Examining Brendan Rodgers financial claims...

ggr

13 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

This is reminiscent of Martin O'Neill's meltdown when Man United signed Liam Miller, having a tantrum about how unfair it was that big clubs could swoop in and steal a promising player from a smaller club who were powerless to stop it. That was the same season he signed Didier Agathe and Stephen Pearson, while he managed the likes of Rab Douglas and Javier Sanchez Broto in his time at the club.

The hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness at that club is deep-rooted. 

I dont remember anything like that at the time, a quick google suggests the same.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gannonball said:

So despite us spending well within our means we should get punished for being a bigger club than anyone else in Scotland? 

You aren't spending well within your means, your spending more than your domestic revenue in the gamble that you either qualify for the extra revenue European income or you flog someone for big money

I don't remember O'Neill screaming much about it, but I remember some of the support losing it- over the stalling over his contract more than anything.

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I dont remember anything like that at the time, a quick google suggests the same.

Think this article covers it 

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/o-neill-questions-miller-s-choice-1-508682

He accepts our place in the food chain but is disappointed because he thinks Miller made a bad decision. In hindsight, he's spot on. 

9 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

You aren't spending well within your means, your spending more than your domestic revenue in the gamble that you either qualify for the extra revenue European income or you flog someone for big money

We budget for Europe, we dont budget for the champions league untill we get the money, which we usually spend the year after anyway. If we dont make either we cut our cloth accordingly next year. Up untill brendan came our wages had been dropping year on year pretty much since O'Neill. Gambling on the rough potetinal worth of a player is nonsense.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Think this article covers it 

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/o-neill-questions-miller-s-choice-1-508682

He accepts our place in the food chain but is disappointed because he thinks Miller made a bad decision. In hindsight, he's spot on. 

Some meltdown eh?

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:10, well91 said:

If a club have the cash they spend it. End of story. This thread will be as predictable as any other on here. Will soon deteriorate into personal abuse.

f**k off.

Celtic are a well run club and ultimately they look out for number 1, which is absolutely their prerogative and actually the directors of that plc are legally obliged to look out for Celtic alone.  I have no issue with that.

However, it is fanciful of Rodgers to say there isn't a comparison between PSG/Celtic and Celtic/Rest of Scotland.  Add in to that Celtic are so far ahead because they have reached the champions league, the very beast that creates such disparity throughout Europe between the have's and have nots.  Celtic will do fantastically financially out of the Champions League, I dislike it as a competition and what it stands for but again, that's Celtic's prerogative.  I daresay if Aberdeen ever qualified I'd be pleased with the financial reward too.

However, don't cry about the riches PSG or any other club have in that competition.  It is the nature of the beast, the money involved is designed for those few clubs, you are just claiming the scraps from their table.  And don't deny the damage done to the Scottish game by your being so far ahead.  

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Deila must have been terrific then.

All those league titles.  I think he even squeezed in a Cup.  The guy's a genius.

This Celtic team is 4 years in the making Deila built this team and Rodgers has took it into the champions league,now he has to break the class ceiling like O'neil,Strachan and Lennon.getting European footie after Christmas,Celtic can't go out and spend 100 million to try and compete at this level so we need to build a team over years,our position in the food chain  and having a vacuum cleaner next door makes that more difficult,in the main Celtic have left the Scottish market alone with looking elsewhere for talent plus bring through our own.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

My own Google search has been equally unsuccessful, I'm not sure if I'm remembering someone else connected to Celtic having a meltdown at the time or if it was a different transfer and I've totally fucked it.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

What's up with the vacuum cleaner next door

too loud?

I had a vacuum cleaner once that sounded like a thousand banshees being tortured

scared the all neighbourhood cats and a had few birds drop dead out of the sky.

felt pretty bad about it

This vacuum cleaner next door makes more of a mess than it cleans,it leaves a graveyard of rubbish  behind. it has the power not only in Scotland but right across Europe and spits out the bits it doesn't need.

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

im right there with you on that

sounds just like that vacuum cleaner (and one of my ex's)

as well as it could kill birds stone dead out of the sky with the sheer volume

could also drain the power grid right across central europe

luckily it self detonated before the police came round looking for the largest cannabis farm in western europe

Pulling the plug is not an option now it's self awareness is turned on terminator style it can protect itself, there will be no stopping it

6 hours ago, nsr said:

That's why the footballing authorities in this country did and will continue to do everything possible to keep "Rangers" going at a level where they can at least nominally be credible opponents.

Sadly not just the football authorities but our clubs too.  Never forget they were in a panic kicking and screaming because Rangers Int weren't allowed into the one of the top two leagues. Our clubs are quite happy to plod along playing third fiddle unfortunately. 

Archived