I have the fear again

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as a wee aside, we've already won as many games this season as we did in the whole of last season in all competitions:

2016/17 P43 W9

2017/18 P24 W9

Massive credit to Stevie for that. Also think it says an awful lot about the impact that Durrant has had on the club since his arrival - long may it continue!

That's fucking disgusting from Stelios. It says everything when not a single team mate flinched or even reacted.

His whole 'aghast' performance when the ref pulls the red makes it even worse as well. It's a horror show and an awful excuse for a challenge. He's looked at the guy 3 times before he's hit him, what in the f**k was he even thinking?

If there was a game to miss, it seems like it was this one, so in that sense I'm glad I avoided this mess.

From reports it seems like we were just off the pace all day long, with the red card simply changing the outcome from a likely draw and possible victory to a likely loss.  Dumbarton should get a lot of credit though, as you can only beat what is put in front of you, and it doesn't matter if that is a team at the top or the bottom of the league.

I've looked at the sending off a couple of times and I know that people will think that I am being bias but I see that far more as just a clumsy challenge with trailing arms than anything else. The ref gave a red and I can see why, but look at the replay he's not even looking at the player, his eyes are on the ball all the time. I need a different angle but I'd put it down to bad judgement than necessarily malicious. I could talk more about Stellios but I'll be surprised if he's still with us come the end of the January window. At his best he is a great asset - in short doses - yet at his worst he is a game loser.

Now, the red card shouldn't be used as the cause of our defeat, albeit it's clearly a catalyst. It just seems like we weren't at the races. We are not Celtic, no matter how many signs we put up ;), so we should not expect long unbeaten runs but, all in all, I'm still a lot happier at the way this season is going than last. I'd much prefer this game being looked at as a missed chance to turn the screw on United rather than a huge pothole in the road that will cause instability in the team.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's fucking disgusting from Stelios. It says everything when not a single team mate flinched or even reacted.

His whole 'aghast' performance when the ref pulls the red makes it even worse as well. It's a horror show and an awful excuse for a challenge. He's looked at the guy 3 times before he's hit him, what in the f**k was he even thinking?

Reilly already has his hands on his head before the red comes out, as clear a red you'll see all season. As you say the whole shocked "what did I do?" act is cringeworthy. I didn't make the game yesterday but were Stelios and Wardrop having niggles with each other before that incident? It seems strange to fly in with your elbow aimed at someones face for no reason whatsoever, didn't appear to be any ill will in the game either, a few strong clashes but nothing dirty going by the highlights. Total madness from Stelios.

Reilly already has his hands on his head before the red comes out, as clear a red you'll see all season. As you say the whole shocked "what did I do?" act is cringeworthy. I didn't make the game yesterday but were Stelios and Wardrop having niggles with each other before that incident? It seems strange to fly in with your elbow aimed at someones face for no reason whatsoever, didn't appear to be any ill will in the game either, a few strong clashes but nothing dirty going by the highlights. Total madness from Stelios.

Aye they were. At one point Stellios was right in his face giving him pelters for something and you could see Wardrop getting stuck in (albeit fairly) on a couple of occassions. I can't remember why Stellios was in his face but the St Mirren TV commentators also picked up on it. It was actually a decent battle before Stellios completely lost the plot.

If there was a game to miss, it seems like it was this one, so in that sense I'm glad I avoided this mess.
From reports it seems like we were just off the pace all day long, with the red card simply changing the outcome from a likely draw and possible victory to a likely loss.  Dumbarton should get a lot of credit though, as you can only beat what is put in front of you, and it doesn't matter if that is a team at the top or the bottom of the league.
I've looked at the sending off a couple of times and I know that people will think that I am being bias but I see that far more as just a clumsy challenge with trailing arms than anything else. The ref gave a red and I can see why, but look at the replay he's not even looking at the player, his eyes are on the ball all the time. I need a different angle but I'd put it down to bad judgement than necessarily malicious. I could talk more about Stellios but I'll be surprised if he's still with us come the end of the January window. At his best he is a great asset - in short doses - yet at his worst he is a game loser.
Now, the red card shouldn't be used as the cause of our defeat, albeit it's clearly a catalyst. It just seems like we weren't at the races. We are not Celtic, no matter how many signs we put up [emoji6], so we should not expect long unbeaten runs but, all in all, I'm still a lot happier at the way this season is going than last. I'd much prefer this game being looked at as a missed chance to turn the screw on United rather than a huge pothole in the road that will cause instability in the team.

Even if it was completely accidental (I'm starting to question that) it's still a clear red card. Any player who leads with his elbow/forearm and completely smashes someone in the face is off, accidental/clumsy or not.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Even if it was completely accidental (I'm starting to question that) it's still a clear red card. Any player who leads with his elbow/forearm and completely smashes someone in the face is off, accidental/clumsy or not.

I wasn't at the game, didn't see it other than on video, didn't see the context before (if there was one) or any previous niggles the two players may have had. So everything I say is only conjecture.

From looking at the replay I can see why he's been sent off. We could do the whatabootery and say Livi got away with worse tackles mid week but that is being a bit mealy mouthed. I need to see a few other angles to get a clearer picture.

Stelios appeared to go down off the ball near Wardrop, holding his privates just before the incident.

I wasn't at the game, didn't see it other than on video, didn't see the context before (if there was one) or any previous niggles the two players may have had. So everything I say is only conjecture.
From looking at the replay I can see why he's been sent off. We could do the whatabootery and say Livi got away with worse tackles mid week but that is being a bit mealy mouthed. I need to see a few other angles to get a clearer picture.

I mean the highlights couldn't be clearer. He quite literally smashes Wardrop in the face with his arm. What happened before it is completely irrelevant, as is whether he meant it or not.

Livi players must have been booting your players in the face to be considered worse challenges than that.

I mean the highlights couldn't be clearer. He quite literally smashes Wardrop in the face with his arm. What happened before it is completely irrelevant, as is whether he meant it or not.

Livi players must have been booting your players in the face to be considered worse challenges than that.

A Livi player would never do anything like that, surely?

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Two statements, allow me to answer both.

One, the highlights clearly show he was looking at the ball, and the contact is hidden from the camera angle. So while I am not dismissing your comment, what I am saying is the evidence available to me isn't precise enough to see exactly what went on. You may have had the benefit of seeing it live, I did not.

As for what went before or whether he meant it, sorry but you are very wrong there. Intent is a key factor in fouls. Now before you start defending your position, I am not saying that it shouldn't have been a red, what I am saying is that your assumption that nothing else matters other than the actual contact is not supported by the way referees are asked to interpret the rules of the game.

Secondly, onto Livi, in short, "yes".

8 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Stelios appeared to go down off the ball near Wardrop, holding his privates just before the incident.

That was because one of our players (can't remember who) rattled them with the ball. Wardrop was basically just up Stelios' arse, getting into him and niggling. Stelios lost the plot and deserved his red, it was a cheap shot.

Two statements, allow me to answer both.
One, the highlights clearly show he was looking at the ball, and the contact is hidden from the camera angle. So while I am not dismissing your comment, what I am saying is the evidence available to me isn't precise enough to see exactly what went on. You may have had the benefit of seeing it live, I did not.
As for what went before or whether he meant it, sorry but you are very wrong there. Intent is a key factor in fouls. Now before you start defending your position, I am not saying that it shouldn't have been a red, what I am saying is that your assumption that nothing else matters other than the actual contact is not supported by the way referees are asked to interpret the rules of the game.
Secondly, onto Livi, in short, "yes".

Regardless of what went on before or after it matters not a jot. Whether it was intent or not matters not a jot. An elbow/arm to the face with that sort of force is a straight red card. Not all fouls are determined by the same rules.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Regardless of what went on before or after it matters not a jot. Whether it was intent or not matters not a jot. An elbow/arm to the face with that sort of force is a straight red card. Not all fouls are determined by the same rules.

Yeah, you seem a nice enough poster but you are most certainly wrong in several of your assumptions above. I am sure someone, more educated in this sort of thing than either of us, can confirm but I certainly do not intend to spend the next hour doing a Chuckle Brothers "to me, to you" about the subject.

So let's just agree to disagree for now.  Ultimately it was a red, you won the game, we lost it, and we all move on to next week. It's really not an issue worth arguing about.

Archived