Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

The thing that annoys me about Scots waving Catalan flags is that they don't think about the risks of stirring up a roughly 50/50 conflict within Catalonia, and huge consequences in wider Spain, in a place where a horrendous civil war was fought in living memory. Spain does not equal the UK, Catalonia does not equal Scotland.

Edited by welshbairn

The thing that annoys me about Scots waving Catalan flags is that they don't think about the risks of stirring up a roughly 50/50 conflict within Catalonia, and huge consequences in wider Spain, in a place where a horrendous civil war was fought in living memory. Spain does not equal the UK, Catalonia does not equal Scotland.
No -youre right. Spain's worse. And Catalunya is more viable and culturally distinct.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's not the fault of the Catalonians though.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So they should just shut up and eat their cereal then?  Its 50/50 now with the Spanish govt engaging in literal fascism to suppress the democratic wishes of the Catalan people.  But that's okay is it?

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

So they should just shut up and eat their cereal then?  Its 50/50 now with the Spanish govt engaging in literal fascism to suppress the democratic wishes of the Catalan people.  But that's okay is it?

You don't know what the democratic wishes of the Catalan people are.

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That's not the fault of the Catalonians though.

Nor the Catalonians favouring being part of Spain. It has no relation to Scotland.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, tirso said:
6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
And with full language and cultural rights, a bit of a wedge in NI at least. 

Scotland has full language rights too despite nobody speaking it. Yippee. Suppose the SNP should disband.

How many schools in Scotland have compulsory Gaelic? Some Spanish speakers in Catalonia are a bit annoyed by their children being force fed.

3 minutes ago, tirso said:
8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You don't support letting them find out.

I support them negotiating a change in the constitution to make it happen, not a one sided illegal opinion poll designed to get the result they want.

I support them negotiating a change in the constitution to make it happen, not a one sided illegal opinion poll designed to get the result they want.
The rest of Spain are zealously against it.

If Westminster says no forever what do you do? Genuinely.

2 minutes ago, tirso said:

The rest of Spain are zealously against it.

If Westminster says no forever what do you do? Genuinely.

Use their leverage better in Madrid to force gradual devolution to independence, if that's what Catalonians want, which I'm not convinced a majority do. The latest boost in Nationalist fervour was provoked by the Popular Party revoking an agreement for more devolution. 

Use their leverage better in Madrid to force gradual devolution to independence, if that's what Catalonians want, which I'm not convinced a majority do. The latest boost in Nationalist fervour was provoked by the Popular Party revoking an agreement for more devolution. 

Hmmm. So you would have them leverage something before you'll let them understand if it's what Catalunya wants.

Even in your mad world of this invisable leverage, you're upside down.

The Madrid parties get in power by being hostile to independence. You're not living in the reality here.

I'm past caring now to be honest. You don't have a clue.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Deluded.  Eighteen times they voted to hold a referendum, eighteen times they were denied.

52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I wasn't alone in worrying about it.

image.png.5e2e71e8f1a7068911b07843290b05d9.png

It was pointed out to you that you were wrong. But you continued with your hysteria anyway.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Wrong.

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How do you propose we find out? 

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How many schools in Scotland have compulsory Gaelic? Some Spanish speakers in Catalonia are a bit annoyed by their children being force fed.

People who live in Catalonia are Catalans. It seems reasonable that children in Catalonia should be taught in the native language.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure they'll take due account of your views. I'd be interested to see your evidence that the referendum was one-sided and designed to get a particular result. That wasn't the view of international observers.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I hope you've told them this.