Aberdeen v Killie

Nicky Maynard is not very good. It is so apparent that his legs are gone and he no longer has the ability to have any impact on a game.  When you make Greer look pacey you know you’re in a bit of bother. I am sure McInnis will continue to give him a chance until he accept that he’s sh*te around January.

Thought Arnason was decent enough, although he wants a bit too long on the ball at times. Rotating Christie is madness, should be starting every game when fit.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Mackiemyday said:

Nicky Maynard is not very good. It is so apparent that his legs are gone and he no longer has the ability to have any impact on a game.  When you make Greer look pacey you know you’re in a bit of bother. I am sure McInnis will continue to give him a chance until he accept that he’s sh*te around January.

Thought Arnason was decent enough, although he wants a bit too long on the ball at times. Rotating Christie is madness, should be starting every game when fit.

On the Maynard signing, we've tried this before, with players who were once 'names' and cost a few bob down south coming up north to top up their pensions before calling it a day via one final stint in the Isthmian League.

It seldom works - see Mike Newell / Noel Whelan, even the likes of McNamara.  Occasionally you'll get a wee glimpse of a player, but generally they're not going to do it for you, nor will they really care very much about it either.

McInnes is currently in full tombola-spinning mode trying out all kinds of permutations and trying to ensure all the new signings get some game time.  Sooner or later, he's going to have to settle on what he thinks is generally his best XI and hope they go on the kind of winning runs the team did in previous seasons.

I'm not convinced that's going to happen this season - and right now, it feels like we could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th. The next few games against the sides higher up will be telling.

As for Kilmarnock, it was fairly similar to last week against Hearts, in that they didn't start like they believed - then somewhere around the half hour mark, Jordan Jones produced a couple of nice bits of improvising play and suddenly the whole pendulum swung until Christie and GMS came on around 20 minutes from the end.  They'll have taken confidence from that and certainly don't look the obvious drop candidates one or two were making out they would be.

The way we lined up in the second half, before the Rooney substitution is what I'd play against Motherwell. 

Lewis

Logan O'Connor Arnason Considine

McLean Shinnie 

Wright Christie GMS 

May

I'd probably swap out McLean for Tansey but Del isn't gonna drop him. Derek's got to this stage now where he's being criticised for tinkering, but still can't get a team out which looks great. Keeping the same shape could help a little with building some consistency, but while still looking for a system which works.  

5 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Derek's got to this stage now where he's being criticised for tinkering, but still can't get a team out which looks great. Keeping the same shape could help a little with building some consistency, but while still looking for a system which works.  

I think when we have 3 games in 8 days our manager will always tinker with the squad but I feel he will not tinker as much with the bigger games in October if the results go our way.  With the size of squad we have now I expect him to tinker most of the season. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 hours ago, betting competition said:

I think when we have 3 games in 8 days our manager will always tinker with the squad but I feel he will not tinker as much with the bigger games in October if the results go our way.  With the size of squad we have now I expect him to tinker most of the season. 

Every season he's been in charge, he's a had a period where he just can't help tinkering with/rotating the team.  Remember the 4 centre-halves experiment at Dingwall ? 

All of it ends in failure, and once he gets back to basics and plays a settled side we invariably start playing well again. 

I'm not convinced in any way that Wright should be starting, and we need to find a midfield balance that protects the defence. Once we get that right, stick with it. 

On the Maynard signing, we've tried this before, with players who were once 'names' and cost a few bob down south coming up north to top up their pensions before calling it a day via one final stint in the Isthmian League.
It seldom works - see Mike Newell / Noel Whelan, even the likes of McNamara.  Occasionally you'll get a wee glimpse of a player, but generally they're not going to do it for you, nor will they really care very much about it either.
McInnes is currently in full tombola-spinning mode trying out all kinds of permutations and trying to ensure all the new signings get some game time.  Sooner or later, he's going to have to settle on what he thinks is generally his best XI and hope they go on the kind of winning runs the team did in previous seasons.
I'm not convinced that's going to happen this season - and right now, it feels like we could finish anywhere from 2nd to 6th. The next few games against the sides higher up will be telling.
As for Kilmarnock, it was fairly similar to last week against Hearts, in that they didn't start like they believed - then somewhere around the half hour mark, Jordan Jones produced a couple of nice bits of improvising play and suddenly the whole pendulum swung until Christie and GMS came on around 20 minutes from the end.  They'll have taken confidence from that and certainly don't look the obvious drop candidates one or two were making out they would be.

We were playing just as badly this time last season with the exact same accusations being thrown at Derek re team selection.

Give us time, we'll come good.

17 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

We were playing just as badly this time last season with the exact same accusations being thrown at Derek re team selection.

Give us time, we'll come good.

Agree - but there was always the tried and tested, with the personnel available.   Taylor, The Rat, McGinn and Hayes all had fairly obvious roles.

This time it's a bit different - probably more options available, but you'll find dozens of opinions on how to best mould them into a side that can replicate the winning runs we went on in recent seasons.  Ultimately let's hope the manager and Doc's opinion is the one that works for us.

Agree - but there was always the tried and tested, with the personnel available.   Taylor, The Rat, McGinn and Hayes all had fairly obvious roles.
This time it's a bit different - probably more options available, but you'll find dozens of opinions on how to best mould them into a side that can replicate the winning runs we went on in recent seasons.  Ultimately let's hope the manager and Doc's opinion is the one that works for us.

I would agree with this. Last season largely we knew who our best players were in which positions, yes there was the same question regarding McLean, and the debate about Shinnie's best position wasn't settled and there was the Madison question. This season though we've a lot of new players and the ones we've signed aren't direct like for like replacements. It has made it a lot less obvious who our best 11 is and who should play where.

I'm interested in what sort of role Ball will play this season. On the one hand I thought he played well for about half the game last week, then didn't feature this week. I just wonder if McInnes' reluctance to drop McLean will mean we've a player more suited to that position sitting on the bench.

44 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I do see your point but I'm fairly relaxed.

I don't think we're a million miles away from our first choice team.

- keeper is obviously a given

- fullbacks of Logan/Considine pretty set

- wouldn't be surprised if O'Connor/Arnason became the central partnership

- Shinnie should always start

- Christie should always start through the middle for me

- May is undoubtedly first choice striker

We're then left with who is first choice out wide and next to Shinnie.

I'd like to see Ball start next to Shinnie on Thursday to allow Shinnie to be more of a driving force going forward or at least see how it goes.

Wings I can't decide yet what our best choices are, great that Wright is getting his chance but as good as he is I don't think he's quite got consistency yet.  I think Thursday I'd like to see GMS and Stewart start in the wide areas.

As I say, I'm fairly confident a settled team is on its way.

Archived