Dundee v St Johnstone 16.09.17

Don't agree with the comments that Moussa was struggling. I though he was excellent. Held the ball up well, a few knock downs, and didnt seem flustered when he got the ball, laying it off well a couple of times and calming the play down. St J defence also looked uncomfortable marking him. Spence was excellent, as was El Bak (more-so first half). Kamara is class. 

The sooner we get a replacement for Bain the better. Fucking ludicrous decision to come for the pen incident, and he didnt actually look bothered that he'd given the pen away. And the fact he rarely comes for cross balls just heaps unnecessary pressure on the defence.

O'Dea can gtf as far as I'm concerned. Was honking all game, and the pen/sending off was totally inexcusable. Captain, on a booking, just had a warning, desperate for 3 points, and goes and does that. Liability.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't get a chance to comment after the game yesterday so here's my piece. Firstly, I thought St. Johnstone were awful. Their only attribute seemed to be physicality - but I don't doubt they'll pick up points in the league playing that way. Aside from two moments of lunacy at the back it would have been a fairly comfortable day. 

Bain - I though he was indecisive a couple of times for crosses and I really don't like how he gets caught under the bar from corners - one of these times he's going to go in with the ball. The less said about his decision making for the first pen the better. Aside from that I can't remember him having too many saves to make. 

Kerr - Thought he handled the threat of MOH really well, and done well to calm himself down after a blatant elbow. Still needs to work on his delivery into the box as it can be really poor. Better game from him after a couple of below par performances. 

O'Dea - I think he should now be away from the team for a while now - looked completely off the pace. A few people were saying before the game we needed his experience. He spent the game playing like a hormonal teenager. It was embarrassing. Every ball he went up for he was fouling and it was clear as day from the Bobby Cox he was going to give away a pen at the end. He came out on twitter and praised the teams performance without mentioning that he nearly cost the team today. Getting booked in an under 20's game for abusing the referee speaks volumes for me. 

Hendry - I thought he was brilliant, and have done all season. Composure on the ball, good in the air and strong in the tackle. Could be a great find. 

Holt - Followed on from the home game against hibs with another strong performance. Good going forward and backwards. He should maybe not shoot with his right foot though!

Kamara - Class as per usual, like Hendry could be a great find. His ability to get his body between players and win back the ball the play the simple pass is brilliant. 

Spence - MOTM for me. Gritty, strong and forceful performance from the youngster. Thought he allowed Kamara to play with a lot more freedom and was very confident taking the ball from Bain and playing out - which the fans probably didn't agree with but playing out from the back created most of our chances in the game.

El Bak - Probably his best game for Dundee, that I've seen. Thought he protected Holt well and fought for every ball. Had a few good runs and apart from a good save from Mannus would have been on the score sheet. Seemed to link up well with Moussa and AJ.

Deacon/Wolters - Deacon didn't play enough to get any comment but I thought Wolters had his best game this season. Showed strength and speed a few times, although I think I'd outrun Easton. Final delivery could improve but there's probably a player in there.

Leith - Smith - Took his second goal really well and I was impressed with his overall play. Movement off the ball is good and very composed on the ball. Hopefully he can kick on from there as it was about as good a home debut as he could have wished for. 

Moussa - I'm not getting some of the criticism of him on here. He done exactly as he was asked. Won about 80% of his headers while constantly being fouled, linked up play with AJLS and El Bak really well and makes some good runs to create space. He's still never really had a clear cut chance to score so he took his penalty well given the pressure. I thought he had a good game, and clearly loves a goal even when it's not him scoring - he was going mad after our second. 

Referee - I thought he completely lost control of the game at the end. Over speaking to the touch line while it was kicking off in the penalty area and the lack of consistency in his decision making was dreadful - there have been calls for him to be demoted previously and I think they'd be completely justified.

Overall, Dundee were well worth the 3 points as by far the better side. Would have been a great game for the neutral to watch. 

3 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Didn't get a chance to comment after the game yesterday so here's my piece. Firstly, I thought St. Johnstone were awful. Their only attribute seemed to be physicality - but I don't doubt they'll pick up points in the league playing that way. Aside from two moments of lunacy at the back it would have been a fairly comfortable day. 

Bain - I though he was indecisive a couple of times for crosses and I really don't like how he gets caught under the bar from corners - one of these times he's going to go in with the ball. The less said about his decision making for the first pen the better. Aside from that I can't remember him having too many saves to make. 

Kerr - Thought he handled the threat of MOH really well, and done well to calm himself down after a blatant elbow. Still needs to work on his delivery into the box as it can be really poor. Better game from him after a couple of below par performances. 

O'Dea - I think he should now be away from the team for a while now - looked completely off the pace. A few people were saying before the game we needed his experience. He spent the game playing like a hormonal teenager. It was embarrassing. Every ball he went up for he was fouling and it was clear as day from the Bobby Cox he was going to give away a pen at the end. He came out on twitter and praised the teams performance without mentioning that he nearly cost the team today. Getting booked in an under 20's game for abusing the referee speaks volumes for me. 

Hendry - I thought he was brilliant, and have done all season. Composure on the ball, good in the air and strong in the tackle. Could be a great find. 

Holt - Followed on from the home game against hibs with another strong performance. Good going forward and backwards. He should maybe not shoot with his right foot though!

Kamara - Class as per usual, like Hendry could be a great find. His ability to get his body between players and win back the ball the play the simple pass is brilliant. 

Spence - MOTM for me. Gritty, strong and forceful performance from the youngster. Thought he allowed Kamara to play with a lot more freedom and was very confident taking the ball from Bain and playing out - which the fans probably didn't agree with but playing out from the back created most of our chances in the game.

El Bak - Probably his best game for Dundee, that I've seen. Thought he protected Holt well and fought for every ball. Had a few good runs and apart from a good save from Mannus would have been on the score sheet. Seemed to link up well with Moussa and AJ.

Deacon/Wolters - Deacon didn't play enough to get any comment but I thought Wolters had his best game this season. Showed strength and speed a few times, although I think I'd outrun Easton. Final delivery could improve but there's probably a player in there.

Leith - Smith - Took his second goal really well and I was impressed with his overall play. Movement off the ball is good and very composed on the ball. Hopefully he can kick on from there as it was about as good a home debut as he could have wished for. 

Moussa - I'm not getting some of the criticism of him on here. He done exactly as he was asked. Won about 80% of his headers while constantly being fouled, linked up play with AJLS and El Bak really well and makes some good runs to create space. He's still never really had a clear cut chance to score so he took his penalty well given the pressure. I thought he had a good game, and clearly loves a goal even when it's not him scoring - he was going mad after our second. 

Referee - I thought he completely lost control of the game at the end. Over speaking to the touch line while it was kicking off in the penalty area and the lack of consistency in his decision making was dreadful - there have been calls for him to be demoted previously and I think they'd be completely justified.

Overall, Dundee were well worth the 3 points as by far the better side. Would have been a great game for the neutral to watch. 

Great summary spot on.

11 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Cracking summary tbh - can't fault that really!

Good post dig out your soul.

I was going to write an assessment of yesterday's game, but it's pointless now. You said what I was thinking.

The referee had a difficult day. He got the ODea sending off right yet the much lauded O Halloran should have gone twice in the first half, and he could easily have booked Craig again in the first half. I thought for the "equaliser" he got it right as it looked as if there was a ladder to get up on our player's back - I'll need to see the replay to check. I screamed for our penalty, but then you do, and thankfully it was awarded.
We really did deserve a win yesterday as I thought we were the better side. Onwards and upwards.

Just watched highlights. Despite what I thought at the time it's a clear foul, I take it back ref. Only mistake was not sending off MOH.

When was this MOH incident? I'm not being funny but every time he went near a Dundee player the entire stadium erupted so it's hard to actually pinpoint what one you're on about

When was this MOH incident? I'm not being funny but every time he went near a Dundee player the entire stadium erupted so it's hard to actually pinpoint what one you're on about

His tackle on Kerr was a straight red rather than a yellow imo, that came about 2 mins after a dive at the edge of the box which should have been a booking. He then fouled Kerr in our box minutes after that horrific tackle and then got caught up with Holt, at which point the ref had a word with him and told him "I'm watching you". Pick any number of yellow and/or red cards from that.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Any 1 of about 6 mate obviously got frustrated at being hippered by Kerr proceeded to foul niggle and by my view of the booking assault Cammy for the rest of the 1st half.

Was Gartland still at Saints when Wright was Lomas assistant? Seemed to be a bit of history there. Gartland certainly more energetic these days than when he was a lumbering reserve centre half for us.

He was but I don't think he ever played for him. It was just passionate folk being passionate, nothing sinister about it.

He was but I don't think he ever played for him. It was just passionate folk being passionate, nothing sinister about it.

Fair enough, it'd be good if TW could translate some of that to his players as they certainly weren't very passionate yesterday.

Archived