Christmas Food & Drink

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

^^^sitting in his flat with a festive pot noodle on Christmas day.

I hate Pot Noodles.

And I shall be dining with the family at my younger brother and his husband's house this year.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Turkey is shite so get that to f**k. A nice big ham is the way to go. A lovely big salmon is also desirable.

Obviously pigs in blankets are a must, and anyone who dislikes them is a horse rapist and smells of hammers. The same applies to roast tatties, although they have to be done well, with a nice crispy out coating but lovely and fluffy inside. Soggy efforts with hard bits of potato under the limp skin should see the perpetrator face jail time. The size of them is important here, as is the cooking method and the medium.

Good shout on a cheesboard; it's a must, but the timing is crucial. It can't be right after the dessert; instead it should be later in the evening. Suitable biscuits and crackers should be served with it. There should be a good selection of cheese, not just numerous cheddars. Talking of desserts, traditional christmas pudding is rank, and has no place at a table. It's also far too heavy after what is probably a substantial meal, especially if it's saturated in spirits. A spot of zingy, palate cleansing sorbet is what you're after here. Or an orange Callipo.

I'm not a wine drinker (wine is shite), so if partaking in alcohol it will be beer for me. A nice light refreshing beer is what is needed for dining, so a tasty sharp IPA is the perfect companion. 

In reality...Eta,  beaten to it, but I provided illustration.

images-3.jpeg

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

When are folk going to give up this “I don’t like it so it must be shite” nonsense?

Fair enough for crucial things like Trump, Tories, religion, Sevco and cyclists; but food is just a matter of preference.

We will be having:  Bread and pâté, Turkey and trimmings, not sure what pudding.  Really nice Rioja from M&S for me, San Valentin for wife and whatever anyone else wants.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

When are folk going to give up this “I don’t like it so it must be shite” nonsense?

Fair enough for crucial things like Trump, Tories, religion, Sevco and cyclists; but food is just a matter of preference.

We will be having:  Bread and pâté, Turkey and trimmings, not sure what pudding.  Really nice Rioja from M&S for me, San Valentin for wife and whatever anyone else wants.

I'm surprised you celebrate Christmas with it being a religious holiday.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Having a bad day, grandpa?

Mince pies are shite, unless they are puff pastry mince pies. Any type of meat/bird will do, roast tatties, mash, bit of veg(must have roasted parsnips), maybe some Yorkshire puddings, a packet of pigs and blankets, gravy and some cranberry sauce. Don't need dessert, shouldn't be able to move for a couple of hours after that.

We have a goose for Christmas dinner, the fat is used to cook the roast potatoes. Usual Trimmings on the side. 

Starter is either soup or pate and dessert is Christmas Pudding . A cheeseboard will also be on the go. 

Booze is usually a plethora of lager whilst cooking and champagne with dinner. 

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Mince pies are shite, unless they are puff pastry mince pies. Any type of meat/bird will do, roast tatties, mash, bit of veg(must have roasted parsnips), maybe some Yorkshire puddings, a packet of pigs and blankets, gravy and some cranberry sauce. Don't need dessert, shouldn't be able to move for a couple of hours after that.

A packet of pigs in blankets? Fùcksake Tam, are you dining with the Sally Army?

I fucking love Christmas.

Chocolate oranges and York Fruits. Copious amounts of chocolate Brazils.

Cheese, a whole two weeks of every kind of cheese.

Drink a shit load of whisky, baileys and wine on top of all the usual. Its fucking marvellous a whole two weeks of what is essentially Sunday drinking. Can walk into any pub on any day (you don't really know what day it is) and it will be busy , football on and probably some racing. Also wholly acceptable to wake up and pour a mimosa/bucks fizz.

Xmas day always same. Bacon croissants and champagne breakfast.

Lunch beef Wellington and turkey.

Anyone else old enough to remember you could only get citrus fruit at Xmas and it came in boxes in coloured paper?

My no1 Xmas snacking tip a pitted date filled with blue cheese followed by a sip of your favourite smokey Islay. Thank me later.

Edited by invergowrie arab