Cultural Diversity In Your Town/Village/Whatever

Hedgecutter

22 minutes ago, bob the tank said:

What ghetto do you live in Swampy? Is there a "Scottish" ghetto for you, Craig Ferguson and Groundskeeper Willie?

Not Scottish, but British people don't form ghettos in America for obvious reasons. Obvious unless you're committed to the strange idea that everybody born outside the US is the exact same.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not Scottish, but British people don't form ghettos in America for obvious reasons. Obvious unless you're committed to the strange idea that everybody born outside the US is the exact same.

No they just formed their own towns all over the place, town sized ghettos

Well yeah, 300-400 years ago they did. Because they came to conquer the place. It's what invaders do.

The conquers and invaders from Scotland were being forceably removed from their farms by the landlords to be replaced by high profit sheep. Do you actually know anything about supposedly your own country?

2 hours ago, bob the tank said:

The conquers and invaders from Scotland were being forceably removed from their farms by the landlords to be replaced by high profit sheep. Do you actually know anything about supposedly your own country?

I was referring to British people in general, not Scottish people specifically. And it's kind of irrelevant how they got here. Yes, they didn't come to assimilate into the Indian way of life. They came to conquer the country. Weren't you the one making smart remarks about British people forming town sized ghettos when they moved to America? I was agreeing with you that this was the case hundreds of years ago.

I guess you are talking about people from the Highlands. I'm vaguely aware that at some point they were driven off their land and the owners upgraded to sheep, but I don't know the details. I suppose some of them came to America, but I don't think it was an important migration for American history compared to others. I believe the vast majority of Scottish people to come to what became the USA during colonial times originated near the border with England, and that this was the largest wave of all the major waves of British migration to the American colonies before the Revolution. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I was referring to British people in general, not Scottish people specifically. And it's kind of irrelevant how they got here. Yes, they didn't come to assimilate into the Indian way of life. They came to conquer the country. Weren't you the one making smart remarks about British people forming town sized ghettos when they moved to America? I was agreeing with you that this was the case hundreds of years ago.

I guess you are talking about people from the Highlands. I'm vaguely aware that at some point they were driven off their land and the owners upgraded to sheep, but I don't know the details. I suppose some of them came to America, but I don't think it was an important migration for American history compared to others. I believe the vast majority of Scottish people to come to what became the USA during colonial times originated near the border with England, and that this was the largest wave of all the major waves of British migration to the American colonies before the Revolution. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you confusing Scottish-Irish immigrants with Scottish immigrants?   They were mainly Lowlanders.  The original large scale migration to the USA were those resulting from the Battle of Culloden and were indeed Highlanders.

21 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Are you confusing Scottish-Irish immigrants with Scottish immigrants?   They were mainly Lowlanders.  The original large scale migration to the USA were those resulting from the Battle of Culloden and were indeed Highlanders.

I think the people who came from North England, South Scotland, and North Ireland in the 1700s as the last wave before the Revolution all got grouped together as the Scotts-Irish. 

The way I understand it the most historically important migrations of British people to colonial America were the Puritans to New England, the Quakers to the mid-Atlantic, the Cavaliers and their servants to the Upper South, the Caribbean colonists to the Deep South, and the Scots Irish to the frontier. 

6 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I think the people who came from North England, South Scotland, and North Ireland in the 1700s as the last wave before the Revolution all got grouped together as the Scotts-Irish. 

The way I understand it the most historically important migrations of British people to colonial America were the Puritans to New England, the Quakers to the mid-Atlantic, the Cavaliers and their servants to the Upper South, the Caribbean colonists to the Deep South, and the Scots Irish to the frontier. 

3.1% of the USA population are Scots whilst only 1.9% are Scots-Irish (as of 2010).  

I think you are incorrect regarding the situation in 1700s.  In 1700 there were no Scots- Irish in the USA , with 3% of the population being Scots.  In 1755 4% of immigrants were Scots and 7% Scots-Irish.  That suggests the immigration at the start of the 1700s was from the Highlands and as the century progressed, the Lowlanders started to move over.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

3.1% of the USA population are Scots whilst only 1.9% are Scots-Irish (as of 2010).  

I think you are incorrect regarding the situation in 1700s.  In 1700 there were no Scots- Irish in the USA , with 3% of the population being Scots.  In 1755 4% of immigrants were Scots and 7% Scots-Irish.  That suggests the immigration at the start of the 1700s was from the Highlands and as the century progressed, the Lowlanders started to move over.

The current census stats can't necessarily be relied upon. I'm sure you know the stereotype of the 1/8th Irishman in America. People tend to be more likely to report the more recent portion of their ancestry on the census. Don't quote me on this because it's off memory, but I believe that demographers say that the white population of the US would be 50-60% of its current level if no immigration from Europe happened after the Revolution. In addition, I do believe most of the people who report "American" as their ethnicity on the census live in places the Scots Irish settled.

I do know more about American history than most people, but I'm not an academic. I don't know anything about the Highland Scots settlement of America. Looking around the internet just now it seems that some of them featured prominently as Loyalist Tories during the revolution. Thanks assholes.

As for the last part of your quote, perhaps the Highland Scot dispersed amongst the already settled areas, while the Lowland Scots went to an unsettled frontier creating more of a legacy. No idea whether that's the case. Just a thought.

On 23/11/2017 at 22:03, The OP said:

There are possibly parts of the south side where the proportion of people of Pakistani origin approaches 50% but these are pretty small pockets of difference in a fairly homogeneous city in a very homogeneous country.

Glasgow Southside Scottish Parliament constituency is, according to the 2011 census:

% Asian, Asian Scottish or Asian British 22.3

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:41, D.A.F.C said:

Mass immigration/diversity can lead to ghetto or group situations that cause greater problems. This hasn't happened in Scotland thankfully but it could do in the future possibly. Most of my early experiences of ethnic groups in a 99% white area involved highly respected Asians like doctors or dentists or nice people in a local takeaway who also had kids at my school. There was one black kid at high school who played in the rugby team and was left well alone.

It must have been tough being 1/2000 kids but he was just treated normally as far as I could tell.

Major immigration causes situations like the ghettos in Paris or Belgium which leads to poverty bitterness hate and division which imo led to terrorist attacks. Unfortunately racist groups and the pc brigade use this to suit their agendas and it makes it something that is almost impossible to talk about without someone throwing labels at you.

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but labels will never hurt me.

11 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Well yeah, 300-400 years ago they did. Because they came to conquer the place. It's what invaders do.

10 hours ago, bob the tank said:

300 - 400 years ago the landlords were forceably removing their tenants for sheep?

11 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

300 - 400 years ago the landlords were forceably removing their tenants for sheep?

Not just any sheep though, it was them 'high profit' feckers, a bit of a kick in the teeth for those not making the cut.

The current census stats can't necessarily be relied upon. I'm sure you know the stereotype of the 1/8th Irishman in America. People tend to be more likely to report the more recent portion of their ancestry on the census. Don't quote me on this because it's off memory, but I believe that demographers say that the white population of the US would be 50-60% of its current level if no immigration from Europe happened after the Revolution. In addition, I do believe most of the people who report "American" as their ethnicity on the census live in places the Scots Irish settled.
I do know more about American history than most people, but I'm not an academic. I don't know anything about the Highland Scots settlement of America. Looking around the internet just now it seems that some of them featured prominently as Loyalist Tories during the revolution. Thanks assholes.
As for the last part of your quote, perhaps the Highland Scot dispersed amongst the already settled areas, while the Lowland Scots went to an unsettled frontier creating more of a legacy. No idea whether that's the case. Just a thought.

I wasn't around at the time therefore I can only go on what stats are available. If we decide to cast doubt upon the validity of the stats we do have, then how can we ever reasonably substantiate our position?

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I wasn't around at the time therefore I can only go on what stats are available. If we decide to cast doubt upon the validity of the stats we do have, then how can we ever reasonably substantiate our position?

Just go with opinion, its passed off as fact often enough on here anyway.

Archived