The Chronicles of the Banter Years (2012 - ∞)

How much money did Celtic spend bribing referees to keep Scott Brown on the pitch and judges to keep him out of the jail? Must have been at least a couple of million.

19 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed.

Soccernomics has an interesting chapter on the correlation of transfer fees and success and wages and success.

Admittedly it’s focused on England but the ‘net spend’ of clubs on transfer fees has seemingly very little bearing on the success of a club.

Level of wages however give or take basically predicts a league table.

I'm doubtless overcomplicating this - and I fully get the thrust of the post, plus it'd probably help if I'd read Soccernomics! - but there will be some sort of impact on the level of European competition on offer at a club, too?

First round exits to part-time diddies from Here Be Dragons countries and failing to progres beyond the early stages is significantly less attractive than probable exposure in the CL group stages and beyond. Although that may be covered in a kind of wages premium on players, I guess - Man City's early transfer dealings prior to becoming CL regulars were pretty hit and miss, but they just soaked up any losses on guys like Clauber or whoever else failed to make any impact and reaped the rewards from paying big bux for Kompany, Aguero etc. They're now significantly more attractive thanks to being an established CL side, I'd think.

Taxation (rather fitting subject in this thread) would most likely have an impact on any comparisons between countries, too, although within a league every club is (or fucking should be) playing by the same rules when it comes to their tax liabilities. I think there may be diminishing returns for those paying higher wages on the quality of player you can attract depending on the tax bands - iirc Arshavin ended up with a lower take-home pay when he signed for Arsenal despite nearly doubling his wages, for instance.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

3 hours ago, Jdog said:

The absolute state of her.  Clutching her diamante fucking white spirit adamantly offended about something or other.  You can't possibly want to back up this kind of trout just because you nominally support the same football team.  Surely.

20 minutes ago, Estragon said:

The absolute state of her.  Clutching her diamante fucking white spirit adamantly offended about something or other.  You can't possibly want to back up this kind of trout just because you nominally support the same football team.  Surely.

Actually I've realised why the staff didn't want to handle the bottle directly. They didn't want their fingerprints on it in case it was later used as a petrol bomb.

39 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Calm down hen, she's a bellend for going to the press, but the 2 staff members in a members only club saying their offended selling it and refusing to touch it is equally pathetic, can see them getting demoted or worse for that.

5 minutes ago, Jdog said:

Calm down hen, she's a bellend for going to the press, but the 2 staff members in a members only club saying their offended selling it and refusing to touch it is equally pathetic, can see them getting demoted or worse for that.

Why? It's Costco, not the SFA - Celtic have no influence over them.

42 minutes ago, Jdog said:

Why?

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's not faux outrage.

It's actual, justified outrage.

We live in a society still riven by sectarianism, and the Old Firm are heavily embroiled in the even worse forms of it in Northern Ireland. Rangers choosing an orange strip makes it so much worse in so many ways. The single worst part of it is that it lends credibility to sectarianism in the eyes of those who are influenced by it. It's a nod to them that hey, we all hate the kaffliks really. 

Neither half of the Old Firm has done nearly enough to tackle sectarianism, but Rangers have, in several ways and on several occasions, positively encouraged it.

This doesn't belong on the banter page though, because there's f**k all funny about it. People get seriously hurt. And if you try to laugh it off, you're absolutely part of the problem.

" Actual justified outrage" over a football strips colour.....

Rangers have, in several ways and on several occasions, positively encouraged it." I'm sure that you can provide examples?

You're an awfy intolerant chap Gordy.