Cultural Diversity In Your Town/Village/Whatever

Hedgecutter

This morning I've probably seen more people of African descent than I did in my first ten years living in Aberdeen (2002 onwards), whilst getting a haircut from an Eastern European 'wid'. For avoidance of doubt, this is a good thing (as opposed to my gran's "they're everywhere now" type rant), although I'm too lazy to provide the numerous reasons just now (or blame freezing fingers).

This has me wondering just how diverse the various towns / villages of Scotland are, and this would be a pretty good place for the P&B masses. What's the diversity of your place of residence and how has it changed over the years, or is it still the near-exclusively white village with the only exception being the owner of the local takeaway?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up in Fife, I can remember a girl from South Korea, a couple of families from Pakistan and a family from Azerbaijan. High school was a bit, but really not much more diverse. Certainly my experiences in Fife tie in with stereotypes.
I can remember one of my first impressions of Aberdeen being how diverse it is. I don’t see this as particularly good or bad, just different from what I was used to growing up.

Never mind. Found it... http://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/ods-web/area.html

Here's my area:

All people 142 (postcode) 5295403 (Scotland)
% White - Scottish 79.6 84.0
% White - Other British 10.6 7.9
% White - Irish 2.8 1.0
% White - Polish 0.7 1.2
% White - Other 2.8 2.0
% Asian, Asian Scottish or Asian British 0.7 2.7
% Other ethnic groups 2.8 1.3

Dumbarton  
Interesting facts  
Percentage of households where not all persons are in same ethnic group category 11.1
Ethnicity  
All people 71957
% White - Scottish 85.5
% White - Other British 10.8
% White - Irish 1
% White - Polish 0.2
% White - Other 1.1
% Asian, Asian Scottish or Asian British 0.9
% Other ethnic groups 0.5

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Elgin was such a free spirited place to grow up in the 1970s. 

The only black person in the area I lived in was called Sambo.

We had a Vietnamese 'boat' family move into the area when I was a kid, the youngest kid was called Vihm (maybe not spelt that way though) and ended up being 'Chinky Vihm'. Even at the time it struck me as odd as he was Vietnamese. Ah, simpler times......

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Sorry, I thought you were a massive racist like myself.

I'll find solace elsewhere.

@Shandon Par hows things?

I know what @chomp my root is saying though. Most of Aberdeen from the 70's to the 90's had heard of "Poofy Jojo". This is not meant to offend anyone this is just what he was known by, a big ginger butch guy with a beard from Woodside who dressed like a woman.

We meet change head on in Airdrie. People from my scheme are still referred to as the "New People" by the residents of the older, adjoining scheme 45 years later. Black people were only on the telly.

Several Vietnamese families were put in Cranhill in the early 80s . They turned the back courts in to vegetable gardens, but the locals destroyed them and they went back to Vietnam. Couldn't blame them.

31 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

We had a Vietnamese 'boat' family move into the area when I was a kid, the youngest kid was called Vihm (maybe not spelt that way though) and ended up being 'Chinky Vihm'. Even at the time it struck me as odd as he was Vietnamese. Ah, simpler times......

I'm sure If I'd lived in England as a kid, I'd have been known as Jock

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

We meet change head on in Airdrie. People from my scheme are still referred to as the "New People" by the residents of the older, adjoining scheme 45 years later. Black people were only on the telly.

Several Vietnamese families were put in Cranhill in the early 80s . They turned the back courts in to vegetable gardens, but the locals destroyed them and they went back to Vietnam. Couldn't blame them.

From what I gather, the family by us moved off to be nearer family in the UK, I seem to mind talk of a 'ghetto' and how terrible that was. I think the poor buggers just wanted to stop being picked on and be with folk on the same wavelength/spoke the same etc. 

Elgin was such a free spirited place to grow up in the 1970s. 
The only black person in the area I lived in was called Sambo.

Although I was just a toddler at the time, I remember a Chinese guy who lived around the corner from us in Brechin, called Jimmy Chan. I've never actually found out if that was his real name or a casually-racist joke of my father's. Probably the latter.

This was at a time when Brechin supposedly had an American contingent courtesy of the Edzell airbase. Don't remember anything of that, just 'Jimmy Chan'. The city has now changed in becoming a hotbed for Eastern Europeans working in agriculture, seasonally at least. Brexit may change it all again of course, who knows.

The village we moved to in Fife had one non-UK family from a population of 2000+, who stereotypically owned a series of tandooris around the area.

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

To be fair, torture, persecution and ethnic cleansing under the Khmer Rouge would be more appealing than settling down long term in Airdrie. 

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Sorry, I thought you were a massive racist like myself.

I'll find solace elsewhere.

@Shandon Par hows things?

My sob story is that I was on the receiving end of racist abuse for two episodes as a kid. Living in a Lincolnshire with a very Scottish name and Scottish parents made me fair game. Never had a problem then moved school in about p3 and got a load of abuse from all the boys in the class. Pretty miserable but one morning I decided to put a stop to it a breaktime. Then, moving to Fife with a wee bit of an English accent made me fair game again. Swiftly resolved but it did leave a chip on my shoulder about bullies and racist abuse. Dislike of "darkies" was sadly prevalent even though I probably encountered only 3 black kids all the way through primary and high school. 

My mum taught at some tough schools around Dunfermline and one of her primary pupils said he wanted to join the South African police when he grew up so he could "shoot the blacks".  

Archived