Cultural Diversity In Your Town/Village/Whatever

Hedgecutter

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Excuse my arithmetic, but how is this possible? Whites pretending to be Chinese (Father Ted style)?

It's wikipedia. It's was probably edited by “..somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds.”.

Here's the official one-

Capture.PNG

6 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

To be fair, torture, persecution and ethnic cleansing under the Khmer Rouge would be more appealing than settling down long term in Airdrie. 

Cranhill is not in Airdrie.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Excuse my arithmetic, but how is this possible? Whites pretending to be Chinese (Father Ted style)?

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

It's wikipedia. It's was probably edited by “..somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds.”.

Here's the official one-

Capture.PNG

Hispanic is a separate category after white, black, Asian, etc. have been answered. So, all the other categories besides Hispanic will add up to 100%, then a % Hispanic will be reported. Since most Hispanics consider themselves white as a general rule of thumb you subtract the Hispanic % from the white % to get what most people consider the white %.

Towns where I grew up:
White - 97.1%

Black - 0.7

Native American - 0.3

Asian - 0.3

Other/Two - 1.6

Hispanic - 0.9

White - 96.5

Black - 0.5

Native American - 0.1

Asian - 0.6

Other/Two - 2.4

Hispanic - 4.0

I remember when I was around 5 or 6 I thought any black person I saw when my family traveled to bigger towns must be a pro athlete. I would stare at them trying to figure out which one they were. My parents would have to tell me not to stare at the black people.

I grew up on the mean streets of the English Lake District. Our small town had 2 Pakistani families, one black/white mixed race and the Chinese folks who ran the takeaway. Visits back suggest it's not much more diverse today.

There was a  small Scottish expat community and I think my parents were friends with all of them. As for me, I didn't fully embrace my Scottish heritage until I was about 10 or 11.  Coincidentally, right about the time of the run up to the 1974 World Cup. I got more hassle about it from the teachers than the other kids. 

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

people of African descent

I understand you meant no offence and were lauding diversity but that's not correct. 

Anyway.  My area is superbly diverse but not that wealthy. Im especially pleased by this due to all the amazing restaurants nearby but without so many of the chains you get in posher areas.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I love how asian is an ethnicity.

people might identify by nation, religion, class, skin colour, whatever. By continents, not so much.

Identifying as one group arabs, japanese, Tamils, borneans and kamchatkans is a special kind of stupid.

I agree. 'Asian' should be a persuasion.

The seething hateballs must love that census search facility  :lol: 

More than double the national average of Poles in our area, apparently, and three times the average of 'Asians'. Alloa's definitely become significantly more diverse in the past twenty years, as evidenced by the fact that we had our very own rally against 'immigrants' earlier in the year. Massive turnout, with similar numbers to the one below.

maxresdefault.jpg

People’s perceptions of diversity are pretty out of kilter with reality in my experience. I’ve lived in or around the area which is the heart of the Scottish Chinese community for a few years and it’s still really predominantly white. There are possibly parts of the south side where the proportion of people of Pakistani origin approaches 50% but these are pretty small pockets of difference in a fairly homogeneous city in a very homogeneous country.

I remember working in Airdrie and finding it weird that there were slobbering racists in a town where there are about 5 Asian people and one black guy. 

I remember working in Airdrie and finding it weird that there were slobbering racists in a town where there are about 5 Asian people and one black guy. 

Airdrie has an Orange Lodge. Enough said. Along those lines...

I was brought up in Larkhall and my mother still lives there. As can be expected, it was never the most multi-cultural of places and as far as I can see its not changed in the slightest.

I just presumed that Larkhall having to get Subway to change it's sign from green was some sort of urban myth. Well, now I know...

bee57381182d5d53bfcdd589b73e1c84.jpg

28 minutes ago, The OP said:

People’s perceptions of diversity are pretty out of kilter with reality in my experience. I’ve lived in or around the area which is the heart of the Scottish Chinese community for a few years and it’s still really predominantly white. There are possibly parts of the south side where the proportion of people of Pakistani origin approaches 50% but these are pretty small pockets of difference in a fairly homogeneous city in a very homogeneous country.

Wasn't there a survey around the time of the last election which showed the people most opposed to immigration tended to live in areas where there was the least evidence of it?

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Wasn't there a survey around the time of the last election which showed the people most opposed to immigration tended to live in areas where there was the least evidence of it?

Wouldn't that be most of Scotland ???? :unsure2:

Just now, Shotgun said:

That definitely seemed to be the case during the Brexit vote. People from small towns in England moaning because there is a small Polish section in the supermarket indicating they have been overrun.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

That definitely seemed to be the case during the Brexit vote. People from small towns in England moaning because there is a small Polish section in the supermarket indicating they have been overrun.

Not just in the UK, either. This article followed another one of Cheetohead's attempts to stir up his bigot base.

Places with the fewest immigrants push back hardest against immigration

"The paradox of this emotional debate is that generally the states and communities with the fewest immigrants are pushing to reduce immigration over the objections of the places with the most immigrants."

Archived