Flat Earth theory

DA Baracus

I haven’t seen much flat earth stuff around Edinburgh but there was plenty of it around Inverness which I found rather funny.

I listened to a flat earth theorist being interviewed and he seemed more interested in getting the point across that we don’t really know what is out there and our perceptions are largely manipulated by what main stream media tell us and for all we know life can just be one massive version of the Truman show. He wasn’t that interested in talking about the mechanics of a flat earth.

10 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Have any of the Flat Earthers ever explained just why NASA is lying to us all?

Nursery rhymes,

Allegories,

Spoofs

Agency

NASA was founded on 1st April 1949 by US President Harry Truman as an April Fools joke to distract from the looming Cold War.

Everything NASA has done has been a practical joke and in fact NASA secretly funds the Flat Earth Society as the ultimate practical joke of having idiots making such ludicrious claims about NASA, so we are so busy laughing at them and not really paying attention to the NASA errors in their spoofs, that's how they got away with the errors in the moon landing pictures.

It’s a bizarre symptom of the post truth era that this has came to the fore again.

When you can convince people that everything is a lie and everything is a big conspiracy they will literally believe anything.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Is the flat earth stuff not all just a wind up?

No, the wonder of the internet gives the monumentally mental the oxygen of publicity, hence all these conspiracy theories. I've not quite got my head around their explanation of flights crossing the alleged equator. Seems to be a degree of popping off the edge of the world, popping round the back for a few minutes then re-appearing. 

15 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

No, the wonder of the internet gives the monumentally mental the oxygen of publicity, hence all these conspiracy theories. I've not quite got my head around their explanation of flights crossing the alleged equator. Seems to be a degree of popping off the edge of the world, popping round the back for a few minutes then re-appearing. 

Probably the craziest ones I've come across are those who deny that direct flights between South Africa and Australia exist, and anyone who claims to have got on one has been drugged and duped into believing that was their route of travel!

3 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Probably the craziest ones I've come across are those who deny that direct flights between South Africa and Australia exist, and anyone who claims to have got on one has been drugged and duped into believing that was their route of travel!

That doesn't sound like satire to you?

50 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That doesn't sound like satire to you?

It does, but then so does much of the news these days.

Have a look at this and see what you think....

For some reason most of these Flat Earth vids have comments disabled...

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

6 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

Natural selection at its finest.

e18f8dd467b6f31f5cf60974a789f2a4.jpg

Auld duffer dies during his 'attempt' to enter Space.  Flat Earthers claim he was shot down by NASA/USAF/MIB.

Is the flat earth stuff not all just a wind up?

It’s just to grab attention originally, the message is that they believe the world as we know it is being monitored like in the film The Village or the Truman Show. For example; If you had a child that you told throughout its life that all existence doesn’t expand past the 4 walls of the house you occupy then it will spend its life believing that is true unless told differently. It’s the same sort of mindset but on a larger scale with the flat earth conspiracy.

I thought the flat earth stuff began as internet trolling but then some morons took it to be true and are now pedalling this shit.

What I don't understand is that If it is a huge conspiracy and if the earth is indeed flat. What would the conspirators have to gain? The world is obviously full of incredibly stupid people.

I thought the flat earth stuff began as internet trolling but then some morons took it to be true and are now pedalling this shit.

What I don't understand is that If it is a huge conspiracy and if the earth is indeed flat. What would the conspirators have to gain? The world is obviously full of incredibly stupid people.

Its not a case of conspirators having anything to gain as such, their level of thinking is that the entire world as we know it is manipulated and we are being monitored by external beings. Perhaps just for the sake of it.

Before anyone points the finger, I am not a flat earth believer!

Just now, throbber said:

Its not a case of conspirators having anything to gain as such, their level of thinking is that the entire world as we know it is manipulated and we are being monitored by external beings. Perhaps just for the sake of it.

Before anyone points the finger, I am not a flat earth believer!

Most of the Flat Earthers I've encountered online (not in person fortunately) are religious hardliners who see this as proof that our planet was created at the centre of the universe (which is in fact just a canopy above us)...