Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

• 1 month later...

Catalonia's national day today with up to a million expected on Barcelona's streets.

All taking place with the background of politicians in exile,others in jail etc.

Catalan president Quim Tora saying today that only an independence referendum can resolve the current stand off between Catalonia and Spain.

Edited by Whitburn Vale

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

i was there 2 years ago today. It was amazing.

Just like us they deserve at least a vote on it, although i have a feeling the goverment in Madrid know exactly what the result will be. 80%+ would be my guess

The polls indicate it would be very close, like here. Barcelona itself vote remain.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The polls indicate it would be very close, like here. Barcelona itself vote remain.

Catalonia has already voted for independence, there is no way you can twist the numbers from the poll held to show independence wouldn't have won.  

2 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Catalonia has already voted for independence, there is no way you can twist the numbers from the poll held to show independence wouldn't have won.  

An illegal poll that most remainers didn't take part in means nothing.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

An illegal poll that most remainers didn't take part in means nothing.

Yes it does, the numbers that voted for independence couldn't have been surmounted boycott or not.  You're a bit of a w****r tbh, 'remainers' lol.  Absolute w****r chat, away and join Labour they love that stuff.

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

Yes it does, the numbers that voted for independence couldn't have been surmounted boycott or not.  You're a bit of a w****r tbh, 'remainers' lol.  Absolute w****r chat, away and join Labour they love that stuff.

What's the correct term for people who live in Catalonia and want to remain part of Spain?

On 11/09/2019 at 23:02, Kuro said:

What a load of shit. Turnout was 43.03%. Of course the majority could have been surmounted when less than half of those who could vote, voted. 

What a load of shit. Turnout was 43.03%. Of course the majority could have been surmounted when less than half of those who could vote, voted. 

Mathematically true

Although given that Spanish General Elections usually command a 70% turnout the question of whether it could have realistically been surmounted isn’t so simple

To effectively treat everyone who didn’t vote as a boycott is as disingenuous as ignoring the low turnout.

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Mathematically true

Although given that Spanish General Elections usually command a 70% turnout the question of whether it could have realistically been surmounted isn’t so simple

To effectively treat everyone who didn’t vote as a boycott is as disingenuous as ignoring the low turnout.

I'm not sure how much faith you can take in a poll under such chaotic conditions, with ballot papers seized and counts disrupted, as well as the boycott. The latest private opinion poll doesn't indicate a big majority for independence. Not sure how reliable it is either, but I haven't read anything questioning it.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-spain-politics-catalonia/more-catalans-oppose-independence-than-support-it-for-first-time-since-referendum-poll-idUKKCN1SG1J4

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/05/10/inenglish/1557490636_164146.html

I'm not sure how much faith you can take in a poll under such chaotic conditions, with ballot papers seized and counts disrupted, as well as the boycott. The latest private opinion poll doesn't indicate a big majority for independence. Not sure how reliable it is either, but I haven't read anything questioning it.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-spain-politics-catalonia/more-catalans-oppose-independence-than-support-it-for-first-time-since-referendum-poll-idUKKCN1SG1J4

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/05/10/inenglish/1557490636_164146.html

That was the point

It’s not strong enough to justify a UDI but to tell everyone it’s meaningless and to move along there’s nothing to see here is equally silly.

If you were of a scientific disposition you’d read it as significant evidence that justifies further research.

Absolutely correct and the polls have shown independence currently polling lower than when the referendum was called.

It was probably a majority but there was no way of telling for sure.

That was the point

It’s not strong enough to justify a UDI but to tell everyone it’s meaningless and to move along there’s nothing to see here is equally silly.

If you were of a scientific disposition you’d read it as significant evidence that justifies further research.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Mathematically true

Of course it's true - and I'm surprised no-one else picked up on it. Kuro's post was an obvious lie.

I'm not treating everyone who didn't vote as a vote against Catalan Independence BTW, just  highlighting the bollocks that had been posted. I don't know, or care, enough about Catalonia or Spain to want to make any assumptions about how people there would vote. However, I do find the repeated attempt of the Scottish Independence movement to back separatism in a foreign country utterly cringeworthy and ridiculous - and I'd apply that to Irish Republicanism just as much as I would the Catalan nonsense. 

Of course it's true - and I'm surprised no-one else picked up on it. Kuro's post was an obvious lie.

I'm not treating everyone who didn't vote as a vote against Catalan Independence BTW, just  highlighting the bollocks that had been posted. I don't know, or care, enough about Catalonia or Spain to want to make any assumptions about how people there would vote. However, I do find the repeated attempt of the Scottish Independence movement to back separatism in a foreign country utterly cringeworthy and ridiculous - and I'd apply that to Irish Republicanism just as much as I would the Catalan nonsense. 

Yet you take a side by saying "Catalan nonsense"

As someone with Spanish heritage I'm also annoyed by some hangers on. It applies both ways.

The fact over 40% of an entire electorate voted for something means something. I've no idea but it's probably not far off the Scottish no vote in 2014. It's beleaguered at the moment but it's not going away and needs some kind of resolution that doesn't include locking people up.