Stranraer v Airdrie

Thoughts on this one?

This is the fixture where Andy Ryan will be missed most. We played Stranraer five times with him in the side, and he scored every time. And his ongoing rammy with Cammy Belford was pretty hilarious.

Having said that, we look a stronger side in general since he left and the glut of loanees came in. Against Alloa and Albion Rovers we played some really nice attacking football, and Stranraer didn't impress me in the cup game - although they didn't really fall apart until Belford was sent off. I'm hopeful (and reasonably confident) we can make it three wins in a row.

Anyway, my ulterior motive for starting this thread... I'm heading down for the weekend and wondered if any Stranraerians could recommend somewhere decent (and dog friendly) for dinner on Friday?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stranraer didn't impress me in the cup game either, and, tbh we've hardly impressed in our league games so far.

We should have won at Hampden two weeks ago but flopped badly in the second half, and our squad already looks a bit thin once you get past about 13-14 players.

That said, this is our opportunity to start getting back to form again with a home game against a team that we should be competing against.

Sorry El Gringo - dinnae have a dog!

I think Airdrie might just scrape a win but the last time I saw one there was back in the PA announcement of promotion error, so I am a bit unsure. Thought the team did look really good against Alloa, and Stranraer appear unsettled which might just give us an edge, managerless situation or not. I assume the so called road works have been lifted/delayed to allow our vast travelling support to get there in loads of time. Hope I don't need to leave before the end!

The 77 will be fine,roadworks last weekend.Looking at results lately Airdrie seemed to be fair enough,but this is a game both sets of fans think they can win.CB mentioned the QP game but the team who finished that game will be a shadow of the team who start on Saturday,seemingly Faz has a full pool of players to choose from.The blues have become quite a hard team to beat at Stair pk,losing narrowly to  a highly confident Ayr last time at Stair pk.Our main man Ryan Wallace is looking to score in his 5th game on the trot and the young diamonds defence will do well to stop him.I think if Faz can field his strongest side we'll win.

8 hours ago, Car54wherareyou said:

The 77 will be fine,roadworks last weekend.Looking at results lately Airdrie seemed to be fair enough,but this is a game both sets of fans think they can win.CB mentioned the QP game but the team who finished that game will be a shadow of the team who start on Saturday,seemingly Faz has a full pool of players to choose from.The blues have become quite a hard team to beat at Stair pk,losing narrowly to  a highly confident Ayr last time at Stair pk.Our main man Ryan Wallace is looking to score in his 5th game on the trot and the young diamonds defence will do well to stop him.I think if Faz can field his strongest side we'll win.

Thanks for road info. Wallace was a very talented young player with Airdrie and but for some daft car park behaviour might well have been a financial asset at that time. Always plays well against Airdrie so I hope he does not score in a winning team!  I agree Stranraer are a hard team to break down at home so it should be interesting.

Deserved 3 points. Could have been more convincing against a punchless Airdrie. Even robbos red card didnt cause too much panic. Too far away to make any conclusion on the red. Some terrific play in the first half.

Good performance. Far better when we had the ball on the deck though, same could probably be said for Airdrie.
Anderson and Woods caused real problems with their pace.
Slow start to the second half let Airdrie back into it temporarily with what was only their first shot on target.
On to next week.

Did well to kill that one off midway through the second half before the referee caused too much damage.

Should have been out of sight by half-time, but might have wobbled Hampden-style at 1-1.

Very well deserved 3-1 win with good displays from Woods and Anderson in particular.

Two red cards - one for Fitzpatrick for shaking his crutch at the referee and linesman. The other for Robbo who tried to kick the ball out from under the prone figure of Fry - nae need for either!

Also interested to see Furtado as a trialist for Airdrie - brutal but effective.

Excellent performance from Stranraer today , totally outplayed Airdrie for the majority of the game , Anderson MOM and Woods had his best showing yet but full marks to all.

I would be very worried if I was an Airdrie fan that the poorest Airdrie team I've seen in years , and their Full Time ???

score could easily have been 5 or 6 -1.

No doubt that Stranraer deserved to win as they were stronger/quicker/pressed more/linked well and should have been out of sight before half time. Airdrie were the opposite for almost the whole game but for that wee spell where they did score a good equaliser in one of the few bits of the day when they actually passed the ball. It is not the poorest team to lose to Stranraer as I remember a dreadful one a few years ago which featured the dreadful Hugo  Faria and a four goal defeat( I think). Stranraer had a shape that dominated the middle of the game and for once Agnew was real asset on the wing whilst Thomson and Robertson were simply too strong to let our lightweight players get into the game. The penalty looked a bit soft but if you tug at a player in the box he will quite rightly go down. The third should have been stopped on the half way line but credit to the persistence of Anderson. Robertson got himself needlessly sent off by having a kick at a player on the ground and in our modern game that is a Red. Don't know why Fitzpatrick attracted the ire of the officials-something to do with the miscued "pass back" but it seemed harsh to send a guy on crutches to the stand! It was yet again experience triumphing over youth and it will be a long hard season. We did nothing against 10 men and indeed looked worse..Some positives from the day were the good pie before the game/a Scottish summer delight and marvellous coastal views on the way back up in silent reflection. The road workings over 200 yards on the way down before Maybole, and the 20 minute delay was the negative.

Excellent performance from Stranraer today , totally outplayed Airdrie for the majority of the game , Anderson MOM and Woods had his best showing yet but full marks to all.
I would be very worried if I was an Airdrie fan that the poorest Airdrie team I've seen in years , and their Full Time ???
score could easily have been 5 or 6 -1.

Outplayed?? we were setting them up for yous!!!!!

Sack the lot from Top to bottom....PISH

18 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I'm trying to piece together how an Airdrie player managed to get a red card whilst on crutches.

What happened exactly?

He was on the sidelines with the subs and must have shouted something really bad for the ref to send him to the stands. Ref was poor and from where I was Robertson kicked the ball whilst the Airdrie player had it trapped with his legs while he was on the ground , son not a red in my eyes but will be interesting to see again .

17 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I'm trying to piece together how an Airdrie player managed to get a red card whilst on crutches.

What happened exactly?

Fitzpatrick was in charge of the team , he was on crutches in the technical area and made a remark / swore at the stand side linesman about a pass back claim , sent to the stand.

Stranraer played very well today , 3-1 flattered Airdrie , they lacked leadership on the park . According to one of their senior officials a manager to be installed soon !!!, 

Archived