Tipping

Jmothecat2

I don't understand why the restaurants can't just charge a bit more and pay their employees a fair wage. This sort of tip culture will mean they have no idea what their wages are, they will be dependent on having generous customers, means people doing the same job at the same place will get different wages based on little more than luck and it leads to that annoying over friendliness that yank waiting staff have in America.

In Nice just now and the food bills are itemised including showing 20% tax and 10% service charge. They all have to be by law.

The staff are not overly friendly however are polite and serve your food and drinks with minimal fuss. They do seem very grateful for any additional tips.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why wouldn't I take the word emergency literally? 
It's each to their own really but I just don't see the need for keeping cash at your house at all times.

You take everything you read literally? Must make for some drama in your life!

As you say, each to their own but as long as a large number of transactions are done using cash, I'd imagine most would prefer to keep some cash on hand.

Taxi Drivers and places you eat out expect tips, as do takeaway delivery drivers. However, for me it's all to do with the quality of service. If you keep me waiting ages for a takeaway then no tip for you. In fact, the takeaway drivers are so shite I've taken to phoning and collecting myself. Much quicker.

I have occasionally tipped the hairdresser.

I have never ever tipped the window cleaner. What next? The postman, the bin man?

As I said before, I look upon tipping as a kind of insurance...so yep, tip the postie and binmen at Christmas.

11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You take everything you read literally? Must make for some drama in your life!

As you say, each to their own but as long as a large number of transactions are done using cash, I'd imagine most would prefer to keep some cash on hand.

If someone says "I keep cash in the house for emergency situations" I'm not sure how else I'm supposed to take it other than literally. If you just meant "I like to keep cash on me because I buy things using cash often" then that's what you should've said. Not sure why that would cause any drama in my life.

19 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I was more meaning in case I lost my bank card or slam things, it means I'll have enough cash to keep me going until a new one gets sent out.

See, that would qualify as an emergency situation. Fair enough. f**k knows what hkblues is on about.

14 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Nowt to do with tipping, using Uber for the cheapest price is where the contradiction is for me

You literally started your 'leftist' flailing on the subject of tipping; I couldn't care less about Uber, or your attempt to shift the goalposts.

I'd rather be a UoLer

Yes, because that's worked out terrifically for you. A taxi driver living in some backwater of Ayrshire, raging about not getting his 'deserved' tip from customers, admitting to stealing the property of his customers and having his laughable political views torn up for arse paper at any given opportunity. 

If there was a Venn diagram for 'beetroot-faced roasters getting upset about tips', you'd be in the centre. A caricature of fail. 

than lesser history grad.

A completed PhD thesis shoots that effort down in flames. Better luck next time champ. 

1502812027472.jpg.44ade20f37f0eedb5778e032268104b3.jpg

It's rare that I get a takeaway but if I do I always tip the delivery driver. We live 4 floors up and there is no lift, so anything that saves me that when I have a hangover(Which is the only time I consider a take away now) is well worth the 2 or 3 quid they get from me.

If I've ordered a takeaway to pay on delivery then the driver gets whatever the change is rounded up to the next multiple of 5 . Pay online and the driver's on to plums.
Barber gets a tip each time , mainly coz she's pretty fit .
Got a guy that does any flooring or carpets I need done that gets a decent tip each time due to excellent service.
Would not even entertain the thought of tipping posties, couriers etc or the window cleaner.

53 minutes ago, virginton said:

You literally started your 'leftist' flailing on the subject of tipping; I couldn't care less about Uber, or your attempt to shift the goalposts.

Yes, because that's worked out terrifically for you. A taxi driver living in some backwater of Ayrshire, raging about not getting his 'deserved' tip from customers, admitting to stealing the property of his customers and having his laughable political views torn up for arse paper at any given opportunity. 

If there was a Venn diagram for 'beetroot-faced roasters getting upset about tips', you'd be in the centre. A caricature of fail. 

A completed PhD thesis shoots that effort down in flames. Better luck next time champ. 

1502812027472.jpg.44ade20f37f0eedb5778e032268104b3.jpg

Who gives the slightest f**k about Dutch history, a totally worthless subject dissected by a worthless individual, who knew you'd need to stroke your ego to keep your confidence up.

Haircut costs £9 so just give them the tenner, been going to the same barbers since I was a kid and never had any problems.

Will usually round up a taxi fare to the nearest quid unless they're a c**t or it's a black cab which are a rip off.

Never used any of the aftershave etc that toilet attendants in pubs/clubs have, will be polite to them but I'm not giving them a quid to pass me a bit of paper towel I could easily get myself.

Have no problems tipping at a restaurant unless the service has been shite

23 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Tipping delivery drivers makes no sense. If they've delivered it quickly its because it's been cooked quickly. f**k all to do with the delivery boy.

Aye, they're all just sitting about waiting with bated breath for your order to come in.

Folk saying they tip nice looking lassies  more :lol:

Do you think they'll shag you because you've chucked them a couple of quid? If so that makes them, in effect, incredibly cheap prostitutes.

It also says that you're a bit of a weirdo creep who think that a woman will shag them because you've paid them a few quid extra for them doing their job.

Archived