.

On to the stuff that matters and you see games sometimes and you can sense the outcome in the first 15 mins and today was one of those, quite frankly Clyde were hungrier and the better team, our key players were not involved at all, lucky to be in it for large periods.

Still top and we will take that and potentially a wake up call, good to see Clyde fans out in numbers again, usually games against them leave me feeling aggrieved however the best team won today, on to next week [emoji106]

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A bit bemused by Clyde fans having a go at the ref, for me a clear foul on Binnie and the Clyde players reaction told you that, plus Nichols challenge on Caddis was clumsy but a potential red as it looked dangerous albeit he never meant to do harm.

On to the stuff that matters and you see games sometimes and you can sense the outcome in the first 15 mins and today was one of those, quite frankly Clyde were hungrier and the better team, our key players were not involved at all, lucky to be in it for large periods.

Still top and we will take that and potentially a wake up call, good to see Clyde fans out in numbers again, usually games against them leave me feeling aggrieved however the best team won today, on to next week [emoji106]

Agree in the Nicol challenge 20 years ago bread and butter , not sure about foul in goalie but would need to see it again
I did think Albion lacked intensity seemed strange but might have been down to how we played never know

Good Clyde support through as usual

I think the abuse of the Clyde players by their fans is being overstated.

It wasn't as bad as you'd expect for a team that had thrown away the lead for the umpteenth time this season.

Generally the Clyde fans were very supportive with a few incidents of vocal criticism. It was no big deal.

Surely criticism happens with every other team's support too.

There's too much navel gazing within our support.
We should enjoy the win today for it was an enjoyable match and hard won. The first away league win since last year after all.

Agree in the Nicol challenge 20 years ago bread and butter , not sure about foul in goalie but would need to see it again
I did think Albion lacked intensity seemed strange but might have been down to how we played never know

Good Clyde support through as usual

Yes, for the record Nicol's attitude today was what I'd want from a player, drove the team on but was a bit lucky to be on park.

I think Clyde manipulated the game to suit them and fair play to them, didn't suit us at all.

I'd personally change to a back four and have Nicoll in front as Stirling will probably use that space better than the teams we have played against so far. Full-backs not with any real intent to push forward. I fear we'll sit too deep if Nicoll is part of the backline and we really need to defend at the edge of our box, not inside it. Flank him in midfield with the mobility of Ramsay and Cuddihy. Goodwillie with Burbidge and either Wright/Lamont either side, preferably sticking high up the pitch.

Good shout.

I thought today's game went almost as well as could've been hoped, the vacant gap on our right side during the first half aside. Stirling have got 13 in 4 before today; we were probably never going to keep a clean sheet. Neither were they.

Currie made one error as far as I could see; coming for a first half cross and being lucky that the ball dropped past the post after he collided with the Stirling player. Did everything else you'd expect him to. Some have sadly made their minds up; there was even a couple of shouts of abuse in the first half when he went out of his box after the ball, touched the ball into the box with his foot and then picked it up. Easy, no danger, and yet some were seeing something that wasn't actually there.

The defence was okay for their first run-out. The two centre halves dealt well with the smart backing-in of MacDonald and they also dealt well with what amounted to a lot of crosses. McNiff possibly most at fault for the second goal but we were a bit unlucky that Stewart's clearance was blocked and fell perfectly for Stirling to counter against our transition. Stewart was the best of the four again; Morrison's anonymity within the game can be attributed to another classy performance. He's passing every test he's facing at the moment. Breslin had a good second half and you can see why he was preferred over Home. Far better on the ball, and his pace should have been better designed to deal with Smith. Whether it came from Munro or Chapman, he did that after the break. Would still like Duffie to get up to speed and take that spot longer term.

Midfield were very good and Flynn and Miller have a lot of work to do to get to that level. We've not over-ran a team in that area for ages. Nicoll was Nicoll. Some great interceptions, good physicality at times. Caught on the run at others, and unnecessarily aggressive at his booking; he could easily have made that tackle without following in on the Stirling player. Cuddihy was our second best player by a mile today, particularly in the second half, and he's getting better by the game. His performances are what we were expecting from Flynn last year. Burbidge had the better of what was not a natural left-back but in general he looks like he more than fits in at this level. Wright will contribute more offensively in games but I don't think his defensive efforts should be un-noticed. Ramsay worked hard, defensively he needs to be more aware (he never looks over his shoulder after first blocking a passing angle) but his quality in carrying the ball was a key part in how we played today. He exploited the space created by the formation of Stirling which basically amounts to a 424 at times. Between him and Cuddihy there must've been 7 or 8 shots and I'll take that from a midfield every game.

For my money that was Goodwillie's best game for Clyde. Unplayable. Ignoring his quality, his work rate is top class. He had a good team behind him today with four midfield runners going beyond and his performance was even better as a result.

Stirling are still a decent team but I'm sure their next opponents will have watched how we approached the game today and exposed a few weaknesses. Hamilton was rubbish at left-back and the midfield pair were completely over-ran.

Great game for a Clyde fan. More performances like that and we'll fly up the table. The next two home games against poor sides should see 6 points as a realistic target.

I think the abuse of the Clyde players by their fans is being overstated.

It wasn't as bad as you'd expect for a team that had thrown away the lead for the umpteenth time this season.

Generally the Clyde fans were very supportive with a few incidents of vocal criticism. It was no big deal.

Surely criticism happens with every other team's support too.

There's too much navel gazing within our support.
We should enjoy the win today for it was an enjoyable match and hard won. The first away league win since last year after all.

Exactly [emoji106]

Wouldn't worry about it most people don't give a toss what is shouted if the team wins [emoji23]

Enjoy the win mate[emoji106]

garbage performance from stirling the day

panicked by the stirlin hardman goodwillie

wouldnt close him down and let him run with the ball across the backline all day

kevin nicholl is a F*ckin clogger but an effective one

stirlin need one of them in the team

also hit the ball back to front all day long to 5 foot target man mcdonald....why

5 minutes ago, Binos said:

garbage performance from stirling the day

panicked by the stirlin hardman goodwillie

wouldnt close him down and let him run with the ball across the backline all day

kevin nicholl is a F*ckin clogger but an effective one

stirlin need one of them in the team

also hit the ball back to front all day long to 5 foot target man mcdonald....why

PS Burbidge some player the day

still, stirling were light weight the day, and a better footballing team, if we will actually play

We were definetly the better team today. The goal we got chopped off was after the goalkeeper and another Stirling player fell over themselves - possibly one of the most shitebag decisions I've ever seen from a referee. He was utterly abysmal all day.

Goodwillie definetly onside for first goal, he is probably the best player, ability wise, I've ever seen play for us in 20 years. If we can keep him for the rest of the season then that's an almighty bonus that might get us promoted at the end up. I'd start Morrison in goals next week - I'm certainly not going to shout at Currie during matches as that achieves nothing but he is far from convincing. Breslin cost us the first goal and almost a second but I was really pleased with his second half performance. With the signing of Kieran Duffie, I really hope that Breslin can get the support and guidence that can improve his game.

Burbridge is a nifty player who will provide us with a lot of exciting moments - we need more players like him with a bit of confidence in themselves. Pleased he got his start and he took his chance with both hands.

I sit behind the away dugout at Forthbank and the way that Jim Chapman spoke to Breslin during the first half was ridiculous. No wonder he played poorly, he didn't have a clue what to do and with Chapman and John Joyce continually on his back with comments like "do your job" no wonder his confidence was shot. No praise when he won the ball, no encouragement to do better just continual criticism which resulted in a few shouts from the home support along the lines of "no wonder the lad doesn't want to play for you".

He might not be the best player at this level, I don't know, but what I do know is if it was me having to listen to that every week I doubt I would play much better.

The press reported that Mark Burbidge was on trial with us during the summer, for whatever reason he obviously didn't sign, but it looks like we have missed out on a good player as he impressed me yesterday.

I sit behind the away dugout at Forthbank and the way that Jim Chapman spoke to Breslin during the first half was ridiculous. No wonder he played poorly, he didn't have a clue what to do and with Chapman and John Joyce continually on his back with comments like "do your job" no wonder his confidence was shot. No praise when he won the ball, no encouragement to do better just continual criticism which resulted in a few shouts from the home support along the lines of "no wonder the lad doesn't want to play for you".

He might not be the best player at this level, I don't know, but what I do know is if it was me having to listen to that every week I doubt I would play much better.

The press reported that Mark Burbidge was on trial with us during the summer, for whatever reason he obviously didn't sign, but it looks like we have missed out on a good player as he impressed me yesterday.

Maybe some on here would like to write to Mr Chapman about verbal criticism of players or is that ok cause he is the boss [emoji23]

Well played Clyde, a deserved win. As an arrogant football fan I got this one wrong. Ach well. Competitive game without being a classic. Niggly fouls by Clyde, but that's football. Stirling manger may well say "We deserved more from the match" looking forward to Broadwood.

Just before restart MacDonald  spoke and gave manly hug to Clyde 16 or 17. Good to see.

25 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Good prediction.

Well can't claim it as a work of genius, given Peaso is a class act!

As I said earlier couldn't go as I was at a family wedding all day. Brilliant day in fact but of course made so much better when news came through with the result. Result even got a mention in Best Man's speech. Extra couple of malts enjoyed later from my boys on the back of the unexpected win.

Thanks lads sounds like a good game and performance.

On reflection DGW absolutely terriorised them yday. One point ball into a channe he was 5yrs off the defender and their full back spent more time looking over his shoulder than playing the ball of a 5yr start. Reminded me of montrose away last game o season,Chasing lost causes snd attitude different class. Great signing not just by name

On reflection DGW absolutely terriorised them yday. One point ball into a channe he was 5yrs off the defender and their full back spent more time looking over his shoulder than playing the ball of a 5yr start. Reminded me of montrose away last game o season,Chasing lost causes snd attitude different class. Great signing not just by name

Well he virtually single handedly saved us from play offs
What a great attitude , considering the level he is playing at the present
And great to see him run over to us when he scored [emoji106]

Archived